Mavericky Puig

Raketa10

Clearly by whom? You? Valverde? Board?

You lack credibility for many reasons but mostly due to being incapable of assessing talent

Yeah apparently you know much more than people who watch him in training every single day. You definitely have a better credibility for that than professionals out there. So if he doesn't play for A team only because our manager is an idiot how come he was never called up in any Spain NT category??? How come if Valverede is incapable of assessing talents Fati got his chance with only 16y of age? Some of you are 100% blind when we talk about home grown players from La Masia and all of that because we had that ONE unbelievable La Masia generation in 120 years of this club. Name me ONE player who was treated wrong here and who made a huge career in some other club apart from Thiago. And with Thiago the mistake was made with his low release clause (and midfield overbooking) and not because no one believed in him.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah apparently you know much more than people who watch him in training every single day. You definitely have a better credibility for that than professionals out there. So if he doesn't play for A team only because our manager is an idiot how come he was never called up in any Spain NT category??? How come if Valverede is blind to all talents Fati got his chance with only 16y of age? Some of you are 100% blind when we talk about players from La Masia.

Ansu wasn't playing for the NT either, until he was actually playing in the first team of Barca - skipping the B team altogether, so what's your point? La Roja is the barometer? Some of you are 100% blind, incapable of formulating your own opinions without regurgitating someone else's metric

Think for yourselves

Raketa10

Ansu wasn't playing for the NT either, until he was actually playing in the first team of Barca - skipping the B team altogether, so what's your point? La Roja is the barometer? Some of you are 100% blind, incapable of formulating your own opinions without regurgitating someone else's metric

Think for yourselves

Ansu Fati was 16y old and was born in Guinea Bissau while Puig is 20y old born and raised in Spain so stop talking bullshit. If you have some indisputable facts why Puig is Barca starting material just show them to us. Saying "he is tallented because I say so" is not the fact but rather an opinion from highly biased barcaforum member.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Something to consider:

Todibo:
20 years:
1. played by EV
2. has 5 NT youth caps for France

2. Wague:
21 years:
1. played by EV
2. has 7 youth NT caps for Senegal
3. and 18 senior NT caps

3. Carles Perez
21 years:
1. played by EV
2. 18 youth NT caps

4. Carles Alena:
soon to be 22 years old:
1. played by EV
2. has 34 youth NT caps

5. Ansu Fati:
17 years:
1. played by EV
2. has 2 youth Spanish NT caps

Riqui Puig:
20 years:
1. is NOT played by EV
2. was NEVER called by ANY youth NT coaches

Of course, it is always possible that a coach and NT coaches made several mistakes...
But the simplest answer is way closer: Puig has a nice talent, but not at Barca's level for a current times where midfielders need to be more physical and attacking-playmaking-defensive-workhorse allrounders.

JohnN

I feel he is just too little to compete at the highest level. I could be wrong.
Still, no reason to burn rakitic to the ground against inter in a meaningless game and not call him up to see what he's got. Even if he was shit, rakitic would be rested.

khaled_a_d

He has a chance to make it, he looks stronger this year IMHO.
But I think the club is right to take things slowly, he is getting stronger, learning to dominate the game at this level before being thrown to the wolves in 1st team football.
If he makes it here it is likely when he is 23-25 rather than 20-21

Raketa10

Something to consider:

Todibo:
20 years:
1. played by EV
2. has 5 NT youth caps for France

2. Wague:
21 years:
1. played by EV
2. has 7 youth NT caps for Senegal
3. and 18 senior NT caps

3. Carles Perez
21 years:
1. played by EV
2. 18 youth NT caps

4. Carles Alena:
soon to be 22 years old:
1. played by EV
2. has 34 youth NT caps

5. Ansu Fati:
17 years:
1. played by EV
2. has 2 youth Spanish NT caps

Riqui Puig:
20 years:
1. is NOT played by EV
2. was NEVER called by ANY youth NT coaches

Of course, it is always possible that a coach and NT coaches made several mistakes...
But the simplest answer is way closer: Puig has a nice talent, but not at Barca's level for a current times where midfielders need to be more physical and attacking-playmaking-defensive-workhorse allrounders.

But but all those coaches are blind and he will be our new Iniesta!!! :D I can't believe people are accusing some of us for hating our young prospects! I would be FUCKING DELIGHTED if Alena and Puig turned out to be our new stars but let's be realistic here! What are the odds for that and why in the name of God would anyone deliberately play a worse player every single game?!?! No one is that dumb, not even Valverde.

I agree that they should have gotten more chances but as I already said if you are hugely talented and if you keep working hard you will get your chance sooner or later.

Last edited:

fergus90

But but all those coaches are blind and he will be our new Iniesta!!! :D I can't believe people are accusing some of us for hating our young prospects! I would be FUCKING DELIGHTED if Alena and Puig turned out to be our new stars but let's be realistic here! What are the odds for that and why in the name of God would anyone deliberately play a worse player every single game?!?! No one is that dumb, not even Valverde.

I agree that they should have gotten more chances but as I already said if you are hugely talented and if you keep working hard you will get your chance sooner or later.

I half agree with this but you cannot underestimate Valverde's stupidity, or use his judgement on a players ability as a credible metric. For example, can you honestly tell me that Alena was that catastrophically bad in the season opener to justify hauling him off at half-time to then be ignored for 3 months? Roberto to me struggled just as much, if not more than Alena that game.

Alena since being back in the fold, has looked perfectly capable at being a good squad player for Barcelona and given more minutes and experience, maybe could develop his game further. At Inter he had some really bright moments. Whilst in the meantime players like Busquets who is now utterly useless if the player and the ball is behind him, get given plenty of opportunities.

Rakitic almost cost a goal against Dortmund (then performed reasonably well afterwards), Vidal at times has looked reckless, however, if that was Alena he would be in the wilderness for months. Arthur can't seem to stay fit for a reasonable run of games.

Certain players are used sporadically by Valverde, others are relentlessly given chance after chance. If another coach comes in and see's nothing special then I'd be inclined to agree but whilst Valverde is here I'll pass judgement on dismissing Alena and Puig.

Gnidrologist

It's astonishing how people still give even single credit to Ernie's decishunz making.
Call ups to Spain's NT is at least somewhat relevant, but still dodgy argument given how Barca B plays in third league, while many other players of the same age and pedigree can enjoy time in first teams due to not having to compete with Team De Galacticos that buys 100k players every transfer window into already super expensive veteran stacked squad.

BusiTheKing

The current Premier League top scorer scored his first Premier League goal at age 27. There's no prescriptive formula for making a player. He's got plenty of time. The main thing right now is potential, and if you're watching him and telling me that he hasn't got something special then you need you eyes checked.

Raketa10

I half agree with this but you cannot underestimate Valverde's stupidity, or use his judgement on a players ability as a credible metric. For example, can you honestly tell me that Alena was that catastrophically bad in the season opener to justify hauling him off at half-time to then be ignored for 3 months? Roberto to me struggled just as much, if not more than Alena that game.

Alena since being back in the fold, has looked perfectly capable at being a good squad player for Barcelona and given more minutes and experience, maybe could develop his game further. At Inter he had some really bright moments. Whilst in the meantime players like Busquets who is now utterly useless if the player and the ball is behind him, get given plenty of opportunities.

Rakitic almost cost a goal against Dortmund (then performed reasonably well afterwards), Vidal at times has looked reckless, however, if that was Alena he would be in the wilderness for months. Arthur can't seem to stay fit for a reasonable run of games.

Certain players are used sporadically by Valverde, others are relentlessly given chance after chance. If another coach comes in and see's nothing special then I'd be inclined to agree but whilst Valverde is here I'll pass judgement on dismissing Alena and Puig.

Well I agree that Valverde is also a big factor but if you consider current level of Raki, Busi and Vidal I honestly find hard to believe that they wouldn't get their chance if they were half decent in training. It's visible from the sky that Raki, Busi and Vidal are not on required level anymore.

gregorrin10

With Alena unfortunately already gone for 6 months, the one possible positive could be the break this kid's been waiting for. Hopefully Setien calls him up to the first team like he'll have to do with Fati and Perez with Suarez out for the season. Need to get rid of at least one of Rakitic or Vidal first before the January window closes though.

Home of Barca Fans