K1, ufc, mma

Trickykid

Now Machida turned down the fight w/ Bones and Vitor Belfort has stepped in to fight Jones @ UFC 152.

Oh boy, what a clusterfuck.
I was actually looking forward to seeing the Jones vs Machida rematch, and now we have Belfort instead? What a joke, Belfort will be demolished.

Apparently Anderson Silva offered to save UFC 151 by fighting any LHW fighter, but his proposal came in a few hours too late when Dana had already cancelled the entire event. To me that doesn't sound very much like something the Spider would do, especially not stepping up to LHW with such short notice.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Oh boy, what a clusterfuck.
I was actually looking forward to seeing the Jones vs Machida rematch, and now we have Belfort instead? What a joke, Belfort will be demolished.

Apparently Anderson Silva offered to save UFC 151 by fighting any LHW fighter, but his proposal came in a few hours too late when Dana had already cancelled the entire event. To me that doesn't sound very much like something the Spider would do, especially not stepping up to LHW with such short notice.

Bones will probably beat The Phenom but I think Belfort has as a good of a chance that Machida had. Belfort definitely has the advantage when it comes to hand-speed and BJJ but Bones will probably try to keep the distance and utilize his wrestling. I wasn't really interested in the Machida rematch anyways.

The Phenom has only lost a single fight since 2007 and that was to The Spider. I think he's better suited for 185 though.

Trickykid

Bones will probably beat The Phenom but I think Belfort has as a good of a chance that Machida had. Belfort definitely has the advantage when it comes to hand-speed and BJJ but Bones will probably try to keep the distance and utilize his wrestling. I wasn't really interested in the Machida rematch anyways.

The Phenom has only lost a single fight since 2007 and that was to The Spider. I think he's better suited for 185 though.

I must admit I haven't seen more than Belforts last 3 games (wins against Sexyama and Anthony Johnson I believe, and the loss against the Spider), and he didn't impress me to much there. I know he's supposed to be one of the greats out there, but it seems to me that time (and a lot of fighters) have cought up with him. I hope I'll see him in an entirely different light after 152 though.

About Machida, I really love watching him fight. I know he's had his fair share of losses too, but his sheer kickassery is a joy to behold. He looked good against Jon Jones last time out (well in round 1 at least) and he absolutely mauled a poor, slow and lumbering Ryan Bader last time out.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I must admit I haven't seen more than Belforts last 3 games (wins against Sexyama and Anthony Johnson I believe, and the loss against the Spider), and he didn't impress me to much there. I know he's supposed to be one of the greats out there, but it seems to me that time (and a lot of fighters) have cought up with him. I hope I'll see him in an entirely different light after 152 though.

About Machida, I really love watching him fight. I know he's had his fair share of losses too, but his sheer kickassery is a joy to behold. He looked good against Jon Jones last time out (well in round 1 at least) and he absolutely mauled a poor, slow and lumbering Ryan Bader last time out.

The Phenom looked very impressive against Akiyama and Rumble. Knocked out Akiyama in the first and grabbed Rumble's back and submitted him in the 1st too. Rumble was able to take him down though and is very similar in size to Bones and I think he may be in trouble if he can't stop Bones' takedown. Camp Jackson likes to play it safe and I can see Bones keeping the distance with his long limbs and then perhaps shooting in for the takedown and raining down elbows. If The Phenom can test his chin once or twice, I don't think Bones will pass the test.

I like Machida too but he got outclassed by Shogun twice and hasn't looked the same since. He looked good against Bader but even a washed up Tito knocked him out. Dana has said Machida is going to lose his title shot now and will have to fight a top contender to earn a shot again because he passed this one up. I can see the UFC pairing him up with Hendo @ the end of the year possibly.

Trickykid

The Phenom looked very impressive against Akiyama and Rumble. Knocked out Akiyama in the first and grabbed Rumble's back and submitted him in the 1st too. Rumble was able to take him down though and is very similar in size to Bones and I think he may be in trouble if he can't stop Bones' takedown. Camp Jackson likes to play it safe and I can see Bones keeping the distance with his long limbs and then perhaps shooting in for the takedown and raining down elbows. If The Phenom can test his chin once or twice, I don't think Bones will pass the test.

