Real v Barca: teams of the century

Badger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanstevenson/2011/04/real_v_barca_teams_of_the_cent.html
2hezhoh.jpg

2vblhy9.jpg

Can't argue

Sorry if it has already been posted

Badger

My mixed team is
.........................Valdes......................
Alves..........Puyol........Hierro........Carlos

Messi...........Xavi.........Zidane......Andres

................................Roaldinho.........
................Ronaldo........................

johan

I think the most interesting thing about the two teams is 6 of the Barca players are current squad where as only 2 of the real side, it just shows where the teams are at the moment IMO

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I think the Madrid team is slightly better.

Before people accuse me of being a closet Madridista, these are my reasons:-

1) Better goalkeeper

2) Better defence

3) Better balanced midfield

Barcelona have the better front line.

Why do I think Madrid have a better defence? Well as much as Pique and Puyol are both awesome, so were Hierro and Cannavaro (cannavaro to a lesser extent). But Madrid have the better full backs definitely. Roberto Carlos was amazing and Salgado in his prime was one of, if not the best right back in the world. GVB wasn't really a top class left back and Alves is world class, but I think Madrid have a more solid backline there.

The midfield is more balanced (I didn't say better - I said better balanced) with Makelele as the DM with Zidane, Figo and Cronaldo. MAN that is a salivatin thought to see those 3 in their prime. Xaviesta is of course magnificent too. But I love that Madrid midfield. It has everything. Pace, Power, Intelligence, Craft. Everything.

Barca attack is better for sure. Dinho, Eto'o and Messi together(i.e. the 2005 dinho, the 2009 Eto'o, the 2010 Messi....awesome).

Ronaldo joined madrid at a point in his career when he was past his prime too that also made me choose the Barca front line.

Bergkamp10

Madrid's team is better...just. Agree with what Ed said, the midfield is more balanced. You can't not have a holding player behind Xaviesta imo. There's too much space between the midfield and defence, Zidane would run riot.

Abaddon

King of the Bottomless Pit
Ronaldo joined madrid at a point in his career when he was past his prime too that also made me choose the Barca front line.
That team would actually work better with Morientes in there instead of the fat one. Or Ruud. Or Higuain.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
I think the Madrid team is slightly better.

Before people accuse me of being a closet Madridista, these are my reasons:-

1) Better goalkeeper

I agree that the Madrid team is better, but Valdes is better than Casillas ;)

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
*not sure if serious pic*

I am totally serious. Valdes is so underrated because he used to make more mistakes than Almunia until he was about 26. Since then he's been the most consistent keeper in the world. Stats show that he's better at stopping shots, distributing, and dealing with crosses than Casillas. Casillas is still one of the best, mind you, but he's living off past reputation.

Why Victor Valdes is better than Iker Casillas

On topic, take out Deco and put in Busquets. Would be a much better/balanced team.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans