Royal Emirates Group Purchases Un-Named La Liga Team

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
La Liga side set for Team Dubai rebrand
April 19, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Royal Emirates Group, the investment arm of the Dubai royal family, has bought an as yet unnamed La Liga club and is set to rebrand the team and invest heavily.

Early reports indicated that the club in question was Real Zaragoza and suggested that the cash-strapped outfit would be renamed 'Team Dubai'.

But a spokesperson for Royal Emirates Group, owned by Sheikh Butti Bin Suhail Al Maktoum, confirmed to ESPNsoccernet that Zaragoza are not the club in question and that the club that has been bought will not be completely renamed.

The spokesperson said: "It is a Spanish La Liga Division side. The team will not be renamed but it will be titled as '[club's name] Team Dubai' in order to deliver the message that Dubai care."

The team's identity will be revealed at a press conference on Thursday but ESPNsoccernet understands that the club in question are a mid-table, debt-free Primera Division side who have enjoyed some domestic success in recent seasons and have participated in European compeition.

The club's chairman and several high-profile players are due to arrive in Dubai on Wednesday.
------------------------------------------

I don't even know how to respond to this

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
La Liga side set for Team Dubai rebrand
April 19, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Royal Emirates Group, the investment arm of the Dubai royal family, has bought an as yet unnamed La Liga club and is set to rebrand the team and invest heavily.

Early reports indicated that the club in question was Real Zaragoza and suggested that the cash-strapped outfit would be renamed 'Team Dubai'.

But a spokesperson for Royal Emirates Group, owned by Sheikh Butti Bin Suhail Al Maktoum, confirmed to ESPNsoccernet that Zaragoza are not the club in question and that the club that has been bought will not be completely renamed.

The spokesperson said: "It is a Spanish La Liga Division side. The team will not be renamed but it will be titled as '[club's name] Team Dubai' in order to deliver the message that Dubai care."

The team's identity will be revealed at a press conference on Thursday but ESPNsoccernet understands that the club in question are a mid-table, debt-free Primera Division side who have enjoyed some domestic success in recent seasons and have participated in European compeition.
The club's chairman and several high-profile players are due to arrive in Dubai on Wednesday.
------------------------------------------

I don't even know how to respond to this
Depor or Espanyol.

M

mishie

another example of peoples football club being used as a advertising brand. i know money makes the world but would Sevilla fans be happy with "Sevilla Team Dubai"?
in my opinion another classic case of a clubs history being overlooked (possibly tainted) just some mega rich people can play football owners

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
And they definitely did not enjoy domestic success over recent years either.

All this is guesswork anyway. We'll see on Thursday. In any case, "Team Dubai" :facepalm:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
If it helps make la liga a 3 way contest for the title rather than real-barca all the time, then it may turn out to be a good move. Depends on the club.

Home of Barca Fans