I like Machida too but he got outclassed by Shogun twice and hasn't looked the same since. He looked good against Bader but even a washed up Tito knocked him out. Dana has said Machida is going to lose his title shot now and will have to fight a top contender to earn a shot again because he passed this one up. I can see the UFC pairing him up with Hendo @ the end of the year possibly.

Yeah, the Hendo - Machida fight looks logic to me. Who would you rate as favorite there? While not being as slow as Bader, Henderson isn't exactly fast either, and I really doubt he'll manage to catch Machida with that big, nasty right hand of his, while Machida will be using his devastating counterattacking.

Heard Vitor will be training with Rashad and also Alaistair Overeem, could be a interesting fight if Vitor can prevent Jones from controlling the standing up game from the start

Hatem Ben Arfa

Oh boy...so Dan Henderson is injured and had to pull out of ufc 151. No replacement could be found besides Chael Sonnen. In one of the biggest dick moves in UFC history Jones and his camp refused the fight even though Sonnen was taking it on such short notice. For the first time in it's history a UFC event has been canceled. Dana White is furious and really blasted Jones and the Jackson camp. The fighters themselves are pissed as well. Jone just cost about 20 fighters their paychecks and nobody knows what to do.

how long would Jones have had to prepare to fight a different opponent if the event was still going to happen?

Jones can't be blamed here. You prepare and train for months to fight a specific opponent and then you are asked to fight someone different at short notice. That is just asking to add a loss to your W-L-D record.

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
8 days notice. But you have to realize it's Chael Sonnen lol. The guys been training with Henderson for this fight a little and they have similar styles anyway. Besides the fact that Henderson is MUCH more dangerous to Jones. Sonnen would only have had 8 days as well and hasnt really been training for a fight. Not to mention he is a middleweight. Then you have the fact that Jones has this cocky attitude and even had to take down a tweet he put up months ago about never turning down a fight EVER....and he turns this down? The dude is in great shape he had a full camp. He would DESTROY Sonnen no question imo. I dont agree with his decision. He talks about being the greatest champion ever? Then you should be willing to defend your title against anyone at any given notice.

Hatem Ben Arfa

I disagree with you.

8 days notice is not enough time to be fully prepared for an opponent. you are just asking to lose the fight by doing that.

People are being unfair on Jones.

Sonnen is taking the fight because he has nothing to lose really, it's a shot at the title. In addition he has a much greater chance of winning it as the Jones has not prepared for months to fight him specifically. Of course he wouldn't turn it down.

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
Come on man. The guy is the light heavweight champion of the world. He used to speak regularly about becoming the greatest fighter in UFC history and how he would do anything to do that. Turning down fights against an out of shape guy in the division below you doesnt shout greatness.
But I agree people are being a bit unfair. Are his reasons for turning down the fight valid? Sure. I get it man. But when you walk around with that cocky attitude Jones has and after all that talk about greatness...wouldnt you think he has more confidence in himself? I dont see anyway he could lose that fight. Just no way. And he knew what would happen if he turned it down.
Did I mention he had to take down a tweet because he said he would never turn down a fight EVER :lol:? People were really tearing into him until he had to take it down.
Honestly the event being cancelled is NOT all his fault. Definitely not. But imo he should have taken the fight. Why not? He was in peak condition and his new opponent would have been the weaker version of his original fight lol. If he didnt always act to cocky and full of himself then I wouldnt care as much. But Jones oozes confidence most of the time so it kind of makes me laugh.
He is currently the most hated man in MMA :lol: lets see how long it lasts.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Sonnen isn't some washed up out of shape has been. why take a fight on such short notice when the opponent is extremely dangerous like sonnen.

so Jones suffers from hubris. who wouldn't at his age beating some of the best MMA has to offer. Accepting a fight on 8 days notice based on pride instead of with your head is just begging to add an embarrassing loss to your record.

Home of Barca Fans