Champions League: PSG - FC Barcelona 3-2

yahudi

The incohessiveness of the pressing and poor marking on set pieces is what really hurt Barca yesterday.

Concerning the set pieces, Barca is actually on a good way to return to the zonal marking after Tata's man marking experiment. Coupled with the slightly increased height across the team, we're likely to see improvements later in the season.

The lack of cohessive pressing might be due to players not being sharp midweek, as the other unconvincing games were also midweek. Maybe Lucho's training is designed so that the team arrives to weekend Liga games in their best form. The downside is obviously less fitness in Tuesday/Wednesday CL and Copa games.

edit: kevwill from bfb actually just wrote a piece on that topic after the granada game:
http://www.barcelonafootballblog.com/23038/bara-6-granada-0-aka-difference-days/

edit²: TWO unconvincing games (Apoel, Malaga). both midweek

Last edited:

PhilS

I'm not sure Messi was Barca's best player yesterday, though he was fantastic. Cavani was doing everything he could to keep PSG from winning. You have to give Lucho and the Barca defense credit for the brilliant tactics of allowing Cavani to receive the ball at all times. Just like Barca's opponents allow Alves to get the ball, which Alves sometimes punishes but not last night.

It seems like this forum never gives the opponents credit. Lucas was incredibly good, just like in some of his other games against Barca. Pastore was much better than usual, as was their keeper. It is fashionable to trash Luiz, but despite his lack of dependability at CB, he is a wonderful player. All he needs is a new position.

No, Barca as a whole was not terrible yesterday. Both Barca fullbacks were badly outplayed, which means they both had bad games, not that they are terrible. On the free kick concession, I give equal blame to Alves, the very short Alba, and Masch. Masch got beat by a superb big man. As a Barca CB, Masch is overall very good even though he does indeed have problems on set plays against real quality. On the corner concession, Rak was defending 3, this was not just his fault.

Lucho could have given Ter Stegen a warmup game, or started Bravo. For PSG, Atletico, RM, maybe Masch is not the right choice at CB. I thought the two Barca forwards brought on as subs both should have scored, Iniesta had fine chances also. I am just sick at Alba's refusal to shoot, let's see Adriano, who will also be better defending set plays.

It is definitely time to see Masch start at DM or RFB. His open field defense and passing have to be on the field, both Busquets and Alves are looking like they need less playing time, Pique needs more.

The real meaning of this loss is that it increases the likelihood of Barca needing to play the first team through all 6 group games, I still rate Barca favorite to win Group F.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it doesn't need over-thinking. Barca dropped points at Malaga and then showed up hungry to make amends vs. Granada. Satisfied to have proved a point after trashing them they felt too content and fell asleep vs. Paris. Clearly lack of motivation.
We lost to a inferior team (on paper) consisting of 2 Barca rejects and playing without their captain (Thiago Silva) and best player (Ibra). It was an abysmal showing bar Messi and Neymar goals.
People just need smart answers to explain what's really simple. Pep left because he couldn't motivate players like he used to (his words). So there you have it. A chronic ache of FC Barcelona.

serghei

People just need smart answers to explain what's really simple. Pep left because he couldn't motivate players like he used to (his words). So there you have it. A chronic ache of FC Barcelona.

It's not just the motivation. The tactics are screwed up too.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You can have the best tactic but that won't make players run and fight. Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta-Messi is what won us titles. Look at the videos from 2009 and see how they pressed compared to now.

serghei

You can have the best tactic but that won't make players run and fight. Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta-Messi is what won us titles. Look at the videos from 2009 and see how they pressed compared to now.

No. But a good tactic could have saved the result.

jairzinho

Couldn't help think what Tata's approach would have been compared to Lucho's against PSG. Maybe lucho can take a note from Martino on being pragmatic and cautious when the circumstances call for it.

Bucky

Penya Member
Ugh I got bored after the drivel on page 13/14 I can't remember.

Yeah it's our first loss, get over it. It was shambles at the back as PSG had clearly done their homework and attack us on the counter with pace and efficiency, they did look dangerous but it's our garbage defense & lack of cover.

