Neymar Jr. - v5

LeeRomeno

Lucho is not using Neymar's strenghts at all, he is most dangerous in the final third where he can provide a through ball or take a shot and yet he drops very deep and tries to be a playmaker where he is struggling constantly. And it's not just Neymar, the whole tactical setup this season is messed up with all the rotations and injuries.

I disagree, Neymars ability to drop deep and help in defense is crucial to the team which lacks midfield control and with underperforming Busi, 3 new midfielders yet not fully adapted to team and slowing down Iniesta, we simply just dont control the midfield. I fail to remember any instance when we are about to launch a counter and Neymar is not there. He always has energy to run back and sure he is not as good in actually making that crucial pass or taking on opponents, but he fills his role as he should. Also "trying to be playmaker" is exactly the opposite what he does. His role clearly is to be the guy who takes on opponents with his skill and then tries to either score himself or make a pass.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I disagree, Neymars ability to drop deep and help in defense is crucial to the team which lacks midfield control and with underperforming Busi, 3 new midfielders yet not fully adapted to team and slowing down Iniesta, we simply just dont control the midfield. I fail to remember any instance when we are about to launch a counter and Neymar is not there. He always has energy to run back and sure he is not as good in actually making that crucial pass or taking on opponents, but he fills his role as he should. Also "trying to be playmaker" is exactly the opposite what he does. His role clearly is to be the guy who takes on opponents with his skill and then tries to either score himself or make a pass.

He shouldn't be the playmaker, but sometimes he is forced(asked by Lucho?) to do that. That's the thing if we don't control midfield or/and Messi is missing, he drops deep to receive the ball and starts the attack himself. That's what we saw in games against Alaves, Borrussia and recently against Valencia. And in all those games he was losing one ball after another. I suspect that we continue to see that because now Iniesta is injured, so again we might have problems in midfield control and creative play.

Last edited:

gasgas

He shouldn't be the playmaker, but sometimes he is forced(asked by Lucho?) to do that. That's the thing if we don't control midfield or/and Messi is missing, he drops deep to receive the ball and starts the attack himself. That's what we saw in games against Alaves, Borrussia and recently against Valencia. And in all those games he was losing one ball after another. I suspect that we continue to see that because now Iniesta is injured, so again we might have problems in midfield control and creative play.

Do you think signing Gundogan would have helped

snowy

.. if we don't control midfield or/and Messi is missing, he drops deep to receive the ball and starts the attack himself ..
very true, even Messi has been forced to drop deeper whenever our midfield showed sluggishness. Here's an interesting comparison matrix for La Liga season so far. Leo "The One" Neo dominates as expected. Where Neymar excells, as has been pointed out in above discussion, is in his % of duels won, key passes and chances created. Ballon d'Or has got to go to Leo ...

Last edited:

LeeRomeno

very true, even Messi has been forced to drop deeper whenever our midfield showed sluggishness. Here's an interesting comparison matrix for La Liga season so far. Leo "The One" Neo dominates as expected. Where Neymar excells, as has been pointed out in above discussion, is in his % of duels won, key passes and chances created (ditto for 15/16 by the way). Ballon d'Or has got to go to Leo ...

gwzhmms

I think most remarkable stat from this is Neymars defence score compared to other forwards, which many seem to underestimate.

gasgas

very true, even Messi has been forced to drop deeper whenever our midfield showed sluggishness. Here's an interesting comparison matrix for La Liga season so far. Leo "The One" Neo dominates as expected. Where Neymar excells, as has been pointed out in above discussion, is in his % of duels won, key passes and chances created (ditto for 15/16 by the way). Ballon d'Or has got to go to Leo ...

gwzhmms

Based on that, Neymar wasn't mediocre as [MENTION=19697]Vlom[/MENTION] suggested :thinking:

Is it possible that the "mediocrity" talked here isn't exactly on field? :thinking:

snowy

I think most remarkable stat from this is Neymars defence score compared to other forwards, which many seem to underestimate.

Yeah lol, thing is with Ney, it's very much a case of the Rorschach test. In this context, stats can provide some degree of clarity.
All results by the way consistent with 2015/16 season as well where Leo dominates again despite playing the smaller number of minutes.
j2etdpl

gasgas

gwzhmms

Ballon d'or will go to the lowest rated player on that matrix because he is popular overrated or whatever

Total-Football

I keep on stressing on his defensive work because it's easy to spot how generous he's in that area .. especially for a player ( who only care about himself ). everybody see that except those who simply don't wanna see it.

fantastic Matrix .. A picture says more than a thousand words

snowy

I keep on stressing on his defensive work because it's easy to spot how generous he's in that area .. especially for a player ( who only care about himself ). everybody see that except those who simply don't wanna see it.

fantastic Matrix .. A picture says more than a thousand words

Horatio was right though. Ronaldo's Total Score distorted the big picture as the matrix gave too much weight to the Attack Score so here is a more accurate compartmentalization per 90 min. tranches ->
gshusr9

Here's the link if you guys wanna enter your own parameters or change players. It's a cool tool :)
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

The fact that you heard nothing about fans throwing stuff at Alcácer and hitting him the face, plus insulting other of our players BEFORE the match started further proves my point that this is just Madrid press stirring shit... All the video evidence for what I said is out there, but the news only focused on Ney throwing an insult in order to try to justify the bottle being thrown... Also, let's not forget that the bottle was the only thing that impacted our players, as there is also plenty of evidence that other objects were thrown that went to miss their intended targets...

So if Ney is going to be punished then it should be something like 50 euro, considering Valencia got a 1000 euro fine or something like that... This has been blown way out of proportion, even though Ney was really out of line there...

No one is justifying the bottle being thrown, Valenica condemned it straight away. The fact is Neymar provoked them after a last minute winner, he has no excuse and as a result put himself and his team-mates in danger. There is no way on earth his behaviour can be condoned or some pre-match attack you claim by Valencia fans meted out mean that he should escape disciplinary action. It just shows how stupid he is for further riling fans when he already knows they can be quick to lash out.

Home of Barca Fans