2011-2012 CL Final: Bayern - Chelsea

B

barcelonista

@el tren:

So what are you suggesting Chelsea should have played like? You're bemoaning that Chelsea conceded 43 shots. 43 shots despite parking the bus. Can you imagine what it would have looked like if they actually played some attacking football? Catenaccio was their only hope. They were never going to win the midfield battle with Mikel and 34 year old Lampard up against Kroos and Schweinsteiger and I don't want to know what Luiz vs. Robben and Ribery vs. Bosingwa would have looked like in a higher backline. Footballing-wise they couldn't even outplay Benfica. Everyone knows that, including Chelsea themselves.

I obviously don't like this kind of football. Otherwise I wouldn't be a Barcelona supporter. But I'm not bitter either. I don't support catenaccio, but I can understand when certain teams apply those tactics. Real Madrid don't belong in this group. Because their squad is far too talented to resort to Pepe and Lass in central midfield while Kaka, Higuain, Özil etc. are sitting on the bench. For this Chelsea team it's understandable though. Cech, Mata and Cole were the only worthful players in their squad yesterday.

Apart from that. Why are people so surprised all of a sudden? They played far worse against us. In their own stadium as well: 1 shot on target. Yesterday they at least managed 3. :lol:

Even though I am not a fan of Chelsea FC, I have to give them a lot of respect and admiration for winning in Bavaria yesterday. Fine, they don't play the most entertaining style of football to watch, but they did win, isn't that the point of playing the game? If you tell me that is not the reason to play, then play in a recreational league where winning doesn't matter as much.

Chelsea took advantage of chances after Munich could not bury more of their chances, that is the main reason why Munich did not win last night. Munich had many chances, but did not put the ball in the goal more often. Robben had a chance to win it with that penalty, but did not. Also, Schweinsteiger didn't bury his PK and then Drogba did and the rest is history. The best part of the Chelsea story is that they found ways to overcome adversity, find ways to win, sticking together as a team; that is very admirable and lesson of this story.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
In what way was that a football lesson? Did they teach us, that you can be just bad in almost every aspect of the game (leaving out scoring from corners and saving penalty shots) and still win?

take your chances.

that's the lesson.

Chelsea conceded 80-odd shots to Barça and Bayern, but only let 3 goals in. alright part of that was blocking shots (made easier by bus parkage) and part was Cech being a boss, but both Barça and Bayern had enough easy chances to fuck Chelsea right out of the competition. both teams failed to take these chances, and Chelsea took four of a handful they made and won it all.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
504x1664xterry.png.pagespeed.ic.5lFP-LAtHm.png

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I know what you meant. I was highlighting the fact that it was simply your opinion, and perhaps somewhat arrogant to use as if it were somehow objective.

Or perhaps ignorant to intimate that while not objective, it is in all probability the majority sentiment...There's a reason why it's called negative footy

jamrock

why is it that people keep saying chelsea have had bad luck in the cl,perior to this season,then keep pointing to the barca game a few seasons back,because of thier selective memory, as if it was a ond of game, if anything they were lucky to return home with a chance, barca dominated the first leg,missed chances(like they did in the return), chelsea should have had a player sent off(which we did) and we should have had a pk. these are all facts check the type. so dont tell me about bad luck.

Jenks

Or perhaps ignorant to intimate that while not objective, it is in all probability the majority sentiment...There's a reason why it's called negative footy

The key word of course being 'footy'. Also, for arguments sake, Barca don't balance attack and defence either...

jamrock

if anything they are one of the luckest teams in the cl in recent memory,for making deep runs in the cl on the back of kicking the hell out of any team better than them(not this season), yet some how managing to finish games with 11 men. and stop this shit about great defensive performance,juve use to give us that. this cl has been opened up so many times it not even funny, they made us under ricky look like a great defensive team. they were lucky thats it.

T

tariqo

Chelsea win was a disastrous night for football & LOL @their fans calling chelsea the best team in the world now

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
@el tren:

So what are you suggesting Chelsea should have played like? You're bemoaning that Chelsea conceded 43 shots. 43 shots despite parking the bus. Can you imagine what it would have looked like if they actually played some attacking football? Catenaccio was their only hope. They were never going to win the midfield battle with Mikel and 34 year old Lampard up against Kroos and Schweinsteiger and I don't want to know what Luiz vs. Robben and Ribery vs. Bosingwa would have looked like in a higher backline. Footballing-wise they couldn't even outplay Benfica. Everyone knows that, including Chelsea themselves.

I obviously don't like this kind of football. Otherwise I wouldn't be a Barcelona supporter. But I'm not bitter either. I don't support catenaccio, but I can understand when certain teams apply those tactics. Real Madrid don't belong in this group. Because their squad is far too talented to resort to Pepe and Lass in central midfield while Kaka, Higuain, Özil etc. are sitting on the bench. For this Chelsea team it's understandable though. Cech, Mata and Cole were the only worthful players in their squad yesterday.

Apart from that. Why are people so surprised all of a sudden? They played far worse against us. In their own stadium as well: 1 shot on target. Yesterday they at least managed 3. :lol:
I never said anything about their options and against it being legit, to play like that, i.e. just crowd their own box. But i evaluated it based on the number of shots they received.

But your argumentation of 'only 7 on target' and '22 were blocked anyway' is somehow exaggerating their defensive performance by far. You hardly have control of the 43 shots - even if you try to block them. I wished that 1-2 were deflected and went in w/out Cech being able to react. Thats what can easily happen there as well.

ivan22

i said this before and everyone just thought it was a stupid idea. it's just so obvious even the most skilled of left footed players always seem to go bottom right.

I watched u17 euros final Germany - Netherlands, title was decided in penalty shootout. No left footed player went bottom right...there were like 4 left footed players. was surprised! seems like the young lads know it better!

Rumour is that Kroos, Contento, Tymoshuk and Robben all were scared of taking the penalty. The latter you can understand and Tymo and Contento have not played enough. Olic took Tymos penalty kick, apparently Muller was screaming at Tymoshuk to take the penalty kick. Also Neuer was meant to take the last penalty kick. It seems like Bayern had lost the shoot out before the first kick.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Chelsea win was a disastrous night for football & LOL @their fans calling chelsea the best team in the world now

The English Media agrees. Not surprising.

Still, Chelsea played far more pleasing football versus Bayern than they did against Barca. Not saying it was good, but that it was better. Also Bayern squandered so many chances. Sometimes they came across as desperate just shooting the ball anywhere near the goal but not on target.

Home of Barca Fans