Your choices for valverde replacement

LABarcaFan

Many of the forum members will probably wonder why "me", who have been one of the biggest supporters of Valverde, is now opening this thread.
Well, one way or another, the end of his Barcelona career is approaching its end, so it will be interesting to discuss who do you think would be the right replacement. I will start this thread with a very possible candidate, whom many of you would love to see back at Camp Nou. His name is RONALD KOEMAN.Ronald Koeman - Netherlands.jpg
Here is his coaching career record:

2001 - 2004 (Ajax Amsterdam)

In 2001/02 R.Koeman won domestic double and even though he won another title in 2003/04, Ajax was kicked out of the UEFA Cup by Auxerre (3:2).
On the following day, Feb. 25/2015, Koeman resigned.

2005 - 2006 (Benfica Lisabon)

In Feb. 2005, he took the vacant head coaching position at the Portuguese champion Benfica and won only the Potuguese Super Cup, finishing in 3 rd place. This suffered
for the manager to leave, one year before the end of his contract.

2006 - 2007 PSV Eindhoven)

He served as head coach of PSV and won the title in the very last game of the season, just 1 point ahead of Ajax.

2007 - 2008 (Valencia)

On Oct. 31/2007 he agreed to be the new coach of Valencia. With that team he won Copa del Rey. The reminder of his tenure at Valencia would prove disappointing. The
team slumped to 15 th place in the league, only 2 points above the relegation zone. He was sucked on Apr. 21, 2008.

2009 - 2010 ( AZ Alkmaar)

Koeman was appointed manager of AZ Alkmaar on May 18, 2009. On Dec. 05, 2009, AZ announced he is no longer in charge, after losing 7 of the first 16 games.

2011 - 2014 (Feyenoord Rotterdam)

On July 21, 2011 he became a manager of the Dutch club Feyenoord, but after three trophy-less seasons, Koeman left the team at the end of 2013 - 14 season.

2014 - 2015 (Southampton - England)

In June 2014, Koeman was announced as the replacement for Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino, signing 3 year contract. His older brother Erwin was appointed
as his assistant. He finished the season on the seventh place. Next year, Southampton finished on the sixth place and got to the group stage of the UEFA Europa League.
After early exit of the tournament, he has resigned.

2016 - 2017 (Everton - England)

On June 14, 2016, Koeman was confirmed as a manager of Everton, signing 3 year contract, with his brother as his assistant again. He led the team to qualification for
the Europa League. Prior to 2017-18 season, Koeman was given the largest ever budget in Everton's history, 150 million pounds to spend on new players. After another
disappointing season, he was sucked by the club on Oct 23, 2017, after his side fell into the relegation zone.

2018 - now (Netherlands national team)

On Feb.06/2018 Koeman was appointed as manager of the Netherlands national team on a four and a half year contract, up to and including the 2022 World Cup.
He has a release clause to Barcelona in the summer of 2020, which apply only to the Catalan team.

Conclusion:

17 years coaching career with 8 different teams !!!
3 national titles ( Ajax - 2, PSV - 1 )
1 Copa del Rey (Valencia)
1 Portuguese Super Cup (Benfica)

Last edited:

KingLeo10

No thanks.

I'd rather we have a guy who knows how to win away CL games at Juve, Madrid, Bayern etc.

His name is Erik Ten Hag.

LABarcaFan

No thanks.

I'd rather we have a guy who knows how to win away CL games at Juve, Madrid, Bayern etc.

His name is Erik Ten Hag.

You are right about that. Koeman is a Barcelona guy, but his coaching career is not very impressive. He has not won anything in European tournaments. Ten Hag, at least took his Ajax team to the semifinals of the CL. Assuming, with a lot better players he can win it with Barcelona.

JohnN

He seems to have a really bad record of never seeing out a contract due to bad results. And those teams didn't have many expectations. He also did better with mid table clubs. Not sure why he is considered a good choice.

Nazario1985

We need an already established Coach, because Messi will not be here forever to carry them again to fame !

The only one i can trust without this criteria is Xavi.

My Top choice list (although not realistic ) :

1. Klopp
2. Allegri
3. Mourinho (Pique will raise a veto for him :D )
4. Xavi

JPM85

I would like to see Ten Hag, because of his game style and the way Ajax is doing the last 1,5 seasons.
The reason why Koeman is mentioned is merely because of his time as a player with Barca, but I would have to say, his coaching records since joining Feyenoord is much different as the story (titles) tell.

He took over Feyenoord in the 11/12 season, after Feyenoord has a really bad spell with ending 10th in the national league. (years before also 6th, 7th and 4th)
There was no money and the coach before Koeman left in the middle of pre-season with losing players Wijnaldum & Fer. During the rebuild he attract players like Guidetti, Pelle & Vlaar and ends up 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. There was no money and he really regained form into the squad.

At Southampton the team reached European football for succesive years and was looking at a stable mid-table team fighting for spots 6-8. Playing attractive football with rising players like Sane.

LABarcaFan

We need an already established Coach, because Messi will not be here forever to carry them again to fame !

1. Klopp
2. Allegri
4. Xavi

I can guarantee you that Mourinho will never be asked to be the head coach of Barcelona. And every Barca fan knows why.

Klopp is not moving out from Liverpool. He just signed new contract.

Allegri !!! He has won the skudetto with AC Milan and 4 cosecutive doubles ( scudetto & Copa Italia ) in 5 seasons with Juventus. He has 2 CL finals with Juve, both times losing to Barcelona (3:1) in 2015 and (4:1) to Real M. in 2017.

Xavi!
He is my favorite for head coach and I am sure, one day he will take over. But, as of now, he has zero coaching experience. When he start his coaching career, it probably will be with lower level team to first establish himself, then take his place in Barcelona.

LABarcaFan

I liked how Ten Hag adapted to the departure of FDJ & Delight

That is because Ajax has the best junior academy in the World and they take talented youngsters from there and sell them to bigger European teams. This is how they finance their academy and the first team.

LABarcaFan

OK. We have mentioned so far two names as Valverde's successors - Koeman and Ten Hag. But, here is another one coming up as a most likely candidate - The Argentinian River Plate manager Marcelo Gallardo.MARCELO GALLARDO.jpg

The Spanish TV Channel El Desmarque and the site - Football Espana are both reporting that Gallardo is almost set as Barcelona's new manager in the summer. The coach itself has accepted the invitation under one condition. He wants Barcelona to make at least 3 signings, before he take over. The players he want are:

Lautaro Martinez from Inter Milan - striker
Nicolas Tagliafico from Ajax - left back
Rodrigo Caio from Flamingo, Brazil - central defender

In order to get this players, Bartomeu first has to get rid of some useless players we have in the roster like Umtiti, Todibo, Firpo, Rakitic, Vidal and Dembele. Then, when the season is over to start working on acquiring these players. It looks like our board has already chosen Gallardo as our new coach. W'll see.

MagIX

1. Klopp
2. Allegri
4. Xavi

My choise is Allegri with Xavi co-trainer

I don't even consider Mou, I would NEVER want him as our coach.

Klopp is a fantastic coach with "underdog" teams where he can impose his will and be coach and manager with a big decision-making margin, not sure in big teams, where there are other balances.

mc_lovin

Allegri looks like a terrible fit. I have my heart set on Koeman with Xavi. One for the authority and one for the idealism.

Home of Barca Fans