Barça third goal against Espanyol

Hektor

I just finished watching the second half of the Espanyol game. The third goal of Barça came after ~ 35 consecutive passes. It reminds me of the goal of Argentina against Serbia, in the 2006 WC, in Germany. This goal came after 35-40 consecutive passes with a tunnel included by Cambiasso that led to the goal. This Argentine goal was featured and celebrated in the British press.

I read an interview given by Johan Cruyff when he was coaching Barcelona. He was just implementing the style of play that came to be known as the "tiki-taka." Cruyff was asked where can he get players that could play this style besides Holland. He responded: "Argentina." That is why I keep insisting that we should seriously scout Argentina for young players.

I understand that Argentina is not producing the young talent as they used to. One reason is the complete disorganization in AFA. However, this goes in cycles. I remember than in 1970 I called the now defunct US team, the Aztecs of Los Angeles, of the now defunct US league. I talked to the head of player development and told him that the Aztecs should go after Argentine players because there is an excellent and sizable middle-class Argentine immigrants, in Los Angeles, that have the means of becoming season tickets holders if given the reason to. He told me that Argentine soccer was done; they will never again produce quality players. Famous words because Bochini, Maradona, Messi, Batistuta, Crespo, Passarella, Mascherano, Burruchaga, Redondo, Kempes, Ardiles, Fillol, Agüero, etc, etc, etcetera were yet to come. In other words, after every down cycle comes an up cycle. It has happened before more than once. We should keep an eye in the upcoming up-cycle in Argentina.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand the purpose of this thread other than to push your biased Argentine agenda, it's all over the place and reads more like a journal entry than a thread designed to generate conversation.

Hektor

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand the purpose of this thread other than to push your biased Argentine agenda, it's all over the place and reads more like a journal entry than a thread designed to generate conversation.

The purpose of this thread is because I felt like starting it. If you do not like, you do not have to read it let alone answer it.

I'm sorry. It is all about Barça and not Argentina. Pep Guardiola, before becoming a coach, lived one year with Marcelo Bielsa, in Argentina, learning from Bielsa all about coaching. That is a fact. What Cruyff said is also a fact.

Bielsa did not invent anything. His style of passing, pressing up front, and the quick break is the Argentine style of football - the same style that Barcelona plays. Therefore, if you are looking for young talent, you should be scouting Argentina. I'm not saying that it should be the only country to scout. Obviously, Catalunya, the rest of Spain, and Europe are first. That goes without saying. However, Argentina should not be neglected as it is now!

If I were for Argentina, that would be the last thing I would be saying. Most people in South America are furious with European wealthy teams for depleting the countries from their young talent, which they develop. That is also a fact! It is all about Barça.

Last edited:

Hektor

I can't believe that we were willing to pay over €100M+ for Dybala, who we could have gotten for a fraction of the cost. The same thing goes for Coutinho. We paid €40M for Paulinho and we could have gotten him for a couple of mils from Brazil. We lost out on Agüero, Icardi, Lamela, Pastore, Banega, Mascherano (before he went to West Ham,) Di Maria (before he went to Benfica,) etc. What are we doing? Why are we paying fortunes for players? We can no longer continue on spending binges or compete with the Premier league or teams subsidized by oil money.

We should go after 18-year old players and send them to La Masia and Barça B to further develop. Not all the players will make it to the main team, but we can sell them at a higher price that we paid for them breaking even or maybe at a profit.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

I don't see much upcoming talents in the midfield from Argentina which should be the focus for Barcelona. Correa and Kranevitter both commetted to AM, not sure if Lanzini up to the task, Giovani Lo Celso bought by PSG, Leandro Paredes decided to go for money in Russia.

Hektor

I don't see much upcoming talents in the midfield from Argentina which should be the focus for Barcelona. Correa and Kranevitter both commetted to AM, not sure if Lanzini up to the task, Giovani Lo Celso bought by PSG, Leandro Paredes decided to go for money in Russia.

As I stated above, Argentina is in a down-cycle. However, it has happened before. They will go in the up-cycle; they are due to. We should have scouts there.

The strength of Argentine soccer is the quality of coaching at every level. I do not know how familiar you are with Argentine Football, all divisions including the provincial ones. I do not want to sound too pedantic. Please, let me know.

George_Costanza

As I stated above, Argentina is in a down-cycle. However, it has happened before. They will go in the up-cycle; they are due to. We should have scouts there.

The strength of Argentine soccer is the quality of coaching at every level. I do not know how familiar you are with Argentine Football, all divisions including the provincial ones. I do not want to sound too pedantic. Please, let me know.

I used to know a lot, visited Buenos Aires many times and know top football talent management company. I was present at a dinner meeting involves the football management company and Atletico Madrid repesentitves some years back.However, I'm not following Argentina football that closely for few years now but in touch with the managment company from time to time.

Hektor

Everyone keeps saying that we need midfielders. I do not understand that. There is no such thing as a generic MD. What kind are we looking for? A defensive MD? A creative MD or so-called playmaker? A MD that plays in the bands - right or left? For example, Rakitic is a Right MD. He is not a defensive MD or a playmaker.

I love Iniesta - he is a typical Argentine creative MD, but excellent. His problem is that he is slow. If we want to replace him, go to Argentina - we have them coming out of our ears. Most European teams are not interested in this type of player because, like Iniesta, they lack speed. Therefore, the players they bring up are fast and not necessarily with great ball control and passing skills. Most European teams play faster and fastest without a creative MD, because that type of player slows the team down. That type of player plays the Barça style of play.

We need time to develop the player, at least two to three years. When we bring the player up, he needs time to adapt to La Liga. Iniesta or Xavi did not adapt themselves immediately to La Liga, either. Therefore, it is too late to find one now to replace Iniesta.

Hektor

I used to know a lot, visited Buenos Aires many times and know top football talent management company. I was present at a dinner meeting involves the football management company and Atletico Madrid repesentitves some years back.However, I'm not following Argentina football that closely for few years now but in touch with the managment company from time to time.

I do not follow Argentine football anymore, except for the national teams. Therefore, I do not know the players in Argentina. Are we scouting Argentina like Atletico Madrid? I do not think so. In addition, I do not think that we would be interested in the same kind of players that AM would be, because our style of play. We should have scouts, local ones, working for us.

Please tell me about the football talent management companies and how they work.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

I do not follow Argentine football anymore, except for the national teams. Therefore, I do not know the players in Argentina. Are we scouting Argentina like Atletico Madrid? I do not think so. In addition, I do not think that we would be interested in the same kind of players that AM would be, because our style of play. We should have scouts, local ones, working for us.

Please tell me about the football talent management companies and how they work.

I sent you a pm with info on the football talent company.

Home of Barca Fans