2011-2012 CL Final: Bayern - Chelsea

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I wonder what ppl will make out of this victory from chelseas perspective. Even the glorification of Inters 'magnificent' defensive performance and Mourinhos 'ingenious' tactics was way off already.

But turning Chelsea into a legendary and brilliant defensive unit would be a complete joke considering how they let 43 shots happen. And tactical brilliance from Di Matteos side can also nowhere been seen. HIs tactics was so unbelievably horrible - basically no attacking power, a single finished counter attack in 120 minutes besides those aforementioned 43 shots - he cant even be called Coach or Manager at all. Would be an insult towards every 'real' coach.

B

barcelonista

Imo they had the absolute perfect balance between attacking and defending. They took 43 shots ... does that sound very cautious?

Meh. 43 shots but only 7 went on target. In 120 minutes, mind you. And this already includes the goal and the missed penalty. Considering that Chelsea's central defense consisted of Cahill and David Luiz and Bayern had a home final, this was rather meh. Luiz, before the CL final, had played his last game back in April the 15th, more than a month ago. The same applies for Cahill. And then their most in-form and energetic midfielder was also missing: Ramires. And they started Bertrand. :lol: They didn't defend as well as Mourinho's Inter but the concept was the same. Mourinho's Inter was just full of world class players and this Chelsea side was not. I expected this outcome and nothing else.

Bayern in the final third look like Barcelona in slowmotion. They were not going to win this game. Out of the 43 shots, Chelsea managed to block 22. A lot is said about Barca needing a "plan B", needing a big centreforward, needing to cross the ball, needing tricky wingers to stretch the play etc. Well, that went well, didn't it? Truth is: if a team decides to park the bus and give up on playing football, every team will suffer against that kind of approach. Be it Barcelona with a narrow shape and midget frontline, Bayern with their tricky wingers and a big centreforward or Real Madrid with their quick transitional play. Di Matteo didn't lose against Barca (twice), Arsenal in the Emirates and Bayern in the Allianz. There you go.

If we didn't had to play a Clasico 2 days before the Chelsea game, we would have battered that Chelsea line-up from yesterday though, especially with the home advantage. Absolutely no doubts about that.

MoFroBo

I wonder what ppl will make out of this victory from chelseas perspective. Even the glorification of Inters 'magnificent' defensive performance and Mourinhos 'ingenious' tactics was way off already.

But turning Chelsea into a legendary and brilliant defensive unit would be a complete joke considering how they let 43 shots happen. And tactical brilliance from Di Matteos side can also nowhere been seen. HIs tactics was so unbelievably horrible - basically no attacking power, a single finished counter attack in 120 minutes besides those aforementioned 43 shots - he cant even be called Coach or Manager at all. Would be an insult towards every 'real' coach.

Totally agree. Take comparison to Capello where his defensive football actually has a formation and is not 85 mins concentrated in defending and the other 5 mins in kicking the ball out of your half.

X

xaviniesta

Meh. 43 shots but only 7 went on target.
who cares how many of them goes on target. a weak shot is probably less dangerous than a miskick aka gomez. which isn't even a shot. so take those stats and whipe your *** with them.

Out of the 43 shots, Chelsea managed to block 22.

thats pretty logic if you have 9 men in your box. it's like a huge shield.

but some love to chelsea as well, i think a.cole has been amazing during the last CL games. he is the one who individual performances deserves some credit. when barca scored 2-0 at camp nou, he was the on who truly belived that they can turn the game around.. sometimes i feel that they have abslutely shame about being outplayed. i think its a rather good thing. to still fight to the end even though you look like a bucnh of amateurs really in football wise.

also, i find it funny that beast said yesterday that he didn't give a damn about this final but rather fancy chelsea because of the 'cindarella' story. he understand that it's chelsea, not villarreal or udinese right? AVB tried to make a time for the future, didn't work out, di matteo came and started to play their caveman football, who put his magic charm onto it, but they are in crisis in 2-3 years anyway if they continue like that and doesn't start to thin for the future.

Last edited:
B

barcelonista

Totally agree. Take comparison to Capello where his defensive football actually has a formation and is not 85 mins concentrated in defending and the other 5 mins in kicking the ball out of your half.

You mean like England against Spain in Wembley? In a meaningless friendly above all? Capello with the same players at his disposal (unfit David Luiz, unfit Cahill, Bosingwa, Bertrand, Mikel, 34 year old Lampard, 34 year old Drogba) would do exactly what di Matteo did in a European Cup final.

But turning Chelsea into a legendary and brilliant defensive unit would be a complete joke considering how they let 43 shots happen.

Nowhere near "legendary". But they never had the individuals to pull that off in the first place. But as I said. 43 shots, 22 blocked. That leaves us with 21 shots effectively. Only 7 went on target. The majority of the other 14 shots was mostly Robben blasting it into row Z. In 120 minutes. With the individuals they had, they defended as good as they could. Of course luck also helped them but that's football.

B

barcelonista

who cares how many of them goes on target. a weak shot is probably more dangerous than a miskick aka gomez. which isn't even a shot. so take those stats and whipe your *** with them.

If a team shoots 43 times but only 7 go on target, the precision of that frontline either totally sucks or the opposite team did well defensively to prevent those shots from going in. Because only a shot on target will lead to a goal, not one off target. So in that sense: everyone cares about shots on target. And if Gomez sucks, then it's Bayern's fault for not having a decent striker who doesn't suck. They sold one this season: Klose. That dude who starts for the German national team, you know? Because Gomez needing 5 chances to put one in isn't any news. It's how he rolls.

DennyCrane

Meh. 43 shots but only 7 went on target. In 120 minutes, mind you. And this already includes the goal and the missed penalty. Considering that Chelsea's central defense consisted of Cahill and David Luiz and Bayern had a home final, this was rather meh. Luiz, before the CL final, had played his last game back in April the 15th, more than a month ago. The same applies for Cahill. And then their most in-form and energetic midfielder was also missing: Ramires. And they started Bertrand. :lol: They didn't defend as well as Mourinho's Inter but the concept was the same. Mourinho's Inter was just full of world class players and this Chelsea side was not. I expected this outcome and nothing else.

Bayern in the final third look like Barcelona in slowmotion. They were not going to win this game. Out of the 43 shots, Chelsea managed to block 22. A lot is said about Barca needing a "plan B", needing a big centreforward, needing to cross the ball, needing tricky wingers to stretch the play etc. Well, that went well, didn't it? Truth is: if a team decides to park the bus and give up on playing football, every team will suffer against that kind of approach. Be it Barcelona with a narrow shape and midget frontline, Bayern with their tricky wingers and a big centreforward or Real Madrid with their quick transitional play. Di Matteo didn't lose against Barca (twice), Arsenal in the Emirates and Bayern in the Allianz. There you go.

If we didn't had to play a Clasico 2 days before the Chelsea game, we would have battered that Chelsea line-up from yesterday though, especially with the home advantage. Absolutely no doubts about that.

Agreed.

Also, the complete absence of typical german virtues is what worries me. Where is this winner-mentality, playing hardball, passion and iron will to win a game by all means necessary ?
20 corners - nothing gained, not even the slightest bit of danger was created from corners and free-kicks. Hell, Bayern can't even take penalties properly anymore. Furthermore, many players chickened out of talking penalties, I mean, WTF ? This "Jungs, ihr müsst gut aussehen" mentality that carried over from the NT is laughable.
Golden generation my ass. More like a lost generation consisting of fainthearted cowards and diplomats in track-suits, always failing when it comes to the stage where it matters.

X

xaviniesta

If a team shoots 43 times but only 7 go on target, the precision of that frontline either totally sucks or the opposite team did well defensively to prevent those shots from going in. Because only a shot on target will lead to a goal, not one off target. So in that sense: everyone cares about shots on target. And if Gomez sucks, then it's Bayern's fault for not having a decent striker who doesn't suck. They sold one this season: Klose. That dude who starts for the German national team, you know? Because Gomez needing 5 chances to put one in isn't any news. It's how he rolls.

gomez usually need one chance to score. yesterday was rather a exception. and that doesn't matter if he suck or not. if other bayern players cut trough chelseas defense like a knife trough a butter and put the ball on gomez' feet and he misses then it's poor defending and poor finishing. i still don't care how many corners or shots they have, never bother to look those statistics.

you usually make great comments. why your lovefest on chelsea now i just don't understand.

also i find it always so funny how people start to make stories based on results after the games. would robben scored the penaldo or something like that and bayern would've. won everybody would talk about how great bayern was and how poor chelsea was and defending suck etc. now that chelsea survived everybody talks how great defensive team they are. people should learn to watch the games without the scoreline and statistcs really IMO.

@DennyCrane i just put you on my very long ignore list so i wouldn't be even tempted to read your comments, get angry, reply to them and get banned again.

Last edited:

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
@Barcelonista

So you think that allowing shots on your goal is a clever tactics to win the game? Or dont you actually think that every shot you offer to the opposition grants them a chance to score?

Counting on 50% of them being blocked and the other half (which is still 21!) missing its target naturally, is a bit ... hm ... lets say risky. 21 unblocked shots can still be 21 goals. And there is a reason why preventing shots is a common and well accepted tactics in football. Other than 'just let them shoot and hope they miss' ... thats not what i would call an appropriate tactic.

ANd with more confidence on Bayerns side and/or a Robben in his 2010 form, they would have scored in the double digits from their chances. Robbens trademark cut-in-and-hit-the-angle moves from the right worked as a charm back then - now they went to the sky. But it were still good chances the Chelsea defense offered ... like 4-5 times. Count how often he was able to pull that up vs Dortmund.

Too bad they were still devastated from their 5th loss to Dortmund in a row, coming from a 5-2 trashing. The pressure put upon them from their management and fans, to win the cup in their home arena, didnt help either. No wonder that they struggled finding players for the penalty shooting.

Beast

The Observer
also, i find it funny that beast said yesterday that he didn't give a damn about this final but rather fancy chelsea because of the 'cindarella' story. he understand that it's chelsea, not villarreal or udinese right? AVB tried to make a time for the future, didn't work out, di matteo came and started to play their caveman football, who put his magic charm onto it, but they are in crisis in 2-3 years anyway if they continue like that and doesn't start to thin for the future.

