IrishCules' Barca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish_Cules

Alright I think we all can see some clear weaknesses in the team at the moment.

-Lack of aerial strength defensively and in attack (the former the more urgent problem). This obviously is exploited at set pieces.
-Lack of strength and leadership in the defence.
-General lack of intensity to our game, both in terms of pressing and urgency on the ball
-Overreliance on Messi for goals – no other serious goal threat making runs behind the opposition defence
-Lack of tactical flexibility

This mightn’t be the most realistic scenario of what is likely to happen this summer but we’d pretty much all have the same teams if it had to be realistic! Here’s what I think should happen......

Transfers

Out:

Pedro €15m: He has been poor for two seasons now. It was between him and Villa staying and I think Vila should stay in case Cavani is injured and we need another striker.

Alexis €20m: He has played well at the end of the season but we might as well get as much money for him now as we can because I don’t think he has a long term future here.

Cuenca €4m:
Jonathan Dos Santos €3.5m
Affelay €5m
Fontas: €1m
Bojan: €0m?
Kerrison: I don’t care, just get rid of him somehow.
Henrique: Same as Kerrison
Barta (loan)
Sergi Roberto (loan)
Muiniesa (loan)

Total transfer budget: €98.5m.

In: I don’t think we need massive changes. We still have a really good squad, especially with all of our players fit. We just need to bring in some quality in defence and in attack.........

CB: Silva €40m: Arguably the best centre back in the world who will bring strength, power, aerial ability and leadership to the defence, all of which are seriously lacking at the moment. He is guaranteed to be a success for a few years. People who are concerned about any potential injuries need to remember that Puyol and Abidal will be fully fit next season if he ever does pick up an injury, which hopefully he doesn’t.

ST Cavani €55m- He is exactly what our frontline needs. We need another goalscorer up front and Cavani guarantees goals. He is an extremely hardworker also and will lead the pressing from the frontline like Eto’o did. He will provide a focal point to the attack, occupying centre backs and allowing Messi more space. His runs behind the back 4 will also provide more options for passes from the midfield, particularly from Cesc. He is fast, powerful and will also provide a bit of height which will be good to have for crosses into the box against team with the bus parked. He also has experience of playing on the wings if we want to play Messi as a false 9 at times.

Delefeou (promoted)
Rafinha (promoted)

Squad:

Gk: Valdes, Pinto, Oier
Defence: Montoya, Alves, Adriano, Puyol, Pique, Silva, Mascherano, Abidal, Adriano, Alba
Midfield: Busquets, Song, Xavi, Thiago, Cesc, Iniesta
Attack: Messi, Cavani, Villa, Tello, Delefeou, Rafinha.

First formation: 4-3-3
[url=http://this11.com] Use this11.com for drawing your football tactics[/URL]

Second formation: 4-2-3-1

Use this11.com for tactics for football

Some points about the team:

GK:

-Let Valdes run out his contract. We can go after Ter Stegan next summer when he only has a year left on his contract.

Defence:

-Make Montoya first choice right back. The kid has buckets of talent and is a much more solid defensively than Dani. He’s good going forward which I think people tend to forget. Obviously Dani would still play his fair share of games.

Midfield:

-Cesc needs to take up more responsibility in midfield. We need to start the transition from Xavi to Cesc/Thiago now I think. Xavi would be rotated into the midfield so he would still play quite a lot. Cesc needs to be trusted as a first choice though initially. I think Cavani’s runs up front will help him. If he doesn’t impress then his future should be considered next summer.
-Give Thiago more playing time then he has had this season. If Cesc doesn’t impress over a long period and Thiago does, make him first choice.
-For tough away games we should consider playing Song in the midfield as well as Busquets as a double pivot, switching to 4-2-3-1. Song can also be used as one of the more advanced players in the midfield 3 if we don't want to use a double pivot, just to add a different dimension to the midfield trio.

Attack:

- Cavani to provide us with more movement, more pace, more height and ultimately more goals. He’ll provide us with a focal point giving Messi more space and he’ll lead the pressing from the front with his insane work rate. Messi will have complete freedom to come in from the right side. It will be kind of like how he plays with Aguero and Higuain for Argentina. Villa will make more central runs also, allowing Alba and Iniesta to provide width. If Messi leaves the right side vacant Montoya or Alves can provide the width. If Cavani is ever injured then Villa can play play as the central striker and we can also play Messi as a false 9 at times as well with whoever on the flanks. Traditional front 3 with the two wide players can also be used.
- Some of you might ask about the likelihood of Villa staying but with Pedro and Alexis leaving, he’ll get more playing time and I think he could be convinced because of this.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
-Lack of aerial strength defensively and in attack (the former the more urgent problem). This obviously is exploited at set pieces.
-Lack of strength and leadership in the defence.
-General lack of intensity to our game, both in terms of pressing and urgency on the ball
-Overreliance on Messi for goals – no other serious goal threat making runs behind the opposition defence
-Lack of tactical flexibility

Agreed on all points.

But looking at your attacking trident, and midfield for that matter, I don't see how would we create the needed intensity.

Let Valdes run out his contract.

Could be dangerous. He is clearly intent on leaving and do we really want to keep an unhappy player?

Irish_Cules

Agreed on all points.

But looking at your attacking trident, and midfield for that matter, I don't see how would we create the needed intensity.

Could be dangerous. He is clearly intent on leaving and do we really want to keep an unhappy player?

Cavani is a player who works extremely hard and he would lead the pressing as Eto'o used to and whoever else plays alongside him and Messi, whether it be Villa or Tello, will be fighting for their place in the side and will also press hard. Hopefully Messi ups his work rate a bit like he used to also. :p

In terms of the midfield, I think Cesc will be desperate to take his chance so I can see him upping his game. There's always Thiago waiting to come in though if he doesn't and he guarantees intensity both in terms of attack and work rate.

As far as Valdes goes if he agreed to stay on for a year then that would be my first choice. If he wants to move on this summer, then sell him for 12 and bring in Ter Stegen for 15 m. I was actually going to edit it this morning because I saw Bartomeau's quote about Valdes wanting to leave (presumably this summer) but it was already posted and the formations had Valdes in them so I didn't bother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans