Ivan Rakitić

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
If Fab's issues had been about defensive contribution then sure.

Fab's issue has been about both offensive and defensive contribution. He is too slow to defend and his lack of awareness unlike Xavi and Busi doesn't help him either when he has to be a floating pivot. Offensively Cesc is just throughballs galore and he is one of the best at it but sometimes you just have to hold onto the ball a while longer before relasing it. For Cesc it was a matter of being too direct for the role he was occupying and contrary to the possession stats we lost control in the matches where he played instead of Xavi because 1) Alexis and Neymar hugging the touchline didn't pose much threat to defenses and Messi was marked out of the world leaving Cesc with no one to play the throughballs 2) he tried to play the throughballs in between the lines but got pressured into playing it too early or when it was not the right decision to do so. Plus he has little to no dribbling skills and a lack of composure under pressure making him compeltely unfit for the Xavi role contrary to what many people here think

Frodo_FCB

kanye-west-laugh.gif

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Rakitić is not fast. He is faster than Cesc though and works harder for his team.
Similar players really. I guess rumors are true and we're selling Cesc because he wants to move. Otherwise this change doesn't make much sense.

H

Haruko The Goon

I don't like the Rakitic signing too much... Wouldn't play him deep in a 4231, very unsure of him taking Xavi's role in a 433 though.... Do you think you'll play him in the Xavi role?

Butaan4barca

I don't like the Rakitic signing too much... Wouldn't play him deep in a 4231, very unsure of him taking Xavi's role in a 433 though.... Do you think you'll play him in the Xavi role?

i think he will play in his own role, instead of having standard roles, and being an exceptionally predictable side, we will see few new systems within, like how will we play with rakitic on, how will we play with xavi, etc etc.

Sound good, will add more unpredictability factor.

Home of Barca Fans