FC Barcelona Finances

soul24rage

Really glad that Messi and the team spoke up. Respect. Now I hope the club pull their shit together, find a solution fast and announce the agreement.

EDIT: Just saw the announcement, 70% pay cut for the 1st team. Even if they are millionaires, it is still a huge cut, respect to the players.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
The news media perhaps, but I don't see how the club has portrayed the players in a bad way in this context or how the club has pressured them.

From that message above it seems the players were pissed at the club, not the media.

You don't think the club told media to say that the players were greedy to put pressure in this way? There are many puppets of the board and it's not the first time the players speak up against bullshit from media.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You don't think the club told media to say that the players were greedy to put pressure in this way? There are many puppets of the board and it's not the first time the players speak up against bullshit from media.

That goes into the conspiracy theory territory and it is too much for me. If we were to believe that, every piece of news media report ever critical of the players could be the work of the club. That is just crazy.

The piece telling us about our players rejecting a pay cut earlier last week was from ESPN's Sam Marsden and Moises Llorens. I don't think they are the club's stooges. I don't read MD regularly so I don't know what they have said. If it is from MD then yes there could be some legitimate suspicion about their journalists' connection to the club. Sport is known to be quite critical of the club (for example they were the ones who were pretty eager to jump into the fray of reporting on the club hiring I3 Ventures to be critical of the players on social media).

JamDav1982

Would not be surprised if there was an element of truth in the player being reluctant to take the cut. They have that arrogance and power to think that.

No stories should have been leaked but at same time who knows where all leaked from as it seems strange for club to go to media and state one reason the players dont want to agree is money wasted on transfers.

70% of 3/4 months which they should get back is not some heroic sacrifice either. It had to be done for good of club and the club would have most likely forced through some cuts anyway.

Richard.H

I take back what I said and for jumping to conclusions. This club is a mess and I'm not sure who's leaking all this shit to the press. We already know the board is full of crooks but I won't be surprised if club de amigos had some hesitance to give up that much of their income like [MENTION=6099]JamDav1982[/MENTION] mentions. Just don't know who to believe in this club anymore. The board needs to be out ASAP.

Massive respect to the players for taking a 70 % paycut. That's a big chunk of money that will hopefully go to the low wage workers.

Neeraj

Don't see this as anything heroic. Messi is so defensive here, it's quite pathetic to see. Even if you were willing to cut 70% and even if the media or whoever did try to paint you in bad light, just stay quiet and do what's required, be the bigger person. But the fact that you have to come out, be defensive and try and color yourself and the players as these saints, saying 'we help whenever required and we are the FIRST ones to help the club' which we know is garbage considering the attitude of the players, the neymar circus, etc. is quite cringe worthy.

He talks about how it took time because they were working out a 'formula', yeah right, lol. A bunch of uneducated millionaires are going to be coming up with a formula of how the money should be used, because these guys know anything about the real world, what a joke. The 'formula' was probably a negotiation by the players union and the board, and when they finally agreed to the 70%, they are now giving us this load of garbage.

When most people around the world who work tremendously hard are being asked to stay at home WITHOUT any pay, I don't see why 70% is high, in fact I don't see why there isn't some kind of 'godly event' clause to stop paying them completely. It's embarrassing to think that we need to pay these rich superstars 30% of wages when in fact they could be used by the club in so many better ways (whether Bartomeu the crook would do that is another topic).

khaled_a_d

He talks about how it took time because they were working out a 'formula', yeah right, lol. A bunch of uneducated millionaires are going to be coming up with a formula of how the money should be used, because these guys know anything about the real world, what a joke. The 'formula' was probably a negotiation by the players union and the board, and when they finally agreed to the 70%, they are now giving us this load of garbage.

Those players have agents who understands the financial aspects greatky who will be doing those negotiations.
So yes, there is educated representatives for those players who can get that formula.
And taking long? Most clubs in the world has yet to reach such agreement.

When most people around the world who work tremendously hard are being asked to stay at home WITHOUT any pay

The players aren't responsible for capitalism, and their wage isn't gonna solve the issue of capitalism either.
Not like FCB is a charity organization either, it is a weakthy institution that is worth billion(s).
Players taking pay-cut or not would not solve all this "people around the world" problems. So not sure why bring this to the discussion?
It is a wealthy sport organization worth a lot that is run by board of businessmen negotiating with their wealthist employes during a difficult economic crisis.

serghei

Good. After the media put some pressure they backed down and took the pay cut. Finally the media do their job well. Public perception is very important for superstars. We should use that more to get them in check.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

The board should have told the players they were getting a cut and offered it up to them to announce it.

There should have been little to no negotiation and ANY player not happy with it would then have been left in position of being the ones to speak up.

Far too much power in that squad and the board pander to them. That is the biggest issue at the club and stopping the rebuilding needed.

serghei

The board should have told the players they were getting a cut and offered it up to them to announce it.

There should have been little to no negotiation and ANY player not happy with it would then have been left in position of being the ones to speak up.

Far too much power in that squad and the board pander to them. That is the biggest issue at the club and stopping the rebuilding needed.

Because the board are crap and put up with this shit. But I see more and more fans realizing the issues and siding with the club, which is great.

JamDav1982

Because the board are crap and put up with this shit.

Just about any board will do the same.

The next board that comes in will not make the changes required they will look for backing of former Barca players who still think Pique/Busi/Alba are 'best in world' in their position.

Same thing happened in 2008 when Laporta more or less lost control and it took Pep to come in and change it and those players were not a fraction of legends some of these are.

Anyone who campaigns to make the changes required stands no chance. It wont change until these players retire.

serghei

Just about any board will do the same.

The next board that comes in will not make the changes required they will look for backing of former Barca players who still think Pique/Busi/Alba are 'best in world' in their position.

Same thing happened in 2008 when Laporta more or less lost control and it took Pep to come in and change it and those players were not a fraction of legends some of these are.

Anyone who campaigns to make the changes required stands no chance. It wont change until these players retire.

Not all boards are the same. We'll see if the next leaders are better or are as spineless as this lot. It will depend a lot on the manager they will get and how much they trust that manager, obviously. There are some managers out there that don't accept the shit happening at the club for a while.

Ronaldinho was as much of a legend as anybody back in the 00s. Deco, Eto'o as well.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans