Valverde: "Away goal is significant"

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Iniesta and Messi saved Barca from defeat against Chelsea but Barca coach was satisfied after 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.

1519163904318.jpg

"The good thing is that we managed to get an error out of them and we got an equaliser. We go back to the Camp Nou happy."

"I think the equaliser was very important. They might be happy with the result and we have to be respectful of their style of play. They pressed us very high and made life difficult for us."

"We will see what happens in the return leg. The away goal was not definitive but it was significant."

"It was a clash of styles."
"Two very different teams. We had lots of possession close to their area but after the first few minutes they began to start testing us on the counter-attack."

"We were just lacking a bit of quality in the final third and they defended very well. There was a lot of traffic around their box and we struggled to break through. We just lacked clear-cut chances."

We went to a place where it’s difficult to play. [Chelsea] are the champions of the Premier and we carried their weight from the first whistle.

“They had some strong players who posed us problems on the counter, but they hardly had any chances.

“It’s a good result and I think we deserved the 1-1. It’s difficult when so many players group up against you. It’s difficult to find space.

“Therefore, you must fight back with quality, pace and good finishing. Did Messi drop too deep? Possibly, but they defended with five at the back."

“If we put five more up top, they’d defend with 10 players there and they’d enjoy the space as a result."

“We had to protect ourselves, so we’re happy in that sense. How do I see the return leg? There’s still a long way to go. That’ll be the decisive match."

“To some extent, they’ll be more obligated [to perform], but our approaches may be similar. Why Aleix and not Dembele? [Dembele’s] been out injured for a while, and for a match like this, coaches go with the things they know best."

“Aleix also gives us things, a different profile. When we’re faced with a match like this, I rely on certainties.

“I had to play Paulinho as a starter and then bring on Aleix Vidal for more depth. It wasn’t the time to experiment. That’s how I see it."

JerseyAddict

OK, for all those tacticians here... your questions are answered.
It was EV idea for all that caution and defense. Side passes and cautious build up. HE WANTED clear net, he was aiming at it.
EV is not ALL IN coach. His primary idea was not to concede.

We go back to the Camp Nou happy."
It’s difficult when so many players group up against you. It’s difficult to find space.

“Therefore, you must fight back with quality, pace and good finishing. Did Messi drop too deep? Possibly, but they defended with five at the back."

“If we put five more up top, they’d defend with 10 players there and they’d enjoy the space as a result."

“We had to protect ourselves

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah yeah yeah. Let's see how he approach the second leg, I doubt it would be that different from the first leg.

MagIX

Some "fans" are hopping that we lost vs Chelsea so that they can say "I told you that....."

Home of Barca Fans