Lliga | Round 20: Real Betis - FC Barcelona 0-5

vlad

Impressive performance.

11 points clear and Coutinho still to play.

:tito:

When you just think for a moment, valverde did this without 2 major signings, instead he pulled all the best from paulinho, when suarez was injured, paco jumped in and look good, even gomes now have decent displays, big credits to valverde for running away with la liga.

Edit: about CL, i think barca have big chance to win it with current squad, hope dembele can offer some help also, but this team give you so much security with this more conservative approach

Yesterday on the chat some fans were crying how barca is boring in the first half, i couldnt believe it, they leave out betis at home without single chance in the first half, they were so compact in defence, and at keeping the ball

Last edited:

LeeRomeno

Iniesta has been better than Denis in stats. What are u talking abt? Not everything is goals and assists, Iniesta as a whole has been better.

Of course it is important, are u gonna tell me that someone with poor passing, or dribbling stats, or someone who gets dispossessed alot is useful to the team? Are u gonna say a defender who has terrible take ons, low aerial threat, low tackle rate is good? Then what's the point of stats if u just "think" every player is good?

Messi has the best stats among all the Barca players, whether is it passing, dribbling, goals, assists, and overall if u add them all up, he's the best and stats are concrete evidences. You are telling me Penaldo with a 4.8 % conversion rate is better than Messi?

Stats are the only fair and reliable source that keeps track of a player's all round season performances so it's not like it's based on one game's performance. Unless u have some serious photographic memory, can u really keep track of all the players performances in each game. Let alone in a single season?

Yeah, I know Gomes is your favourite player because the coach uses him.

Then hasnt been really a debate really. People just think Gomes is better just because he looks taller, more athletic and faster but in terms of football, he just falls short. He's not better in defence than Denis either.

I'm no fan of Denis but people saying Gomes is better than Denis is ridiculous.

Just follow the same link you posted, add Iniesta there and behold (link here). In most of categories Denis blows Iniesta away. Yet I am pretty sure there is noone here thinking it is actually the case. Which shows that stats dont show the full story. So why would they tell the real story on Gomes vs Denis?

People being obsessed over individual stats in team sport. We have lost 0 games with Gomes in lineup this season, that tells me alot more than some individual stats. There are so many things those squawka stats do not cover, shadow runs, movements starting combinations that end with goals, supporting teammates that end up recovering ball, effective pressing etc. What is most important how players click together, how the suit into team, no stats measure that. Xavi and Iniesta have had pretty poor measurable stats for most of their careers, yet they are considered individually one of the best midfielders ever.

Saying all that, telling me that I am fan of Gomes is ridiculous. He has been better this season, which is not saying alot, as he was awful last season and that comes down to good coaching imho. If good offer comes, he should be sold. That does not mean he is useless, he has played his position okey this season and given rest to key players and thats a value. I also agree that i trust our lineup with Gomes in it more than with Denis (in midfield), this is because football is teamwork not individual sport when some random stats matter.

JerseyAddict

I was so impressed with the way team played that 2nd half that I rewatched it today. What a team-play and pressing... :barcascarf:

ATLBarcaFan

Great team win, so many great player performances, Raki, Robert, Semedo, Busi, even Gomes. Not to mention the dynamic duo up top, Suarez spectacular and Messi is just from another world.

Horatio

You're welcome
Joaquin(Betis' captain) had some lovely things to say about Messi post-match. Someone should post it.

aaron101

I'm kinda scared about the fact that we need to insert Coutinho and Dembele to our lineup soon and it might disrupt our momentum and cohesion.

Home of Barca Fans