Dries Mertens

BerkeleyBernie

Apparently he's off to Napoli, fee is 10M, deal to be finalized very soon. This is actually a great transfer for him. Napoli is a great team, they play CL and some good football, perfect fit.

Yeah, I was hoping anywhere but the EPL - Germany, Italy, Spain. I think he's going to be even better with better players around him.

Yannick03

Yeah, I was hoping anywhere but the EPL - Germany, Italy, Spain. I think he's going to be even better with better players around him.

Yep, it's the right move for him. A team that plays real football, he'll be able to improve himself which is important for the WC next year although it'll be very difficult to play Hazard, Mirallas or De Bruyne out of the team.

BerkeleyBernie

He will do well at Napoli but thats probably his ceiling, he's not as good as Hazard or De Bruyne.

Eh...as a pure dribbler/attacker, perhaps, but he's an excellent playmaker. I see him less as a winger eventually, more of a Sneijder type. On a team with better off-the-ball movement, you are going to see that side of him excel.

BerkeleyBernie

Yikes...Mertens is going to have a tough time of it if he can't get service, a sharp technical tiki-taka player with non-technical players behind him. Napoli looked absolutely clueless against Porto, unable to advance the ball without Hamsik on the pitch to add class, technical ability, possession, and creativity/vision in the midfield. Their defenders and defensive midfielders don't have a clue how to get the ball forward other than booting it. Mertens, Pandev, Insigne, Callejon all fine, but isolated without Hamsik to provide buildup.

pEllee

LeanConcernedGazelle.gif

A joy to watch when he's at his best. Still struggles a bit with the consistency.

BerkeleyBernie

See my post above yours. His "inconsistency" has more to do with the team he's on than himself. He'd do great on Barça, but there's no need for him with Neymar, Pedro, and Sanchez.

Look forward to seeing him this summer. If Hazard starts in a CAM role, then Mertens might start on the wing.

abual3bed1

Hazard might be a waste playing CAM, he needs the spaces and Mertens is having one hell of a season at CAM. He played there most of the time when Hamsik was injured a couple of months ago and he was great.

Home of Barca Fans