Do you actually think Zinedine Zidane is a great coach?

Do you actually think Zinedine Zidane is a great coach?

• Total voters

El Flaco

It's a bit 1 year ago since Zizou was appointed as Real Madrid coach after Rafa Benitez.

As the title says, what's your opinion about this?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't think he's a great coach, but I think he's a smart one. He is playing to his team's strengths and keeping it relatively simple. He is not trying to act like a tactical genius by imposing his own different tactics and is just following more of what Ancelotti did, but keeping it balanced with actually having a CDM in the team now.

And Zidane the person, the former player is not a guy the Real Madrid players can push around. He commands the most respect out of all coaches they've had in the last decade just by being an ATG and the status he has in the Football World.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Everything he won he won in extra time plus having some incredible "luck" with CL draw, his horsfaced captain spared a blatant red in CWC final, etc.
And no, Madrid havent been playing some impressive football at all.

F

FlaFCB

I don't think he's a great coach, but I think he's a smart one. He is playing to his team's strengths and keeping it relatively simple. He is not trying to act like a tactical genius by imposing his own different tactics and is just following more of what Ancelotti did, but keeping it balanced with actually having a CDM in the team now.

I agree with this. I won't vote as any of the options are what I think.

This also makes for an interesting debate, as some cules I know think licho is a good coach, and zidane is only lucky. Strange thing to think, imo. Both are lucky, but so far zidane seems smarter, and is not trying insane tactics that making his team play badly. He also has a better squad. Only time will tell how long this will last, though.

LeeRomeno

Time will tell, so far he has been doing great, but it is not like their gameplay has been unbelievably good or football-changing, but definitely a suitable coach for RM, much more than Benitez.

Yannik

Yes, 39 games without a loss are saying a lot. Lucky at times, but even then it would be "39 games with rare losses". Also unlucky at other times, to not get even more out of a game.

Zizou: 1) Undeniably lucky. Forget the luckiest CL campaign, RM suffered from poor form for many months over the past 10 months and yet didn't lose once. They have shrugged off the absences of Modric, Kroos, Bale, Benzema without any consequences. And now they are starting to actually play well. Scary.

2) Great man manager, the most important asset in this RM. A combination of his aura as a former best in the world and his genuine humility. His players look up to and admire him, and he's unlikely to get in an ego war with anyone. He's managed to keep Isco and James super sharp despite little playing time. RM has unbelievable depth, the best i've seen actually.

3) Not a great tactician by any means. I figure he'll become decent with experience.

He's not a great coach per se but he's the best coach RM could get.

BarcaOG

Banned
What's with the leading wording? 'great' vs 'lucky'.... there's a lot in between.

shitty poll-making

FC B

Its not only luck but this option is closer to reality that the one implying he is a great coach...

snowy

What's with the leading wording? 'great' vs 'lucky'.... there's a lot in between.

shitty poll-making

jlyeh9m
Fortune favors the bald

snowy

the Costanza horseshoe lucky pattern :lol:

@Joppe: nothing impressive in his coaching. just a well respected guy in the locker room who has authority

yeah but isn't half the job of a good coach right there? Playing for Zizou, imagine that!

BarçaBarça

There is a huge difference in RM-performances between small and big games. They rarely underperforms in the big ones - that shows some good coaching.
Sometimes when they plays badly and wins anyway, they have been quite lucky, but the pattern is there: They show up when it matters most.
But tactically it is obvious he is not a new revelation, but he has coped with injuries, and made the most of his aura/authority in the dressing room.

barcafan161

he is a good coach who gets his rotations spot on most of the time. what even decides what a great coach is? pep is considered great but made awful mistakes this year and last year in the CL semi

Home of Barca Fans