Francesco Totti

PearLBLacK

Banned
No, his decision to stay is one of the most respectable things he's ever done. First, he doesn't need to prove himself. And second, like he said, "One trophy with Roma equals 10 trophies with another club." That's highly admirable.

He never won a CL but so what? Ronaldo de Lima never did either.

misterplatin

No, his decision to stay is one of the most respectable things he's ever done. First, he doesn't need to prove himself. And second, like he said, "One trophy with Roma equals 10 trophies with another club." That's highly admirable.

He never won a CL but so what? Ronaldo de Lima never did either.

agree . Totti doesn't need CL and many league titles to prove that he is/was the best Italian player .

Edman

Damn, can't believe there was no Totti thread. This guy is a legend. A big reason why I support Roma.

Kerrybai

Football needs more players like Messi, Giggs, Del piero, Le tissier etc who commit themslves entirely to one club.

DucdeOrléans

Amazing player. Always liked him. But with Francesco it is either love or hate - mostly hate even in Italy. I for once will not forget his contribution during the 2006 World Cup.

But it's a shame for the non-Romanista that he never tried to prove himself outside of AS Roma. Would have loved to see him in FCB or Milan where he, with all due respect, would have had a much greater chance of winning European silverware not to mention much more silverware overall. But you have to respect his decision of always being loyal to Roma - even during difficulties. Has it's charm as well, especially in this time and age.

I was talking in the context of being a non-Romanista. In my opinion players of his caliber deserve to play for the best teams and to compete for the biggest trophies each season. Hence why I would have liked to see him play for a bigger club where he would be able to aspire/win more trophies than what he has achieved for Roma. That's my opinion and Totti obviously had another which is why he has always stayed in Rome.

Nowhere do I even mention that it's not admirable that he has stayed. Read my last line in the quoted post above.

PearLBLacK

Banned
Sorry about that, I misinterpreted it. You're right, I'd have loved to see him in a top club as well, and maybe then he'd be given as much coverage as Ronaldo/Xavi/Iniesta, not that he doesn't get attention now but players of his level or even lower get more attention simply because they're with trophy winning sides.

But then again I can't picture Roma without Totti and Totti without Roma.

MoFroBo

Yep, Totti would be considered one of all time greats if he had moved to a club with constant european football. Totti is recognized one of the finest players Italy ever produced only by people who actually follow Serie A...

DucdeOrléans

Sorry about that, I misinterpreted it. You're right, I'd have loved to see him in a top club as well, and maybe then he'd be given as much coverage as Ronaldo/Xavi/Iniesta, not that he doesn't get attention now but players of his level or even lower get more attention simply because they're with trophy winning sides.

But then again I can't picture Roma without Totti and Totti without Roma.

No, problem. At first I thought your comment was addressed to another member but then I took a quick glance at the thread and realized you wrote it as a reply to my initial comment.

He gets plenty of coverage in Italy but it's right that he is not as hyped as those you mention. One of the main reasons for that is the league he plays in and club he plays for. But overall I have the impression that he is highly rated by most fans. For starters for being loyal to Roma for his entire career despite getting tempting offers from top clubs in Italy and abroad. Real Madrid especially if I remember correctly.

Ghost

Totti is a legend. I couldn't care less about him playing for only one club that I don't even support, still a legend imo.

MoFroBo

That loyalty costs a huge salary

True that. There has been major disappointment by Roma fans when Totti signed his new big ass contract. This year imo he deserves every penny, but it is fact Totti is no Maldini off the field.

Andrew M

True that. There has been major disappointment by Roma fans when Totti signed his new big ass contract. This year imo he deserves every penny, but it is fact Totti is no Maldini off the field.

Yeah, I wasn't taking a dig at Totti; he has been a great of the game over past 13 years or so. I just like to point out that generally the most loyal players are very well looked after.

Home of Barca Fans