Thiago Alcantara

Garrus

Isn’t this whole saga familiar to everyone in here.

Campaigning to bring our original la Masia gem back home, Where his qualities in midfield will elevate our team to a new level.........

It’s the cesc fabregas fiasco all over again, Except for these major differences between him and Thiago.

1-Cesc was actually Arsenal’s best player and leader at a time where the gunners were less of a joke than they are now (They actually managed to qualify for UCL) and they did everything they could to keep him, While Bayern seem more than happy to get rid of Thiago, And as I remember, Bayern have the same goal as us, Which is winning the CL.

2- Fabreags was three years younger than Thiago right now when we signed him.

3- Cesc never had the atrocious 3+ months injury history of Thiago, Where the cause is clearly genetic, Just by looking at his brother.

Only one word I will say....

PASS!

George_Costanza

Isn’t this whole saga familiar to everyone in here.

Campaigning to bring our original la Masia gem back home, Where his qualities in midfield will elevate our team to a new level.........

It’s the cesc fabregas fiasco all over again, Except for these major differences between him and Thiago.

1-Cesc was actually Arsenal’s best player and leader at a time where the gunners were less of a joke than they are now (They actually managed to qualify for UCL) and they did everything they could to keep him, While Bayern seem more than happy to get rid of Thiago, And as I remember, Bayern have the same goal as us, Which is winning the CL.

2- Fabreags was three years younger than Thiago right now when we signed him.

3- Cesc never had the atrocious 3+ months injury history of Thiago, Where the cause is clearly genetic, Just by looking at his brother.

Only one word I will say....

PASS!

The above comparison similar to Columbus landing in the wrong place and mistaken America for India.

raki

I love Thiago BUT it was him who left us in a disgusting move to go to Bayern to licks Pep´s balls.
The way he left was atrocious.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Wow. He left because he wanted to start sooner than later. With Cesc at Barca it was hard for him. We signed Pique back once he became good. Why did he leave then? Thiago would be a good addition to the squad and would fit our style very well. But looks like valverde will sign his physical wacko and force us to play 4-4-2. I just hope our wingers do good to convince him to go with 4-3-3 by making Vidal squad player and not a guaranteed starter.

raki

Wow. He left because he wanted to start sooner than later. With Cesc at Barca it was hard for him. We signed Pique back once he became good. Why did he leave then? Thiago would be a good addition to the squad and would fit our style very well. But looks like valverde will sign his physical wacko and force us to play 4-4-2. I just hope our wingers do good to convince him to go with 4-3-3 by making Vidal squad player and not a guaranteed starter.

Leaving with 16 years is a LOT different that going after Guardiola with 21 or 22.

I love Thiago but that was a snake move on his part. Just my 2 cents.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I love Thiago BUT it was him who left us in a disgusting move to go to Bayern to licks Pep´s balls.
The way he left was atrocious.

Disgusting, atrocious? Calm down mate.

He left to chase his personal glory. Just like pep did and is still doing. For some it's hard to accept that some Barca boys value their own glory and ambition more than Barca but it's really not that big of a deal. They can suit themselves, Barca is bigger than any individual.
It's worth noting that neither pep nor thiago topped their Barca careers. :)

raki

Disgusting, atrocious? Calm down mate.

He left to chase his personal glory. Just like pep did and is still doing. For some it's hard to accept that some Barca boys value their own glory and ambition more than Barca but it's really not that big of a deal.
It's worth noting that neither pep nor thiago topped their Barca careers. :)

But now he is doing a charm operation to come. Ppep left after doing it all. He was burnnout.
Thiago left without doing nothing of that kind.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Even Xavi was on the brink of leaving. It is not like all our lineup is filled with die hard Barcelona fans anyway. You can say he is injury prone and don't want him at Barca for that. That is a valid point but this is just a broken record.

gasgas

Even Xavi was on the brink of leaving. It is not like all our lineup is filled with die hard Barcelona fans anyway. You can say he is injury prone and don't want him at Barca for that. That is a valid point but this is just a broken record.

he's also not good enough

soul24rage

Cesc arrived in 2011. Thiago left in 2013.

Thiago would have only had to compete with Xavi and Iniesta in 2013 if Cesc didn't arrive back in 2011 so he would have definetly seen more opportunities. Thiago probably left because he didn't think he would have opportunities to get more games.

Devils

It seems there is a a portion of the board who want to bring him back and there are also a portion who are against it. Rumors were that some board members don't like the idea of bringing back a player who left.

Barcelona are really trying these days to tie down their most promising young players with huge buyout clauses and long contracts with extension options.

This is just my theory, but perhaps Barca doesn't want to set a precedent where they spend big money on a former Masia player because they don't want current young players to think that they can leave for greater successes but still have Barca to fall back on in the future if things don't go so well and they want to come back.

This seems to be the case with both Thiago and Bellerin who both alluded to being open to returning to Barca but the price of both these players were through the roof.

And before people start mentioning Pique, Cesc, Alba etc...the market has gone crazy since those days and signing top players has exponentially increased in price.

Personally, I like this approach.

Last edited:

Joan

Thiago would have only had to compete with Xavi and Iniesta in 2013 if Cesc didn't arrive back in 2011 so he would have definetly seen more opportunities. Thiago probably left because he didn't think he would have opportunities to get more games.

Ironically, we might do the same to Arthur/De Jong (if he comes)/Alena/Puig now by signing Thiago.

soul24rage

Ironically, we might do the same to Arthur/De Jong (if he comes)/Alena/Puig now by signing Thiago.

I think maybe this is also part of another reason why we are signing Vidal rather than Thiago because the likes Vidal, Busi, Rakitic might not going to be useful in 2 years time while easing the likes of Arthur, Alena, Puig and De Jong (if he comes) and giving assurances?

Home of Barca Fans