Yuri Zhirkov

M.L. King

The Preacher
This Russian player has been linked with some of big clubs; among them with us.

He is a great LB and would be a perfect for our playing system.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I see him more as a wing back or a classic LM.
As far as our left back spot is concerned, I`m happy with Abidal. He`s a solid player, very athletic and can put in a good tackle, and that all we need.

hendryrusli

I'm happy with Abidal's peformance this season but we desperately need another LB. Sylvinho won't last for another season.

nebeer

Love is All
I see him more as a wing back or a classic LM.
As far as our left back spot is concerned, I`m happy with Abidal. He`s a solid player, very athletic and can put in a good tackle, and that all we need.

I'm happy with Abidal. We may buy a back up though.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
We need a LB back-up of an attacking nature to cover for Dani when he's injured/rested/suspended. The replacement RB also has to be Abidalish in defence to compensate for Yuri's attacking. Keeps us unpredictable and balanced.

DivineVisitor

The Right One ⇩
Well when Alves is out Puyol is very capable to covering his position so we don't really need to look for a back-up there. We already got it sorted. LB we do need someone who will add that extra dimention to the attack. But what are the options?

Ashley Cole
Yuri Zhirkov
Philip Lahm
Gael Clichy

Are there any other candidates?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Well when Alves is out Puyol is very capable to covering his position so we don't really need to look for a back-up there. We already got it sorted. LB we do need someone who will add that extra dimention to the attack. But what are the options?

Ashley Cole
Yuri Zhirkov
Philip Lahm
Gael Clichy

Are there any other candidates?

Maxwell (not to good in the defensive)
Insua (a future star?)
Adriano (Sevilla - I like him)
Taiwo (but I'm not sure about him though. Seen him play a couple of times and he was OK. Marseille finished 2 in the league, so he did a good job)
Chiellini (would not ad an extra dimension though, but very good defensively!, impossible to get though since Juve is building a new team that imo will be very good)
Vargas

But could we get Zhirkov, Lahm or any other LB that good to be a bench warmer?

Btw, I like Zhirkov. I think he is a quality player. Bu t how old is he? He should last at least 3 seasons...

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
I think we could get him to accept not a bench role, but a rotational role. Look at United, how many top players sit on the bench and don't complain because every time they're rotated, they play with a first-XI standard team. We need to build squad depth with quality, that'll never happen if we keep signing "smaller" players because more often than not they are exposed when it matters. And on the options, realistically Zhirkov is the easiest option because he'll be wanting to take his game to the next level and move from the Russian league. Lahm, i'm not totally sure but seems to be a Bayern fan favourite and committed to his club, plus he'd be crazy expensive. Cole can fuck off, and Evra wouldn't leave Man U so realistically, i'd like us to go for him. People like Taye Taiwo and Santon are good but imo we need to move into an era where we only play with the best players and the canteraños to cement our position as one of the kings of European football. I really think if we add to our squad in the right way and continue with our philosophy as far as playing and youth talent is concerned, we can become the very best team in Europe for a long time. And tbh I think he's way better than Abidal (sorry Mina, I still love the guy):tongue:

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I think we could get him to accept not a bench role, but a rotational role. Look at United, how many top players sit on the bench and don't complain because every time they're rotated, they play with a first-XI standard team. We need to build squad depth with quality, that'll never happen if we keep signing "smaller" players because more often than not they are exposed when it matters. And on the options, realistically Zhirkov is the easiest option because he'll be wanting to take his game to the next level and move from the Russian league. Lahm, i'm not totally sure but seems to be a Bayern fan favourite and committed to his club, plus he'd be crazy expensive. Cole can fuck off, and Evra wouldn't leave Man U so realistically, i'd like us to go for him. People like Taye Taiwo and Santon are good but imo we need to move into an era where we only play with the best players and the canteraños to cement our position as one of the kings of European football

I totally agree. I also want top players where we don't lose to much quality when we rotate. That's also why I would like Cesc. Santon is quality, but he is RB. For next season he could adapt to our system and start to play in the second half of the season. I'm sure he will be up there with Alves, Maicon and a young Zambrotta.
But as you say Quash, Zhirkov would be the most realistic choice and maybe also the best. Abidal has the defensive qualities and Zhirkov has the offensive qualities (but also reliable in the defensive).

E

EFCB

It would appear that Zhirkov is heavily talking up a move to Barça in an interview with Sport. He is this season's equivalent to Arshavin...

He is basically saying that it is his dream to play for Barça, and despite interest from other teams, Barça will always be his team. But he remains realistic in that until an offer is made, he firmly remains a CSKA player.

I must admit that I have never watched a Russian league match, so don't know how he performs each week, but I was impressed with him during Euro 2008, who along with Arshavin and Pavlyuchenko, was Russia's best performer. He appeared to play more of a Left Winger though.

Could he be Sylvinho's replacement? Or would he go straight into the 1st team and Abidal will have to play back-up? I think he would certainly be a good signing, but only at the right price... You know what these Russian teams are like!?

DivineVisitor

The Right One ⇩
Well Chelsea were offering something like 10 million and then pushed it up to 15 million. No doubt we'd get him for less especially seeing as how he would welcome a move, wouldn't be a bad buy and isn't exactly expensive so i don't see any reason not to take him on.

Home of Barca Fans