Semifinal: Netherlands - Argentina 0-0 (2-4 pk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

linetty

I'm having a good laugh at posts I can remember from before the match.

"Just imagine Argentina's defence with Robben running right at them" :lol:

Chainsaw

Killahead
Van Gaal: "I asked two players to take the first kick before deciding on Vlaar because I thought Vlaar was the best player on the field and I thought he had a great deal of confidence. But it goes to show, when push comes to shove it is not easy to score a penalty kick. Everybody knows that."

Gooch

Oh, that was perfect. The perfect ending for a brutish Dutch team - suffering in penalty kicks. Let's hope this is the end of the ugly football that has taken over the Dutch national team over the past few years.

Of course Argentina did play a conservative, fearful, boring match, but this was their first such match. It was a tribute to the Dutch defending and counterattacking.

They won't and can't do the same against the Germans. Germany will play a high line and depend on its midfield rather than its strikers to attack, and this will result in a more open game where hopefully Messi and co can cause some damage. If only di Maria were healthy...

N11JELKA

Oh, that was perfect. The perfect ending for a brutish Dutch team - suffering in penalty kicks. Let's hope this is the end of the ugly football that has taken over the Dutch national team over the past few years.

Of course Argentina did play a conservative, fearful, boring match, but this was their first such match. It was a tribute to the Dutch defending and counterattacking.

They won't and can't do the same against the Germans. Germany will play a high line and depend on its midfield rather than its strikers to attack, and this will result in a more open game where hopefully Messi and co can cause some damage. If only di Maria were healthy...

Agree 100% :emotions16::emotions16::emotions16:

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
We're not even remotely brutish, but oh well. The forum still seems biased because of the kickfest in the 2010 final. Apart from that single match and arguably some Van Bommel tackles in other games, we haven't been a dirty team. Have you guys seen Brazil-Colombia? That was a game/kickfest between 2 proper brutish teams. So why don't they get any hate for it? James Rodriguez and Neymar were consistently brought down cynically in that match. Messi wasn't stopped by us because of kicking, but because of tactics. Yes, we play more defensively than usual, because we probably wouldn't be able to dominate the midfield without Strootman. With him available, and our defenders being more experienced now, I expect us to be more attacking in 2016. Yes, Robben dives sometimes. Is he the only one? What about Alexis? Neymar? Seriously guys, you're overreacting.

N11JELKA

We're not even remotely brutish, but oh well. The forum still seems biased because of the kickfest in the 2010 final. Apart from that single match and arguably some Van Bommel tackles in other games, we haven't been a dirty team. Have you guys seen Brazil-Colombia? That was a game/kickfest between 2 proper brutish teams. So why don't they get any hate for it? James Rodriguez and Neymar were consistently brought down cynically in that match. Messi wasn't stopped by us because of kicking, but because of tactics. Yes, we play more defensively than usual, because we probably wouldn't be able to dominate the midfield without Strootman. With him available, and our defenders being more experienced now, I expect us to be more attacking in 2016. Yes, Robben dives sometimes. Is he the only one? What about Alexis? Neymar? Seriously guys, you're overreacting.

Er is hier ene van holland :p
It doesn't matter, it always going to be the same way, the teams you support, you don't mind if they dive, make mistakes, you just want them to win, and teams you don't support, you take every opportunity to show how awfull they are. If we are going to judge teams objectively, none of them is perfect.

Jesse1509

I don't think they really had it in them. They really needed another creator in the midfield. Kuyt had no ideas, probably should have attempted some crosses at least. De Jong and Wijnaldum were more of a defensive double pivot. Later in the game, they gained more control in the midfield and tried to attack from the center, but rarely penetrated.

Fair result. Argentina perhaps the slightly better team, though I suspect, without Di Maria, Germany will have an easier time handling Argentina than they would have had handling Robben on the counter.

I agree. The game was a bit of a stalemate, but I think Argentina were slightly better. And I think Argentina will actually be an easier opponent for Germany, even though they were slightly better than us yesterday, because LVG has more different attacking options imo. The Argentina forwards and midfielders are more similar imo, whereas we can sub in both pace (Lens, Depay) and height (Huntelaar, Fer). Argentina seems to lack tall strikers in their squad.

I wish both teams good luck in the final. I will be watching as a neutral. Germany has obviously impressed more in earlier matches, but Argentina, like us, are solid defensively and hard to break down, so with a bit of luck they might surprise.

It's a shame Van Gaal didn't switch to 4-3-3 later on in the game, as it might have stretched the Argentina backline more, although I can see his reasoning for not doing so. Also, he wasn't helped by the fitness doubts for De Jong and Van Persie. Also, like someone else said earlier, I would've preferred LVG keeping the exhausted RVP on just to be able to sub in Krul for Cillessen. The latter's attempts at saving penalties were woeful imo.

Er is hier ene van holland :p
It doesn't matter, it always going to be the same way, the teams you support, you don't mind if they dive, make mistakes, you just want them to win, and teams you don't support, you take every opportunity to show how awfull they are. If we are going to judge teams objectively, none of them is perfect.

You're right, but it still bothers me to see that so many people apparantly hate us. Even if I try to distance myself from my roots, I don't see our team as a nasty team. I did think we were brutal in the 2010 final, so it's not like I'm completely biased. I don't see the remarks as an exaggeration, but rather as a misconception based on one fairly recent match. Robben especially is not appreciated for his skill by many, instead he's only called out as a diver. It's a shame some people let negative things overshadow the positive ones. It makes sense, but it's still a shame.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Ron Vlaar's penalty almost goes in while Romero was celebrating:

It wouldn't have counted anyway because Vlaar makes contact with his shoulders:

AccurateBackDowitcher.gif

It would have been hilarious if the ball crossed the line and the ref didn't notice that touch.

Gooch

I don't have the stats, but I believe Brazil and Holland have committed the most fouls per match. Holland was particularly nasty against the smallish teams - Chile and Mexico. The deliberate persistent fouling and intimidation was clear. So this is not just about 2010; this Dutch team is the same.

As for Robben's diving, I don't think it's much more or less than other players - it doesn't bother me too much. It's only his team brutish and cynical play that does.

Jesse1509

I don't think we made bone-crunching tackles or anything like that. Just a lot of minimal fouls. I wouldn't call that nasty personally. And the only intimidation, arguably, that I can think of is Krul's mind games against Costa Rica, and maybe Martins Indi against Diego Costa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans