World Cup 2018

dakt

Yes I would say so. The Manchus invaded China and ruled us for almost 300 years and today they are considered equally Chinese as the Han Chinese. The same goes to the Mongolian Chinese, Vietnamese Chinese, Korean Chinese and the other 52 ethnic minorities in China. They are as Chinese as the rest of us.

Edit: IF we have foreigners who came here and received Chinese citizenship, as long as they identify with China, I don't care if they speak Chinese or know Chinese well, I'd consider them Chinese. For example we have a sizable population in HK whose ancestors came from Britain, India and the Philippines. Many of them still don't speak Chinese to this day but hell they are Chinese as long as they have Chinese citizenship.

Maybe that wasn't the best example on my part, but I hope you see the problem. The problem is the law (everyone can gain the citizenship) paired with massive immigration.
Depending on the size of the country and other parameters like fertility rates of migrants, it can have a devastating impact on the culture which you are trying to preserve.
But like I said, here in the west, some countries are already "assimilated" in multiculturalism which is a consequence of globalism which now brings its own "global" culture and is destroying the old one. This is why not many will protest against it and simply do not understand that other countries don't want to go through that process, because they are already a part of that culture.

RMU ReBorn

Croatia might have lost the opportunity of a lifetime . But they can leave with their heads held high . Nation of such small population has achieved something huge . Big congrats to them . There are nations that don't have the talents to even qualify for the world cup . certainly i won't be able to see my country playing the world cup in my lifetime . Still watching these nations giving their everything in football gives me immense joy as a football fan .Congo Croatia and good luck for the euro :cheers:

gsgosal

Maybe that wasn't the best example on my part, but I hope you see the problem. The problem is the law (everyone can gain the citizenship) paired with massive immigration.
Depending on the size of the country and other parameters like fertility rates of migrants, it can have a devastating impact on the culture which you are trying to preserve.
But like I said, here in the west, some countries are already "assimilated" in multiculturalism which is a consequence of globalism which now brings its own "global" culture and is destroying the old one. This is why not many will protest against it and simply do not understand that other countries don't want to go through that process, because they are already a part of that culture.

The countries with multiculturalism you mention seem to be doing economically well, unlike Croatia etc. And china does have its migrant population they just aren’t visible to you like that of African descent. Immigration has a purpose to drive the economy.

Joan

[MENTION=16775]dakt[/MENTION], I'm not sure how familiar you are with the French way, but it's quite a unique model. Its historical background is based on a need to integrate different groups into a nation Bretons, Sards, Corsicans and so on... and has proved to be successful since most of them now feel French. Nowadays, it faces difficulties some of which we've been discussing.

In its sought for absolute equality, France prohibited collecting data on the racial and ethnic background. Thus making minorities of many kinds invisible and not known of, they don't tend to treat them as groups. But, I do not believe it's EU's way. Quite the opposite. In Croatia, we approach the problem differently. I feel EU wants to protect minorities and pays attention to the groups.

edit: here it's explained in short. France is a country that is home to over six million
Muslims which account for almost 10% of the population. Unlike the multiculturalist
approach that countries like the United States have on immigration, France has a
speciϐic Republican Model that aims to dissolve the immigrant population within the French nation.
The Model relies on three important pillars, the ϐirst being the Principle of secularity, which entails that all cultural
and religious practices or beliefs are allowed and respected as long as they are practiced
in private. The French State does not take into account, nor even ask to know the ethnic,
cultural or religious characteristics or preferences of its citizens. The second principle
is that individual rights prime over the collective rights. That is to say that no separate
group of people, such as minorities or ethnic communities are favored, discriminated
against or even recognized by the French Republic. The State only sees French citizens
and non-citizens, and that is the end of its interests. Thirdly, the model promotes the
separation of the public sphere from the private sphere, and emphasizes on the social
inclusion role of the schools. Through this Model, the Republic aims to accomplish a high
homogeneity of the population, which is not to be segregated between various groups.

(reckomend the whole paper)

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Has VAR changed the game going forward? Set pieces etc. How will this impact domestic leagues going forward? I think its big, probably big enough for teams to take note of players who header the ball well having more of an impact. Hope i'm wrong

VAR in the past year has been either great, or just not helpful. It's a slight improvement, but not as big as I hoped it would be. Might come with time when refs are used to it.

VAR changed a lot of things, it will make set pieces as most important part of football which is a bit boring IMo, there will no more 50-50 call with handballs etc, it will be always called penalties. I suspect as time goes it will be used more extensively due to referees being afraid of making wrong call and being called for it which could disturb flow of the game(basically most important aspect of football as entertaining industry IMHO)
I understand there is no coming back from VAR, but I would still like to change as right to challenge the referee from coaches, with each coach has that right twice a game. I think many sports has that

Last edited:

khorne

I'm afraid you're talking yourself a bit into a corner here. Multiculturalism is a buzzword and can stand for many things, but in most serious political discussions it stands for a society model where immigrants are not forced into complete cultural assimilation but allowed or even encouraged to retain and live out their own cultural heritage to some degree, in order to make integration easier and provide other economical or societal benefits. That at least is the theory.

The problems of population explosions in africa and the middle east and the resulting exodus of young unskilled people who lack the education or cultural compatability to have any chance in the european economy is another story. You aren't right winged or a nazi if you adress these concerns.

But your problem seems to be the fact that people of african descent are viewed or see themselves as french. So on one hand you want to preserve your culture and are afraid that people who come from the outside might dilute or even destroy it. On the other hand you won't accept those people who have come and adapted your culture as their own. And that's what rubs people the wrong way. It's not a question of migration or no migration, it's a question of quantity, yes, but more importantly of integration. And the most successful societies are the ones who use immigrants to strengthen themselves.

JackaL

Sometimes I feel people can't be serious with what they're posting here, but apparently they are and they can... I would have liked Croatia to win today, because I really hated Dechamps conservative approach with such a gifted and talented team.

It indicates they are black and from Africa, which they are. Or is it not allowed to say it?

Sorry, you mistaken us for US or UK posters with colonial guilt. We don't owe shit to noone.
In fact we were attacked and ravaged by Ottoman Asian Muslims for 500 years which we thankfully expelled and defeated so maybe we could play the victim and race card.

Don't give half fucks if someone feels entitled because somewhere on the globe his ancestors hsppenef to be slaves. We were worse for far longer and noone asks us shit about it or offers sympathy.

The analogy is quite something here, and I'd like you to explain exactly what you mean?

Icarium

Lifestealer
This France team is really good and very young. Their world cup path was so much tougher than Croatia and still looked comfortable all matches. Came with a plan and executed it, probably learnt their lesson from Euro. Croatia made everyone proud, if they didn't have to play every match for 120 minutes and had not have 1 less rest I could see them getting much closer and even winning it. But such is life, not always fair. They should be proud of themselves. All in all this was a brilliant world cup.

xXKonan

This France team is really good and very young. Their world cup path was so much tougher than Croatia and still looked comfortable all matches. Came with a plan and executed it, probably learnt their lesson from Euro. Croatia made everyone proud, if they didn't have to play every match for 120 minutes and had not have 1 less rest I could see them getting much closer and even winning it. But such is life, not always fair. They should be proud of themselves. All in all this was a brilliant world cup.
France learned from that Euros and France brought a much better team this time around as well.

No Sissoko,Evra,Payet,Gignac,Sagna,Koscielny etc.

This WC they had a healthy Varane and brought in newcomers such as Pavard and Lucas Hernandez along with the likes of Mbappe, While Kante was at the Euros he didn't have a big role like he did in this WC and the Bench had the likes of Dembele,N'Zonzi,Fekir,Tolisso etc.

Massive upgrade in young and hungry talents and players such as Pogba,Griezmann,Umtiti etc all improved a lot since then as well. This team is in great shape for the 2020 Euros, but it's up to Deschamps to keep it going.

Mitchell1978

- we already had debates about possession football and I think it's clear by now it's meaningless if you don't use it smart
- Croatia had more shots, yet barely any actual goal chance. Just amassing half chances and being lucky during the 2nd goal
- 2nd goal by France was an understandable pen decision

This is how Real Madrid wins CL year in and out, yet people think it's an inferior type of football because it's not as visually pleasing as brainlessly throwing attackers upfront, playing handball around the box and then wondering why they're exposed on the counter.

Real plays a pragmatic game but even they start the game looing for goals, France never did, they start the game with the intention of a small club playing a big club looking not to concede.

And how exactly did Belgium and Croatia charm? Belgium was on the verge of R16 elimination against Japan, and what people found actually charming about Croatia is that they're the romantic underdog. Other than that they have not actually won a single KO stage game over 90 minutes in this entire worldcup despite being on the weak side of the bracket. And they've gone behind in every single one of those games. No such "dominant" game you describe here. Let's be honest: If this was Germany or Brazil, people would find fuck all charming about scrapping narrow penalty shootout victories to Denmark and Russia.

There was no great team in this WC, but France did the best from those we had. Unexciting, but solid and never greatly troubled despite having had the hardest route to the final.

Just look at social media and most of the press, except the Frenc i imagine, Belgium and Croatia have absolutely charmed loads of people France didn't.

Mitchell1978

[MENTION=16775]dakt[/MENTION], I'm not sure how familiar you are with the French way, but it's quite a unique model. Its historical background is based on a need to integrate different groups into a nation Bretons, Sards, Corsicans and so on... and has proved to be successful since most of them now feel French. Nowadays, it faces difficulties some of which we've been discussing.

In its sought for absolute equality, France prohibited collecting data on the racial and ethnic background. Thus making minorities of many kinds invisible and not known of, they don't tend to treat them as groups. But, I do not believe it's EU's way. Quite the opposite. In Croatia, we approach the problem differently. I feel EU wants to protect minorities and pays attention to the groups.

edit: here it's explained in short. France is a country that is home to over six million
Muslims which account for almost 10% of the population. Unlike the multiculturalist
approach that countries like the United States have on immigration, France has a
speciϐic Republican Model that aims to dissolve the immigrant population within the French nation.
The Model relies on three important pillars, the ϐirst being the Principle of secularity, which entails that all cultural
and religious practices or beliefs are allowed and respected as long as they are practiced
in private. The French State does not take into account, nor even ask to know the ethnic,
cultural or religious characteristics or preferences of its citizens. The second principle
is that individual rights prime over the collective rights. That is to say that no separate
group of people, such as minorities or ethnic communities are favored, discriminated
against or even recognized by the French Republic. The State only sees French citizens
and non-citizens, and that is the end of its interests. Thirdly, the model promotes the
separation of the public sphere from the private sphere, and emphasizes on the social
inclusion role of the schools. Through this Model, the Republic aims to accomplish a high
homogeneity of the population, which is not to be segregated between various groups.

(reckomend the whole paper)

France is pretty much failing with this approach, high debts, low growths, massive problems with immigration and muslimextremism, extreme right still rising, globalist Macron just like Hollande isn't going to last very long

Home of Barca Fans