Marco Reus

El Flaco

Reus' 1st goal vs. Augsburg

[gfy]WideeyedKeyLamb[/gfy]

Reus' 2nd goal vs. Augsburg

[gfy]TangibleShorttermBrahmancow[/gfy]

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Should have been a straight red. And it is a miracle that Reus kept on playing. My first reaction to that foul was that he was going to miss another big tournament with the national team.

El Flaco

Reus interview with Der Westen

"Mr. Reus, 1996 was the last time Germany managed to win the European Championship. You were seven years old at the time. Do you still remember anything about that tournament?

Reus: Nothing.

Nothing?

Reus: No, sorry.

So, your first Euro memories come from the tournaments in 2000 and 2004?

Reus: Right. I was mostly with my friends back then. We watched some of the games at sort of a fan park in Dortmund.

Germany was eliminated in the group stages of both tournaments. It wasn't that bad at your first tournament in 2012. Still, despite reaching the semi finals, that tournament remains tainted.

Reus: It was a difficult tournament, because many players came in late from their clubs. That wasn't an optimal way to prepare for the competition, because you just need a longer period of time before such a big tournament, to learn to work together and to get used to the other players. Until the semi finals, we were in good shape, but on that day, Italy was stronger.

During the tournament, you only played for 125 minutes...

Reus: I didn't play for the first three or four games, that's right. Against Greece I got my chance, which was my first Euro match. I was incredibly excited: we won, I played very well and crowned it all with a goal.

Despite that, you had to stay on the bench for the next game. Some said afterwards: with you in the starting XI, Germany wouldn't have lost.

Reus: Phew, that was four years ago ... it was the decision of the coach, I had to accept that. Hindsight is always 20/20 in regards to what one should've done differently. You know how it goes: Hätte, hätte, Fahrradkette [TN: basically another German idiom for 'Hindsight is 20/20', which was coined in 2013]

What role do you want to play in the upcoming tournament?

Reus: I have the aspiration to play. I want to be among the starting XI, I want to help the team in every match and I want to show that I deserve that spot. In recent years, I have always played for the NT and I want to confirm those performances. We have a very, very good team with many young players, fighting for their place. This is the only way for us to be successful. It is important to have a good start into the tournament, to quell any doubts about our team.

NT manager Oliver Bierhoff said, that players like you, which weren't part of the team in 2014, are especially important to keep up the hunger for success after winning the World Cup. Do you agree?

Reus: The players, who are already World Champions, won't become weaker. They automatically want to win the next title. And for players, who weren't part of the team back then, their desire is to take their first title with the NT. That's my focus at least, others like Mario Gomez probably feel the same. Maybe we all, who weren't with the team in 2014, can really give the others some more motivation.

This Tuesday, you'll become 27 years old. How did your role in the NT change?

Reus: We have experienced players, who are already World Champions. But I don't need to and I don't want to hide. I have much experience as well and I have played in many big, important matches. We have many young players in our line-up, players who are playing their first big tournament. They can profit from our and my experience.

Neither with your club nor the NT have you been able to win a big title. How do you feel about that?

Reus: Relaxed. Of course, it is the dream of every footballer to win titles. I would have to lie, if I said that this isn't the case for me. But I can't change what's in the past.

You have to look forward, you have to give yourself new goals to work for every time.

Your teammate Mats Hummels will transfer to Bayern Munich after the Euro. Partly because the probability of a title is much higher there. Could your desire for trophies become so big that you'll want to leave Dortmund?

Reus: My personal happiness doesn't depend on titles. As much as I want to win them as a footballer of course. But in my normal life - that's what I'm talking about here - I'm happy even without titles, especially because I can play the sport that I enjoy the most. That's what I always wanted.

Earlier this year, you were confident that the BVB would be able to extend the contracts of some of its stars.

Reus: As one of the leaders within our team it is part of my responsibility to communicate with the higher-ups, because their plans are interesting to me and because I want the club to become an even bigger one. Of course that won't become easier with the departure of Mats and - if it indeed happens - of Ilkay, who has an incredible quality as a player as well. That's why I hope and expect that good players will come to us to replace them.

Do you have doubts?

