Pre-Season Thread

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
From Sportal:

Mario Suarez suffered a "traumatic brain injury" in Atletico Madrid's 5-1 friendly win over Wolfsburg on Sunday.

The midfielder was left unconscious following a first-half collision with team-mate Cristian Ansaldi, who was challenging Wolfsburg's Ivica Olic for an aerial ball.

Suarez required lengthy treatment on the pitch before being replaced by Tiago, with Atletico later confirming details of the injury.

"Mario Suarez suffers a traumatic brain injury," they tweeted. "He's regained consciousness. He's being taken to the hospital for tests."

Raul Garcia had already headed Atletico in front by the time Suarez was stretchered from the field, and added his second nine minutes after the interval.

A Mario Mandzukic penalty made it three before Naldo reduced the deficit, but further goals from Koke and Hector put Atleti out of sight.

Diego Simeone's men started well and Mandzukic tested goalkeeper Diego Benaglio inside the opening minute as the Liga champions looked to end a run of three matches without a goal.

And it was not long before they were in front, with Garcia rising well to power home a header from Gabi's corner in the 13th minute.

Kevin De Bruyne started to cause problems in the Atleti penalty area, but the visitors had an even bigger issue to deal with when Suarez was felled in the 21st minute.

That injury cast something of a shadow over the remainder of the match, but Garcia did his bit to lift Spanish spirits when he capped a flowing Atleti move to double the advantage in the 54th minute.

And the visitors were three up eight minutes later when Mandzukic was clumsily brought down in the penalty area by Naldo - the referee showing no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

The Croatian dusted himself down to drive the ball straight down the middle and into the back of the net.

Naldo atoned for his earlier mishap by drilling into the bottom left-hand corner from a 67th-minute free-kick, but Koke's curling effort ensured the German club's joy was short-lived.

Hector put the gloss on the result seven minutes from time after being teed up by debutant Antoine Griezmann.

Despite the serious injury to Suarez, the nature of the result and a debut for Griezmann should send the men from the Spanish capital home with at least some cheer.

Martindn

What an awful game, too familiar to last season struggling to play the ball through the middle to Mata/Strikers so bumbling the ball to right wing then proceeding to give it away.

Blackett is very good however so there is that.

Edit: Why are the crowd booing Fellaini? Bastards havent made a peep all game, hes still better than Cleverley ever was.

GET IN SIDESHOW BOB :lol::lol:

Last edited:

BenRobbins

Some fans at OT can be complete idiots sometimes its embarrassing. So distasteful and i hope fellaini can shut a few of them up this season.

XaviMessiGirl

I didn't see it so I don't know the context, but I can't stand to see fans of any club boo their own player. Like that is going to make him play better. I can maybe understand booing a side as a whole after a collective poor performance. But singling out an individual player is wrong IMO.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
I felt sorry for Fellaini, no player deserves booing from their own crowd. Good thing he shut them up in the end.

Unbiased United

Pretty good performance for United. Young was good (again!), Blackett and James really should be in the first team this season, both have done excellent this pre-season. Herrera did well and showed some real glimpses of class. Sadly, Hernandez really just isn't good enough for us anymore. Rooney, Welbeck and RVP are all way ahead of him, and we have young Wilson who scored all four goals against City u21's the other night and IMO should be ahead of Hernandez in the push for a starting place now. A great pre-season for United though, and although it would be foolish to get carried away, there is much more to be positive about than this time last season.

As for the Fellaini incident, it was absolutely disgraceful. Highly likely those 'fans' were largely not the usual match going fans though. Tickets were cheap as chips and on the whole the match goers are REALLY patient with our players/staff, etc (see the patience they showed Moyes last season).... I'm glad he shut the idiots up though, I'm not a big fan of his, but he did well when he came on and certainly shouldn't have had all those idiotic ironic cheers and boo's. I was genuinely embarrassed.

I

instinct

Neuer - Martínez, Lewandowski, Shaqiri, Gaudino, Boateng, Bernat, Rode, Müller, Alaba, Hojbjerg

Langerak - Piszczek, Sokratis, Ginter, Schmelzer - Kehl, Kirch - Hofmann, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang - Immobile

Home of Barca Fans