14 - Javier Mascherano

God Serena

I kind of feel bad for Mascherano. Pique, Mathieu, Vermaelen, Puyol, Bartra, Yaya, and even Song have all managed to score goals, while Mascherano is hitting the crossbar...

AnnieSureshot

I kind of feel bad for Mascherano. Pique, Mathieu, Vermaelen, Puyol, Bartra, Yaya, and even Song have all managed to score goals, while Mascherano is hitting the crossbar...

Well, he's not usually allowed anywhere near the goal even during corners so his chances are much smaller. This game he was more forward and finally had a chance.

God Serena

Well, he's not usually allowed anywhere near the goal even during corners so his chances are much smaller. This game he was more forward and finally had a chance.

Why is he specifically not allowed near goal? All of our CBs (Including him) have huge tendencies to go on runs towards the enemy box with or without the ball. For some reason we see the others score far more often than him.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Why is he specifically not allowed near goal? All of our CBs (Including him) have huge tendencies to go on runs towards the enemy box with or without the ball. For some reason we see the others score far more often than him.

He's not really a physically imposing player during corners, it's better for the team if he stays back.

AnnieSureshot

He appears to be specifically instructed to stay back during corners. This was the first game I think I saw him coming up for a corner and generally press higher and this resulted in some goal opportunities for him. He does do runs towards the goal sometimes but they usually end up in passes to Messi or suchlike to finish off like during the Bilbao game.

Stric

You send your tall guys forward when there's a corner (CBs, DMs), and you send someone else back to cover for them. Mascherano is never really a threat in corners, so there's no point in sending him forward. But as far as in-game forward runs go, that's true, he doesn't make those nearly as often as Pique.

Home of Barca Fans