Reus: I trust in our coach and the higher-ups to have a good plan. But that isn't something I'm currently concerned with here at the NT.

Your buddy Mario Götze won't come back to Dortmund, he wants to establish himself in Munich. Did you know about his decision before it was officially announced?

Reus: Of course we talked about it.

And...?

Reus: It's Mario's decision, he feels good about it, one has to accept that and I'm doing exactly that. He wants to follow that path and he will do that with 100% confidence.

You two are good friends: does he ask you for advice about such an important decision?

Reus: No, Mario doesn't need my advice, he can make important decisions on his own. Of course, we occasionally talk about this and that.

One doesn't come, the other leaves. The farewell to your captain Hummels causes a loss in the leadership within the team. Do you feel ready to take on more responsibility?

Reus: I think that I have constantly climbed up in the hierarchy of the team in the recent years. That is my goal as well, because I'm now entering an age, where I can and want to help younger players. I have been a part of the club for four years now, last season I was the vice captain. It will be exciting to see how things will move forward.

When the captain comes off the ship, usually the vice captain is called to the bridge.

Reus: We'll see.

No ambitions for the armband?

Reus: It's not my top priority, but of course it is an honor to enter the pitch as the captain of the BVB. If the opportunity presents itself, I certainly won't say no. But it doesn't worry me. It is much more important for me to be physically fit.

Currently you're only training in small units, your groin region is problematic.

Reus: The problems started after the DFB Cup Final. Not really a surprise after 120 minutes. I have daily treatments and can do a few exercises. I think I can rejoin the normal training starting next week.

To treat your recurring adductor muscle problems, you're regularly consulting the Dutch osteopath Hub Westhovens. Why him?

Reus: He's a good boy, multiple NT players consult him. I feel comfortable with him.

What makes the difference about him?

Reus: He looks out that every little cog in body plays its part correctly. If that isn't the case, I have problems again. With the injuries I had, this happens much quicker. I have to be careful about that.

Will you have these problems over and over?

Reus: No idea. Rest assured that I'm doing everything I can so they don't return. I had two severe injuries in my foot, which changed my body and I have act accordingly to this, by trying different things and by looking at which of these things are good for me. But that takes its time, which you don't really have in football, because everything happens so quickly.

How exactly does your body change through the injuries?

Reus: If only I knew. Sadly, there isn't that one miraculous healer, who can tell me all about that.

Do you do anything else to get better?

Reus: I changed my diet and have less body fat because of that. I'm usually not the type to stem weights in the weights room, but I tried to continuously build up the muscles which are especially important for me. But especially noticeable results through the diet changes need their time.

How much time?

Reus: It takes a few months. In general, my plan was to reach a level for the second half of the season, on which I can do everything and don't miss any training session, don't miss any games. We needed the first half of the season for that, by taking me out of training every once in a while. The important thing is that you don't go crazy in these times and that you stick to your plan, this demands some patience. It simply takes a few months until you get the first reactions from your body.

The body is one thing, the mind another. How do you manage your injuries and their consequences?

Reus: The injuries sometimes make you consider things. But I can't change it, something can always happen, and that's not just the case for me after all. I do many prophylactic things, but the rest I can't influence and I rather look forward with a positive attitude.

What you can influence however, is the ritual that the newcomers in the NT have to suffer through after their first game...

Reus: They have the agony of choice: make a speech or sing.

What did you do back in October 2011?

Reus: I made a speech.

Meaningful words?

Reus: Nah. I was a young dude back then. I was extremely nervous, because all those experienced players were sitting in front of me. I managed to think of something - but despite that, there was still much laughter to be had in the end."

http://www.derwesten.de/sport/fussb...st-auch-ohne-titel-gluecklich-id11861615.html

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Am I the only one who's envisioning what if Reus joined Barca instead of Dortmund? (maybe Barca would've began swapping formations and players)

A very good player albeit a bit injury-prone. The question is, who do you see him replacing? Where would he play? MSN? Even though he can also play CF and RW but his natural and best position is LW. Also he is 27 already, by the time one of Suarez and Messi deteriorates and retires, he wouldn't have that many years left. He is too good to sit on the bench.

Home of Barca Fans