Ibrahim Afellay

Culeee

Yaya Toure, Seidou Keita, Maxwell...

well he will only cost 3 mill so i guess its a riskless gamble we can afford to take (will always sell him with profit)..

but i havent seen any of the players you mentioned play week in week out before they came here and i dont remember any of them standing in the way of any masia players.. so im not going to comment on that.. i can say this though, for afellay to ever become barca material pep def has some tuning to do (being nice there :))

Last edited:

Noex

The Swedish Wizard
All Barca could use is a new LB and that's the place where bulk of our transfer kitty should go next summer. Add a cheap tall striker as a backup/plan B option or an experienced Inzaghi/Larsson type and we are set.

huh? dont we have Abidal and Maxwell already? while we have only one RB or am i mistaken?

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
So, Hes versatile and cheap.

Is he primarily used as a CM or a Fwd?

Suppose the minimal transfer fee would reduce the chance of a flop

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
So, Hes versatile and cheap.

Is he primarily used as a CM or a Fwd?

Suppose the minimal transfer fee would reduce the chance of a flop

Supposedly he has historically played as a CM but Cocu moved him around a bit to take advantage of his versatility...So he was flipped to either left or rigth wing, showing his scoring prowess to boot

Truth is, the more I think about him here the more I like it, especially at that price...I can see him playing that left winger role and with that terrific acceleration burst (Esp. with the ball) he has, will be a handful for any defender.

Tomchin

Supposedly he has historically played as a CM but Cocu moved him around a bit to take advantage of his versatility...So he was flipped to either left or rigth wing, showing his scoring prowess to boot

Truth is, the more I think about him here the more I like it, especially at that price...I can see him playing that left winger role and with that terrific acceleration burst (Esp. with the ball) he has, will be a handful for any defender.
I suppose Afellay's arrival implies that Nolito will be shipped out?

Guardian

great deal
I like Afellay, he's Barca type of player, but then there's no room for Fabregas. Barca should get one striker on loan in January. Gabi Milito should be sold or off-loaded, he's finished, he's rarely fit. Maybe Zubizareta should be looking for one good defender for the next summer.

Abidal and Maxwell are both mediocre, Barca need much better players than them. Aly Sissokho from Lyon would be ideal for now.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I suppose Afellay's arrival implies that Nolito will be shipped out?

Good question...That's the elephant in the room, really

Nolito, like Afellay, is out of contract in June...His value will disappear after the winter window so if Barca is to profit from him, they would have to either sell him in the winter or extend him - allowing them to potentially profit later

The thing that I've seen, yet cannot confirm, is that Nolito seems most adept on the left and so that already makes him somewhat one dimensional compared to Ibi...Plus, Nolito hasn't yet played the same level of competition that Afellay has

If it were me, I'd probably try to profit on Nolito in the winter window...Pep seems to be interested in him staying on but that too could be to attempt to elevate his value in the market...But Ibi's arrival would likely spell the end of any first team appearances for Nolito going forward this season

What about his attitude: humble or cocky?

I've read a lot of about the kid, spent a few days researching him pretty heavily...I actually like the way he's matured over the last few years...Someone, whether it's at PSV or family, has guided him well - or perhaps it's just him...Because he's developed an ever so slight edge to his game that you don't often see with Dutch players - except perhaps Sneijder...I got the impression that he started out a bit soft or easy to go to ground as you see with a lot of players from Holland...He could've stayed that way but he toughened up and he is not so quick to hit the ground...Maybe it's that Moroccan background, I don't know

So, I wouldn't call him cocky or soft...He seems confident (Captain at PSV) and mature - interested in winning & scoring...I think that direct part of his game will be a really welcome addition, tbh

Mocro

He is very humble off the pitch. Still lives in the old neighbourhood, even though he is the best paid PSV-player. Iv seen Afellay debut in 2005 and have literally watched every game he played @ PSV since. His development has been remarkable. Year in, year out he dealt with every point of criticism and improved substantially on every aspect. Never complains and is a true winner. All that matters is winning and showing off his skills...but always functional, never just to humiliate his opponent.

In my opinion PSV would be better off to keep Afellay till the summer instead of the 2-4 million that Barca is willing to pay. He is the architect of our midfield. He is a true box-to-box player. He doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty. You can see him defending in the own box and 3 seconds later, after he helped our defenders, you can find hem rushing to the other side to give an assist or score a goal. He can play at any position on the midfield and on the left and right wing. The only player that I know that is even more versatile is Cocu himself.

He has all the qualities to become a sensation in Spain. Every transfer period I was hoping and praying that he wouldn’t leave PSV. Lots of clubs showed interests throughout the years, but he always said that he wouldn’t leave PSV for just any club. Last summer HSV offered 10 million, but he passed. Even though they offered him 3 times the salary he made at PSV. Afellay said he didn’t want to leave, because their coach prefers a defensive play. While he himself wants a coach and club with an attacking philosophy.

IF Afellay has to leave PSV, well then Barca is THE club to go. I would be very proud as a fellow Dutch-Moroccan and as a PSV-supporter if he would be given a change to display his technique and style at a worldclass club like Barca. I just hope it will be after the summer. If all goes well, Ill definately visit a game next season.

Mocro

The part about Ajax and Feyenoord is rubbish though. Dont know who wrote it, but he or she should get the facts straight. When Afellay just started playing soccer PSV had an agreement with Elinkwijk, which is the club from Utrecht where he played till the age of 10 or 11. Hiddink and other scouts saw that he had exceptional talent and thats how he ended up at PSV. Ajax and Feyenoord never had the chance to get Afellay to their club.

Home of Barca Fans