I pretty much hold my breathe and can barely look when defending set pieces because we're so bad at them.

There are positives to take from this and that is Barça looked dangerous on the attack with some unfortunate misses by Iniesta that would have been great (obviously) if they had gone in but nice to see they have the balls to take shots outside the box instead of walking it in.

Messi, Neymar & Iniesta were hooking up which was great.

Rakitic, Busquets and the defense were sleeping. Some very sloppy passing which we have seen pretty much every game so far this season which is still worrying; PSG capatilised on this, intercepted or picked up the ball and ran at us as we looked scared. It was quite an experience for Ter Stegan that's for sure and was out of position? Or would you blame the defense? PSG were solid at the back and they grew tired towards the end but it was their wall that stood up and we couldn't get through.

Munir had an amazing shot and was very unlucky that it caught the wrong side of the post. Sandro missed a sitter but here's to hoping they improve.

We looked hungry and determined after they scored their third. It was painful but don't be so fickle and disheartened for goodness sake! lol We can't win everything.

Howlgrana

Yeah it's our first loss, get over it. It was shambles at the back as PSG had clearly done their homework and attack us on the counter with pace and efficiency, they did look dangerous but it's our garbage defense & lack of cover.

I pretty much hold my breathe and can barely look when defending set pieces because we're so bad at them.

There are positives to take from this and that is Barça looked dangerous on the attack with some unfortunate misses by Iniesta that would have been great (obviously) if they had gone in but nice to see they have the balls to take shots outside the box instead of walking it in.

Rakitic, Busquets and the defense were sleeping. Some very sloppy passing which we have seen pretty much every game so far this season which is still worrying; PSG capatilised on this, intercepted or picked up the ball and ran at us as we looked scared. It was quite an experience for Ter Stegan that's for sure and was out of position? Or would you blame the defense? PSG were solid at the back and they grew tired towards the end but it was their wall that stood up and we couldn't get through.

I agree the attack looked good. It's obvious though, Barca ain't winning anything if they concede 3 goals in a game. Like someone posted earlier, the key in CL matches is minimising errors and the best way to do that is approach matches looking to control the possession.

Getting hit with counters all over the shop and with both full-backs flying forward is a recipe for disaster, and that was shown last night.

Bertus

Munir had an amazing shot and was very unlucky that it caught the wrong side of the post. Sandro missed a sitter but here's to hoping they improve.

We looked hungry and determined after they scored their third. It was painful but don't be so fickle and disheartened for goodness sake! lol We can't win everything.

Just train your set-pieces and it should be okay, really.

Can't believe Verratti scored a header while he never scores any goal and is only 165 cm.

By the time they meet again, I hope to not see mistakes like this again.

jairzinho

Just train your set-pieces and it should be okay, really.

Can't believe Verratti scored a header while he never scores any goal and is only 165 cm.

By the time they meet again, I hope to not see mistakes like this again.

Can't believe David freakin Luiz is given time and space to score with his feet in the 6 Yard area. It's pretty early, so there's plenty of time to sort out issues like this. Perhaps maybe it was a good thing to have a team like PSG in the group to highlight our weak areas so we can know how good we are early on instead of being found out when it really matters.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't know how you can get better in set-pieces. I mean..... Apparently Real Madrid practice both attacking and defensive set-pieces a lot and while they are quite good in the attacking ones, they just look like a bunch of clowns not knowing what to do at the defensive ones in which they end up conceding a fair amount of goals which is quite strange IMO.

But yes, to allow a not so tall player like Verratti score is just very bad.

Last edited:

Schumi

I don't know how you can get better in set-pieces. I mean..... Apparently Real Madrid practice both attacking and defensive set-pieces a lot and while they are quite good in the attacking ones, they just look like a bunch of clowns not knowing what to do at the defensive ones in which they end up conceding a fair amount of goals which is quite strange IMO.

But yes, to allow a not so tall player like Verratti score is just very bad.

Verratti is not just "not tall". He is a proper midget. More of a midget than our own midgets. :)

Icarium

Lifestealer
Verratti scoring in set piece is the worst that could have happened defensively. Mats never ever do that.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Home of Barca Fans