Let's see..
1- an Average team with over the top main players (Terry,Drogba,Lamps etc )
2- An assistant taking over after more than half season with the players morals are down in the gutter , no hope of winning any silverware needless to mention qualify for any European competition
3- now look back and tell me how many expected Chelsea to be CL winners after Napoli first leg ? almost zero
4- he made Torres score a goal :lol:
If you can turn Lamps & Terry to CL winners you do deserve credit and let me tell you there is a lot more Cinderella story in Chelsea win than Liverpool or Porto etc. none of them had to play a team like Barca now and shut them down and score 2 goals in Camp Nou`none of them had a change in coach and method 2&1/2 month before the final

Now i understand the last 20 pages are nothing but couple of people whining and bitching about the method Chelsea used (more so because it was Chelsea who kicked you out fair and square from the CL it left you no room to blame it on anything but the boogie ) but if you think anyone can make better with that squad you are delusional and till now understand nothing about football which remains to you (the people who are whining and that football has died ..etc ) a video game and for the rest of the world sport and science , the world understand there is several ways of playing the games except those uneducated(sports wise ) bunch we have here

What Chelsea did is a miracle and Di Matteo deserve great credit for that , please continue the sour grapes the fact is Chelsea did KO You & Bayren two superior teams individually but less collectively remains another football lesson for those who understand the game

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Only Cinderella was piss poor and was a likable character.
I don't know how could anyone sympathise with Chelski after billions thrown and having scumbags like Terry and his henchmen there.

It's really a story about an ugly and boring girl who after dozens of expensive plastic surgeries finally wins a beauty contest. And wins it in an ugly way and riding the luck.

Sergio

Sergison
Let's see..
2- An assistant taking over after more than half season with the players morals are down in the gutter , no hope of winning any silverware needless to mention qualify for any European competition
3- now look back and tell me how many expected Chelsea to be CL winners after Napoli first leg ? almost zero
If you can turn Lamps & Terry to CL winners you do deserve credit and let me tell you there is a lot more Cinderella story in Chelsea win than Liverpool or Porto etc. none of them had to play a team like Barca now and shut them down and score 2 goals in Camp Nou`none of them had a change in coach and method 2&1/2 month before the final

Now i understand the last 20 pages are nothing but couple of people whining and bitching about the method Chelsea used (more so because it was Chelsea who kicked you out fair and square from the CL it left you no room to blame it on anything but the boogie ) but if you think anyone can make better with that squad you are delusional and till now understand nothing about football which remains to you (the people who are whining and that football has died ..etc ) a video game and for the rest of the world sport and science , the world understand there is several ways of playing the games except those uneducated(sports wise ) bunch we have here

What Chelsea did is a miracle and Di Matteo deserve great credit for that , please continue the sour grapes the fact is Chelsea did KO You & Bayren two superior teams individually but less collectively remains another football lesson for those who understand the game
I agree with everything here, except the amount of credit attributed to Di Matteo. I like the guy alot, but the fact is he wasn't really behind this, the situation was alot like France in 06 - senior players pulling the strings. Now am not saying Roberto is a total moron like Dom Dom, but he was in the similar position of really just being a ceremonial position in a squad that was largely managing itself.

Superfly

Banned
Only Cinderella was piss poor and was a likable character.
I don't know how could anyone sympathise with Chelski after billions thrown and having scumbags like Terry and his henchmen there.

It's really a story about an ugly and boring girl who after dozens of expensive plastic surgeries finally wins a beauty contest. And wins it in an ugly way and riding the luck.

+1

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
In what way was that a football lesson? Did they teach us, that you can be just bad in almost every aspect of the game (leaving out scoring from corners and saving penalty shots) and still win?

X

xaviniesta

Let's see..

an avarage team? yes. but together they can do wonders, as you could see. maybe this year, but definately not in upcoming years. they brought AVB to start building a new team, but chelsea are far too inconstant to get some bad results in order to build a better future.

i think their morals were skyhigh when they saw AVB left. maybe except sturridge and o.romeu

now thell me how many of you guys expected to chelsea to get run over them and outplay them? almost everybody. and now thell me how many of you thought that the opponents teams lost their shooting boots in these games? now thell me how many of you were thinking that drogna would defend so deep, give away two penalties and get away tiwht both of them? rigth...

lol indeed

he didn't turn terry into CL winner, he was sitting on the bench and was like he was. what he did and deserves credit for is that he united the whole team with his charm. he was perfect for chelsea at this point.

personally i'm not mad about them how they beat us. i'm more pissed about barca to not score in these games. but it's not about only the barca game. if they'd put a masterclass defensive perormance like they did 09 against barca i would praise them to the heaven, but they didn't even put 1/4 of that.

yes, it was such a great football lesson, thats just to deep sh1t for our little cule brains. great cindarella story, indeed. if i didn't know you were talking about chelsea i would say it was numancia.

but to be honest, i understand why you fancy chelsea.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans