Juan Antonio Pizzi

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
juanantoniopizzifcbarce.jpg

Short spell at Barca but nevertheless one of the most favourite Barca player in last 10 years.

During the 1995/1996 season, while playing for Tenerife, he won the Pichichi with 31 goals in 41 matches, and obtained the European Golden Boot.
After Tenerife he transfered to Barcelona where he attained the nickname "Lizard"
Who can forget that goal in 5:4 Copa del Rey victory over Atletico Madrid.

He didnt play a lot with Ronaldo and Giovanni being Robsons first choice. If he did I bet he´d score over 20 goals a season easily.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
That was a crazy game back in 97`. I watched it live and taped it on VHS. (Ancient history, isn`t it?)
That match was one of the most emotional games Barca ever played. It was a semi-final Copa match vs. Atletico Madrid. (The competition we eventually won that very season). We were down 0-3, with Baia, Blanc and Couto making blunder mistakes in defence. And then Bobby Robson called upon Hristo Stoichkov and Juan Antonio Pizzi to warm up. My heart was beating. (I was eager to see Hristo, as he hasn`t played much that season and he was my favourite player). And on the wings of those 2, Ronaldo, De La Pena and Figo, miracle happened. We came back from 3 goals down and won that game 5-4 with that very goal you posted. And mind you, Atletico were nothing to sneer at. They were the reigning Champions.
As for the crowd and the ambient... You won`t see that kind of passion anymore. I know I haven`t ever since.

M.L. King

The Preacher
Maybe only one game when Rivaldo scored hat-trick with that bicycle kick in the last minute against Valencia in the last minute when the crowd went mad. This was one of my climaxes in Barca history I can remember.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Update:

Former Barca player Juan Antonio Pizzi, now coach of San Lorenzo, won Argentine First Division championship!

San Lorenzo, coached by former Barcelona and Spain striker Juan Antonio Pizzi, topped the Inicial championship with 33 points from 19 matches, two more than Velez, Newell's and Lanus.
It was San Lorenzo's 12th league title in the professional era and first since the 2007 Clausura championship.

"We won a very even tournament of a very high standard... leaving the two biggest clubs with the two top coaches by the wayside," said Pizzi, referring to Boca Juniors and River Plate.

0003739527.jpg

JamDav1982

Update:

Former Barca player Juan Antonio Pizzi, now coach of San Lorenzo, won Argentine First Division championship!

San Lorenzo, coached by former Barcelona and Spain striker Juan Antonio Pizzi, topped the Inicial championship with 33 points from 19 matches, two more than Velez, Newell's and Lanus.
It was San Lorenzo's 12th league title in the professional era and first since the 2007 Clausura championship.

"We won a very even tournament of a very high standard... leaving the two biggest clubs with the two top coaches by the wayside," said Pizzi, referring to Boca Juniors and River Plate.

0003739527.jpg

Being tipped as next Valencia manager.

B

BarciDarci

That was a crazy game back in 97`. I watched it live and taped it on VHS. (Ancient history, isn`t it?)
That match was one of the most emotional games Barca ever played. It was a semi-final Copa match vs. Atletico Madrid. (The competition we eventually won that very season). We were down 0-3, with Baia, Blanc and Couto making blunder mistakes in defence. And then Bobby Robson called upon Hristo Stoichkov and Juan Antonio Pizzi to warm up. My heart was beating. (I was eager to see Hristo, as he hasn`t played much that season and he was my favourite player). And on the wings of those 2, Ronaldo, De La Pena and Figo, miracle happened. We came back from 3 goals down and won that game 5-4 with that very goal you posted. And mind you, Atletico were nothing to sneer at. They were the reigning Champions.
As for the crowd and the ambient... You won`t see that kind of passion anymore. I know I haven`t ever since.

I still remember the game myself. I wasn't really into football that much but, my father was screaming and asking my mom "did you see that, did you see that kick". He also has it taped, but I can't believe it was when I was just 7..

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

Man, we were celebrating that win more than our 3 ensuing CL final victories. :)
Wish we see that passion back at FCB

Galning

Modern football has ruined it. The prices are so ridiculously high & you can't do anything anymore in a stadium. I don't remember the game, was only 5 back then. Great to see it now :D

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Pizzi's been sacked and is set to be replaced by Nuno from Rio Ave. Shame, I thought Pizzi had done a decent job with the time he'd had.

D

DeboraLee

You won`t see that kind of passion anymore. I know I haven`t ever since.

Home of Barca Fans