Andres Iniesta

Have to disagree with this. When Messi runs at/dribbles past defenders, there's no-one in the world who's better.
I DEFF agree with you. But I explicitly said that when Messi doesn't use his speed, he is not as good dribbler as iniesta. Iniesta doesn't depend on speed as much as dribbling technique while Messi depends on speed more than dribbling ability.

Stric

Holy Cow! No one here is saying that Iniesta is better than Messi ( overall player) but in my opinion, Iniesta is better dribbler than Messi.

I know what you mean. To me it seems a lot of people perceive dribbling through players and just outrunning players as the same thing. Most of the time Messi just runs with the ball and leaves players behind. Or he keeps the ball very close to his feet and manages to run through them without losing it. That's great, too. But when it comes to using ball control and skills to outplay opposing players and advance further, I'd put my money on Iniesta 8/10 times. Maybe it's just based on recent observation, I don't know...

Last edited:

spark

I know what you mean. To me it seems a lot of people perceive dribbling through players and just outrunning players as the same thing. Most of the time Messi just runs with the ball and leaves players behind. Or he keeps the ball very close to his feet and manages to run through them without losing it. That's great, too. But when it comes to using ball control and skills to outplay opposing players and advance further, I'd put my money on Iniesta 8/10 times.

He doesnt just run with the ball, take some time to watch the videos i posted.

Stric

Sorry, I edited the post later. As I've said, I know Messi is a good dribbler, my impression could be just on the basis of this season. I'm not claiming any of the things I've said are written in stone, it's just an impression I've got recently.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Like I said during chat, he got the Messi treatment today. Oscar and Paulinho were onto him in a flash, just like Martinez in the Bayern game.

He got his dribbles away still because he's a fantastic player but unlike previous games, he couldn't use them to any advantage. He was either hacked down unfairly or pressured cleanly before he could create any danger.

Jadentheman

Canceling out the Tiki Taka game and it's players are so easy now a days. Teams will either

1) Park the bus then come and score on a counter

or

2) Clog the midfield with a high tempo pressing game then lead counterattacks on the wings with fast skillful people. Then once they're ahead preform some possession play also to avoid Barca/Spain from getting the ball that much.

Xavi, Iniesta, and Biscuits got nullified and thus they could not do their passing game. And it's not helpful when those three aren't physical or able to withstand some strength. It's so easy to pick out and cancel what makes Spain and Barca great now. Time for Plan B

Last edited:
J

jiopi

So footyfan? Do you agree now that Messi creates also space better with his dribbling?

Gaudi

Canceling out the Tiki Taka game and it's players are so easy now a days. Teams will either

1) Park the bus then come and score on a counter

or

2) Clog the midfield with a high tempo pressing game then lead counterattacks on the wings with fast skillful people. Then once they're ahead preform some possession play also to avoid Barca/Spain from getting the ball that much.

Xavi, Iniesta, and Biscuits got nullified and thus they could not do their passing game. And it's not helpful when those three aren't physical or able to withstand some strength. It's so easy to pick out and cancel what makes Spain and Barca great now. Time for Plan B

They did that before but Barca was destroying everyone because we played faster, of the ball movement was there, we had two eide ATTACKERS not wingers/nothing.
Our great idea behing false 9 was simple yet brilliant, Messi comes deep, one midfielder (Iniesta) starts deep run to join him upfront, two wide attackers wait for cut inside run behind defence, basically we had 4 on 4 in some areas of the field with opposition defence streched. Now we have no movement, midfielders are waiting for ball to the feet, no runs to the box, one "attacker" (Alexis for example) moves in the middle but just clogging the space ahaed of Messi as he can't play with his back to the goal, and Pedro stays wide...nobody even needs to cover him because he can have the best centershoot ever his targets are midgets. So entire defence cloogs in the middle and we just pass and pass without movement.
That's why we used to have 60-65% ball and now more then 70% is normal but without chances.
So, to conclude everyone played BUS and tried clogging midfield since like ever, but now our game has changed for the worse.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans