Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

Vilarrubi

i'll put it differently, when playing against us i fear marcelo, ramos, pepe, varane, benzema, bale MORE than i fear or ever feared ronaldo, because they leave the impression on me that they can rise to the occasion, be more lethal and dangerous and actually hurt us, even though . when ronaldo has the ball i'm calm, unless there's pinto in between the goal posts and adriano is a cb. when other attacking players get the ball i'm tense, when there's a corner i fear those defenders more, but i admit that's like the only part of the game when i fear ronaldo because he is great in the air. and fear is genuine, i wouldn't just stop being afraid of him because i hate him, i hate marcelo too, i hate ramos too, but they really make me feel uneasy. ronaldo? fear him? never. i wish real had 11 ronaldos when playing against us, i'd be the calmest motherf***er ever =)))) in finals from current real madrid i guess ramos, marcelo and bale are big boys, maybe modric to some extent. like everyone else they can have bad games and games when they choke.

regarding our players i don't remember any of them choking in cl finals but for example the whole team choked this season starting from villareal game, and it wasn't just playing badly, you can still play badly but win, that was a complete choking by us. so yeah all of our players can have bad games and also games when they choke, those games when we almost lost out on every possible title is the most recent example. we also choke against chelsea. but i hope one day we meet them, their strongest line up and demolish them.

in normal matches i guess most of our players perform well. so do players from real and other strong teams, that's why they are strong teams.
in key matches it depends, i actually consider real to be playing better under pressure than we do, maybe im paranoid and that's my anxiety i always get the feeling that we struggle under pressure more than real does. but that's just me.

Great post. I used to fear Di Maria too, he was dangerous at times against us.

Lomar1o

Great post. I used to fear Di Maria too, he was dangerous at times against us.

yes, i didn't mention him only because he left. but he would make me fear too. such an unpredictable lightning fast dribble, change of pace. he would cause chaos and ruckus with when he charged. so glad he left :D

barcafan161

more then ever Cristiano is dependent on service, before at least he could score from distance and could net in fks.. That aspect of him has seriously declined lol.

the insane thing is that he is still being compared to messi nowadays, a Messi who can still dribble past people, pass like no other, and score like one of the best.
well ronaldo is 31 so of course he won't score goals like he used to

However he still scored 60 goals this year at age 31. He does what his team needs him to do

Going forward real will depend on him less as he gets older

F

Flavia

cr lacks a decisive performance in a big final. It's one of the criticism I see most about him, even from some pundits fanboys.

BBZ8800

regarding our players i don't remember any of them choking in cl finals but for example the whole team choked this season starting from villareal game, and it wasn't just playing badly, you can still play badly but win, that was a complete choking by us. so yeah all of our players can have bad games and also games when they choke, those games when we almost lost out on every possible title is the most recent example. we also choke against chelsea. but i hope one day we meet them, their strongest line up and demolish them.

Ok.
Each of us probably has different view of what is choking.

About Barca this spring, I don't think that we choked.
Imo, we just lacked motivation and passion.

Choking is (in my eyes) when someone hasn't win something (like a CL trophy, or La liga, or World cup final), and then you are so impressed by that Trophy that you play way weaker. As if you are "frozen", "too slow", or as if you are trying to tell a girl (as a teenager) that you like her and then you are not a normal self but some strange version of yourself.
That is choking in my eyes.

Barca's team hasn't choked in that way.
Also, I don't think that CR7 is a choker.

About RM, I personally have some fear when CR has the ball.
I never really tried (till your post) to think about whom I am scared the most.
But probably 1. Cr7, then 2nd Bale/Benzema, then all others far away behind.

But still, about CR7, I see no point comparing him with Messi.
Messi is better.
Cr7 is weaker all-round player.
Also, CR7 lost skills compared to his level 5 years ago, that is also true.
But still, I would never call him a choker.
He is just slower currently, he is not dangerous, he can't dribble as 5 years ago, he can't get into as many chances as 5 years ago, his shots are not as lethal as 5 years ago.
But still, that doesn't mean that he choked.
He is just 31 years old and he lost some of his skills, that's natural.

So, if he played poor on Euros, it isn't because he choked, but because he is a weaker player today, and it is easier for defenders to keep him away from goal.
But still, when he does get in some chances, he is still quite dangerous, and we can't say that he is afraid/that he is shaking/shitting his pants etc.

I still think that people are mixing their hate towards CR7/Real and a meaning of being a choker.
Atletico in CL finals and Croatia (Modric) yesterday are simplest examples of choking, shitting your pants and playing waaaaaaaaay weaker than you can, because of a pressure and because you know how much is at stake.

So, CR7 yesterday was slow and old.
But he hasn't choked, he wasn't scared or impressed. And he created some end product in the extra time with his shot.
Modric, on the other hand, he was lost, scared, unable to impose himself, he looked like a scared teenager who plays for the 1st time. (Which is strange since Modric won 2 CLs. But it seems that he is a choker on NT level when he is supposed to be a leader. That puts too much pressure on him, it seems)

Last edited:
F

Flavia

While you're right they have won two cl in last 3 years so it's not stopping them winning

I wasn't talking about rm, but cr. It is a team sport. But that shows he's really not their driving force, as many claim he is.

gasgas

His way of being decisive is scoring goals
That should be clear by now.

You cant expect him to dribble 4 players and lay a throughball to an onrushing Danilo,
Or make a diagonal pass to Keylor Navas on the right wing.

He is a limited player with limited attributes so he becomes decisive by doing things that are in his repertoire e.g penalties, tap ins, headers.

For me if he scores, its decisive I.e he has done what's expected of him, he's done what he is able to do

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You've completely missed the point. For someone who's supposed to carry Portugal and Real Madrid, he's awfully dependent on service, therefore showing no signs of actually carrying either teams.

gasgas

You've completely missed the point. For someone who's supposed to carry Portugal and Real Madrid, he's awfully dependent on service, therefore showing no signs of actually carrying either teams.
If you're replying to me, I wasnt contributing to the point you alluded to.
I made an independent contribution

NotInHere

well ronaldo is 31 so of course he won't score goals like he used to

However he still scored 60 goals this year at age 31. He does what his team needs him to do

Going forward real will depend on him less as he gets older
what, I never put in doubt Cristianos goal scoring, he's still one of the best goal scorers today. What I was trying to compare is his current form nowadays with Leos.

Cristiano might not even be the second best player in the world today, but somehow the media and some people are still trying to group him with Messi lol.

When in reality its

Messi

on form Neymar

and the rest

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If you're replying to me, I wasnt contributing to the point you alluded to.
I made an independent contribution

That's what she meant with decisive performance. He has made decisive contributions like scoring goals as you said, but not had a decisive performance. Overall.

And for someone whose fanboys claim he carries the team, it is really poor.

Icarium

Lifestealer
I still can't fathom the fact that he has 3 Ballon D'or in a time where messi is playing. The idea of the 4th is beyond my comprehension. Just shows what a good PR and an influential club can really do. They are pushing it so hard to make a ronaldo messi rivalry a big thing once in a lifetime thing. But in reality there was a never a rivalry. Messi has been and still is the better player.

Saying all that he is still a damn good player but not good enough to win 4 ballon d'or hell even 3. That award lost its creditability because of this. At least now people see the futility of the messi and ronaldo rivalry and accept messi is better except the fanboys. But it might change if Argentina lose now and Portugal wins euro. All the stupid discussions will be back.

Morten

I dont understand how anyone can question Ronaldos record against bigger teams in general. But i guess he has declined the last year or two in general, so i understand that. Ofc he scores more against lesser teams, but his all around record against top teams is still one of the best, his general performances are not the best in these matches, but calling him a choker is a step to far.

Last edited:

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
I dont understand how anyone can question Ronaldos record against bigger teams in general. But i guess he has declined the last year or two in general, so i understand that. Ofc he scores more against lesser teams, but his all around record against top teams is still one of the best, his general performances are not the best in these matches, but calling him a choker is a step to far.

Again, you cristiano fans keep going saying "his record that, his record this", it's always stats, like you can prove anything with stats, lol.

If you would bother watching his games instead of reading his stats off of some chart you would know he chokes in big games.

Home of Barca Fans