Ernesto Valverde - V1

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Agreed. The thing is that there's no point in bringing those stats even. It's fairly obvious just by looking at the games that we do create less chances than in the past due to being more careful to not give teams the chance to counter us.

Yes, but we should also expect our defence to be under more pressure and conceding more chances and possible goals against teams that are in-form and got players of the quality to really hurt any defence in the World.

We're doing great, but we're still not set up like Atletico Madrid that are built upon defence first and then simply being clinical and getting those one or two goals they need.

Which is why I don't want to go over the top with the current system in place. Luckily for us Chelsea seem to be shit right now and only have Hazard and possibly Willian and Pedro if he's on the top of his game that can hurt us IMO.

Let's say I'm more in the hope bracket if we got some luck and get it right than expecting us to win the CL that I get the impression many do.

Last edited:

serghei

Yes, but we should also expect our defence to be under more pressure and conceding more chances and possible goals against teams that are in-form and got players of the quality to really hurt any defence in the World.

We're doing great, but we're still not set up like Atletico Madrid that are built upon defence first and then simply being clinical and getting those one or two goals they need.

Which is why I don't want to go over the top with the current system in place. Luckily for us Chelsea seem to be shit right now and only have Hazard and possibly Willian and Pedro if he's on the top of his game that can hurt us IMO.

I will have to see exactly how strong we are in defense, and only then we could see if this way of playing can work. If we reduce Chelsea to almost no chances in England, then it's clear that it is working. On the other hand, if Chelsea park the bus and still match us for dangerous chances created it's not good at all, because it means we have the ball but we don't know what to do with it (other than find Messi, which you can see that he can have poor games at his age anytime, including in CL as it's been proven in recent years).

Devils

I feel like he is trying to do too much with the options available to him.

His 442 was working pretty great. He should stick to that and make a few tweaks here and there. Today there was just too much configuration and things were too disjointed.

DonAK

I will have to see exactly how strong we are in defense, and only then we could see if this way of playing can work. If we reduce Chelsea to almost no chances in England, then it's clear that it is working. On the other hand, if Chelsea park the bus and still match us for dangerous chances created it's not good at all.

Yes, and if it doesn't work I expect Valverde to go back to a more attacking system next season even if it exposes us to more chances. That's the way we've always won. I think this is a bigger experiment than ever, but hope to see it work.

serghei

I feel like he is trying to do too much with the options available to him.

His 442 was working pretty great. He should stick to that and make a few tweaks here and there. Today there was just too much configuration and things were too disjointed.

That is one issue. The other is overplaying some players.

Paulinho, Semedo, Vidal didn't start vs Valencia. All 3 are good enough to play vs Getafe at home from the start. You can't find 3 better players than those in their team. Instead, he let the fresh players on the bench, and they just matched us simply by being more intense.

Stoichkov1

Just wanted to check something quick in terms of goalscoring rate:

2013-14: 2.63 goals/game

2014-15: 2.89 goals/game

2015-16: 2.94 goals/game

2016-17: 3.05 goals/game

2017-18: 2.60 goals/game right now

Now this doesn't say much right now as we could still end up scoring a lot of goals and ending up better in terms of goals scored this season.

But if you check out this link: http://www.squawka.com/football-tea...0#any#any#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#avg

And go from season to season, you can also see that we're also creating the lowest amount of chances since 2012-13.

Getting that first goal in a CL tie is going to be very, very important.

lol real madrid created more chances than us in every season and won 1 league title in 6 years.

The only explanation for this is that they aren't clinical enough or that their defence concedes a lot of goals.

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
What is with him overplaying Roberto and not giving enough chances to Semedo. Roberto played a tough away game 3 days ago and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire at RB

Wish he showed half as much faith in Semedo as his crush Gomes.

LeeRomeno

What is with him overplaying Roberto and not giving enough chances to Semedo. Roberto played a tough away game 3 days ago and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire at RB

Wish he showed half as much faith in Semedo as his crush Gomes.

He probably would have wanted that, but due to that experimental CB pair he wanted at least regular FBs in place. Was either Roberto or Pique.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to check something quick in terms of goalscoring rate:

2013-14: 2.63 goals/game

2014-15: 2.89 goals/game

2015-16: 2.94 goals/game

2016-17: 3.05 goals/game

2017-18: 2.60 goals/game right now

Now this doesn't say much right now as we could still end up scoring a lot of goals and ending up better in terms of goals scored this season.

But if you check out this link: http://www.squawka.com/football-tea...0#any#any#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#avg

And go from season to season, you can also see that we're also creating the lowest amount of chances since 2012-13.

Getting that first goal in a CL tie is going to be very, very important.

Where are the stats for conceded goals? We are breaking records with our defense and judging by last 10 years most people were saying that was the key to CL.

DonAK

Where are the stats for conceded goals? We are breaking records with our defense and judging by last 10 years most people were saying that was the key to CL.

Not quite considering the last four winners conceded more goals in the league than we're currently projected to do.

But let's see. It's interesting for sure.

Zincubus

Banned
I think Valverde just got found out today ... we have been overachieving all season , struggling for many games and being bailed out by Messi or a Suarez wonder goal ... we hardly ever score in the first half apparently

Today was on the cards ...

FCBfan22

I think Valverde just got found out today ... we have been overachieving all season , struggling for many games and being bailed out by Messi or a Suarez wonder goal ... we hardly ever score in the first half apparently

Today was on the cards ...

No he didn't. Our players did not do enough in the first half to wear Getafe out. We should have played the whole match as we did in the last 40 minutes and Getafe would crack, as did all teams this season, because there is no way that you can press us the whole match at the highest level. But because we were shambles in the 1st half Getafe had to do fuck all (even could go forward at times). When we finally started attacking, it was too late and we couldn't wear Getafe out.

Home of Barca Fans