Confederations Cup 2013 - Final: Brazil 3-0 Spain

Ursegor

World Champion
Another confirmation that at the highest level you need to have 2 defensive midfielders. Good teams are running through this Barca / Spain 4-3-3 at will. Alonso must return next year. And Barca should change its system as well.

Faceless

No more faces at night
I don't like Brasil, so I hope Spain wins. I was hoping someone else would win something for once though, but I'm getting behind my Barca boys again :p

Nuuu! Don't let Spain get the full trophy circle! :lol:
Well the spanish are the clear favorites but why not give the hosts a chance..

Mr Hulot

Another confirmation that at the highest level you need to have 2 defensive midfielders. Good teams are running through this Barca / Spain 4-3-3 at will. Alonso must return next year. And Barca should change its system as well.

2006, 2009, 2011. Do you think we were just lucky? Also, in case you didn't notice, Spain had attacking problems, not defensive.

Ursegor

World Champion
2006, 2009, 2011. Do you think we were just lucky?

I think it's 2013 now.

Also, in case you didn't notice, Spain had attacking problems, not defensive.

You can't seperate attack and defense. When a team has a solid defensive structure the attackers can concentrate more on their own games. If Alonso had provided the much needed steel in midfield Iniesta could have played a lot more liberated and tried to make things happen in the final third instead of dropping back and helping to close down and if Alba wouldn't be such a defensive scrub, Pedro wouldn't have needed to track back so much like an additional leftback.

Xavi and del Bosque apparantely had this discussion as well where Xavi suggested the 4-3-3 whereas del Bosque and the Spanish coaching staff didn't agree. I hope Xavi doesn't become a coach. He's far too much into the Barca philosophy and doesn't see any other way of playing football.

Mr Hulot

I think it's 2013 now.

You can't seperate attack and defense. When a team has a solid defensive structure the attackers can concentrate more on their own games. If Alonso had provided the much needed steel in midfield Iniesta could have played a lot more liberated and tried to make things happen in the final third instead of dropping back and helping to close down and if Alba wouldn't be such a defensive scrub, Pedro wouldn't have needed to track back so much like an additional leftback.

Xavi and del Bosque apparantely had this discussion as well where Xavi suggested the 4-3-3 whereas del Bosque and the Spanish coaching staff didn't agree. I hope Xavi doesn't become a coach. He's far too much into the Barca philosophy and doesn't see any other way of playing football.

So you are telling me that there is a major tactical shift between 2011 and 2013? :lol:
Spain always struggled to score in knockout games, even with your successful double pivot. It is not something new.

The final will be between a team that plays double pivot vs a team that plays the Barcelona system. Let's wait to see the outcome.

Also, if you don't like Barcelona's philosophy and the way Barcelona plays, I wonder why you are(you are? because there are a lot of posters that support other teams.) a Barcelona fan?

footyfan

Calma, calma
So you are telling me that there is a major tactical shift between 2011 and 2013? :lol:

Of course there is. Teams are better at negating tiki-taka now than in 2011. Remember, tiki-taka revived from almost nowhere when Pep came here. The system of possession combined with intense pressing was revolutionary in many ways, after a few years of EPL domination in Champions League. Teams need time and games to learn to cope well and find a solution.

Playing styles are cyclical just as much as teams.

Ursegor

World Champion

Of course. Not in football in general but look no further than how teams played Barca in 2011 and how they are approaching the games now. Barca needs to evolve tactically.

Spain always struggled to score in knockout games, even with your successful double pivot. It is not something new.

Yes but they weren't wide open at the back. Even Nigeria could have score 3 if they had their shooting boots on.

The final will be between a team that plays double pivot vs a team that plays the Barcelona system. Let's wait to see the outcome.

Brazil is a worse team than Spain by far. Especially tactically. That game won't be a measurement of 4-3-3 vs. 4-2-3-1. lol

Also, if you don't like Barcelona's philosophy and the way Barcelona plays, I wonder why you are(you are? because there are a lot of posters that support other teams.) a Barcelona fan?

Barcelona's philosophy shouldn't imply to stick with the same formation forever. I don't even think we need a Xavi successor. Buy a proper defensive midfielder, play him next to Busquets, drop Messi in the #10 role behind a real striker and just let Messi run games. Problem solved.

oz187

Double pivot is more useful in big games and knockout games. Against La Liga teams a single pivot is good enough as evidenced by 100 points. But against tougher opponents a double pivot has distinct advantages. Not only does it give more freedom to the attacking players, but it also forces the opponents to take more risks if they want to try and score.

Home of Barca Fans