If you replace the “Pep era” Messi with the current one,how many CLs do we win?

If you replace the “Pep era” Messi with the current one,how many CLs do we win?

Votes: 4 8.9%

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 2(the same)

Votes: 17 37.8%

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 4/Perfection

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

bismp

I think this is an interesting question.I think that the experience and FKs of current Leo would help us in the difficult situations,in other words I think he is more “clutch” nowadays.Also,his passing and through balls slightly edge his older self’s.

But would his stamina and arguably lesser dribbling skills cost us in the end?

To make things clear,let’s say 2008/09=2016/17 which means that his peak during the Pep era(2010/11)matches with the current season(2018/19).

Last edited:

bismp

I say we win 3 CLs.Back-to-back from 2009 to 2011.If 2012 Leo(73 goals) can’t beat Chelsea,this one cannot either.Besides,even if we would qualify to the 2012 final,I think that Bayern would beat us,both in the real world and in this hypothetical scenario.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

We were the strongest team in the world all 4 seasons from 2009-2012. How many CLs that translates to, I don't know. Could be all 4, could be the same, could be less.

Btw, I think there is a huge difference between Bayern 2012 and Bayern 2013. 2012 we would definitely beat them if we ran into them.

khaled_a_d

Don't think we will be as successful, Messi best years was 2008-2012 despite being less complete and not much of a leader nor playmaker
But we didn't need this from him while having Iniesta/Xavi in midfield, his play making and dropping down will be wasted

Andresito

Staff member
If those semifinals are played again, we're 99% playing 4 finals in those 4 Pep years.

serghei

If those semifinals are played again, we're 99% playing 4 finals in those 4 Pep years.

Probably, but that's not because of Messi, but because we'd be less likely to have that huge amount of bad luck again.

We'd probably have eliminated that Inter and that Chelsea 8 times out of 10 ties. But there's always a chance you could have one of those 2 times you don't go through on that night. You have to accept that at the end of the day.

It's the luck factor and charm - some would say - of Champions League.

Last edited:

kollegah

the questions should be: how many back to back CL would we have if Luco or Valverde were the managers from 2009 onwards.
Answer: 3-4

BBZ8800

Don't think we will be as successful, Messi best years was 2008-2012 despite being less complete and not much of a leader nor playmaker
But we didn't need this from him while having Iniesta/Xavi in midfield, his play making and dropping down will be wasted

+1

A current Messi wouldn't move off the ball, wouldn't make crazy solo dribbles through 4 defenders.
He would rely on free kicks and a shot here and there.
Not to mention that he would drop deep and would ruin a shape of a team.

A current Messi is nice, but I don't see how people can compare him to a young Messi, who was truly a GOAT.
A current Messi was not among top few players in a BdOr pick last season. Not because of a conspiracy, there is a reason why.

Maybe it is time to remember some things from those days.
Whnever I watch the old videos, I notice a lot of things which Messi DOESN'T do anymore.
Like pace, counters and beating 2-3-4 defenders, quicker feet, more dribbles, a somewhat stronger shot (imo), more movement around and in the box etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tly7yujAe04

MagIX

That's the problem of Barcelona in the last years....to demand too much from him, they forgot that Messi is not a alien and that soccer is a team sport.
Not human what he has to be, now Messi has to be for the team:

- still a top goal scorer (he is a FANTASTIC top scorer, and even he become a FANTASTIC free kicks taker): average goals/matches not human before the Messi era.
- + playmaker (he is a FANTASTIC playmaker, assists, key passes,...): average assists/key passes/matches not human before the Messi era.
- leader (average)

In the history of soocer there has never been a player who had both qualities togheter: FANTASTIC TOP SCORER AND FANTASTIC PLAYMAKER, or you were one and you were the other.

Centauri B

We could have won all 4 as it was. Some bad luck (volcanoes, hitting the post repeatedly against Chelsea) and some poor rotations by Pep cost us the clean sweep.

kollegah

We could have won all 4 as it was. Some bad luck (volcanoes, hitting the post repeatedly against Chelsea) and some poor rotations by Pep cost us the clean sweep.

+peps biggest mistake to buy cesc and destroy a completely perfect working system after 2011

Hardy

the "playmaking" Messi works worst than "attack mode" Messi in CL. I pick any day Messi 2011 over current Messi without a single doubt.

Home of Barca Fans