Ernesto Valverde - V1

Cule4life

The Culest
2t15ev.jpg

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
About Valverde.

He did EVERYTHING I thought he wouldn't.

Perhaps this is the turning point in the season.

Or he could return to his same old form and start Roberto at RB, bench Dembele and keep playing Rakitic every game :lol:

Joan

Perhaps this is the turning point in the season.

Or he could return to his same old form and start Roberto at RB, bench Dembele and keep playing Rakitic every game :lol:

Dunno.. seeing Rakitić's number on the board almost killed me.

Once you cross the line, there's no turning back.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This would be my team for the Champions League.

I know some people here would prefer Roberto because he adds more in possession, but teams in the CL will punish Barcelona severely if both FBs push up high and one of the flanks is basically useless. Therefore I would prefer a more balanced approach with one WB and one FB.

Messi naturally goes towards the middle so I would use Dembele on the RW where he's probably at his best and Suarez start out slightly to the left and then to his CF position. He goes a bit wider to support Alba when he needs it. This way you won't have the right side of the field being empty and useless or fragile defensively in the case Roberto plays and pushes too high up.

You need someone to then cover up for Alba bombing forward so being realistic it'll prob be Rakitic, but Vidal due to his mobility and energy should be a legit option in away games IMO. We're not going to win playing this style of possession-based football as those teams will press us and Busquets and Rakitic being unable to cope with it could bite us in the ass.

Nothing you can do about the CB pairing although I would prefer Umtiti due to his pace. He's simply faster and better than Lenglet so hopefully he can recover to be there from the QFs. Pique is going to start regardless of how he does so again being realistic, nothing you can do about that.

Semedo has not been very good as a RB for Barcelona, but he can play a role similar to what Abidal did. Be a more defensive RB with his great recovery pace to provide width when needed and act as a 3rd CB as cover on counters.

I might try to convey my thoughts about this lineup in a longer post tomorrow before the Super Bowl, nothing BBZ style, but simply more detailed on why and my thought process behind it. Or I might not and this could be my last here one, we'll see.

Anyway, here's the lineup:

0wtydIu.png

p1wa7kK

Going back to this. Except I think I might have to drop Rakitic for Vidal. Rakitic's positioning is better than Vidal's, but I'm not sure I can entrust him with the responsibility defensively when he can barely move in time to be where he's needed.

YodaMaster

Malcom and Semedo both top 3 performers and MOTM contenders for Barcelona lol. This guy Valverde will have a bad night following that.
But hey "coach knows better" right ?
I thought Malcom and Semedo were shit players who didn't deserve to start games against trash Liga teams at Camp Nou. How is it possible that they performed so well in a Clasico ?
I need explanations from the "coach knows better" theory fans.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Malcom and Semedo both top 3 performers and MOTM contenders for Barcelona lol. This guy Valverde will have a bad night following that.
But hey "coach knows better" right ?
I thought Malcom and Semedo were shit players who didn't deserve to start games against trash Liga teams at Camp Nou. How is it possible that they performed so well in a Clasico ?
I need explanations from the "coach knows better" theory fans.

coach knows better, that's why they started this game and delivered :coffee:

bbz

khaled_a_d

Going back to this. Except I think I might have to drop Rakitic for Vidal. Rakitic's positioning is better than Vidal's, but I'm not sure I can entrust him with the responsibility defensively when he can barely move in time to be where he's needed.

Would still take Raki over Vidal and make Vidal as our 1st/2nd sub tbh.
Right not it seems we have 13 outfield player competing for starting spot
Defense: Pique Lenglet Alba Semedo Roberto
Midfield: Busquets Arthur Rakitic Vidal
Attack: Messi Suarez Dembele Coutinho

The ones in yellow are my choices for the bench, Roberto is better suited as a difference making sub than Semedo and the later seems in better form right now. Vidal seem to perform better as sub so he would be my choice, Coutinho is simply way behind the rest of attack in terms of productivity. At this stage of the season it is about winning not baby sitting players to raise their confidence.
Murillo, Alena & Malcom are trying to get a significant role, but despite encouraging performances they have some long way to go to be competing for starting spot, though Coutinho has a legit argument of being worst player on the team

FCBfan22

I think he might be turning into right direction as a Barca coach. The inclusion of Malcom yesterday was a massive step in the right direction. Still expect some blunders like the game at the weekend. But yesterday, he was spot on.

However, I will reserve my complete judgement about this until he has a full squad at his disposal.

Home of Barca Fans