Luis Suárez

Tiny Kim

I love Suarez. I've been following him since his Ajax days. But I believe he's currently nowhere near as good as he was 2 years ago or during his Liverpool days. He was never a passing maestro but he's usually much better than this. Although I agree that he hasn't lost his passion and determination on the pitch. That is a good sign at the very least.

Meatball

I love Suarez. I've been following him since his Ajax days. But I believe he's currently nowhere near as good as he was 2 years ago or during his Liverpool days. He was never a passing maestro but he's usually much better than this. Although I agree that he hasn't lost his passion and determination on the pitch. That is a good sign at the very least.

Sorry, I have to disagree! Suarez this season is just as good as he was at Liverpool and even better than his time at Ajax! It's just that opponents almost always park the bus playing against Barca, which isn't the case for Liverpool and Ajax! As a result, less space for Suarez to perform! Furthermore, Suarez was the top main man at Liverpool and Ajax, he got more ball to play with there, which can't be the same at Barca with the appearance of Messi and Neymar.

Tiny Kim

Sorry, I have to disagree! Suarez this season is just as good as he was at Liverpool and even better than his time at Ajax! It's just that opponents almost always park the bus playing against Barca, which isn't the case for Liverpool and Ajax! As a result, less space for Suarez to perform! Furthermore, Suarez was the top main man at Liverpool and Ajax, he got more ball to play with there, which can't be the same at Barca with the appearance of Messi and Neymar.

I disagree. He was the main man because he was involved in everything. Watch his first ever Liverpool match, coming on as a substitute against Stoke City, a team that is well known for parking the bus(Liverpool's major weakness). He was all over the pitch in an instant, passing, moving, shouting orders, creating chances. And that was why he was quickly seen as the main man, because he could do just about anything. People could see he had the X factor. And even though he managed to score only 4 goals during his first 6 months, he was regarded as the most important player in the team from that season alone, perhaps even more than Gerrard, because he makes things happen.

I'm not seeing much of the aforementioned ability this season. He definitely had it during the first 2 seasons here, then it seemed to have gradually fizzled out a bit from then on.

Meatball

M still not convinced here! Suarez s role at Liverpool is a bit different compared to his at Barca! You can't expect Suarez to play the same way he did at Liverpool! Let me make it simple by comparing this season and his first two seasons at Barca:

-Finishing: a little bit off overall but Suarez even at his first two seasons was notorious for missing easy chances and nailing it with the more difficult ones, still scored many goals just a few behind Messi if I recall correctly.
-Movement off the ball to harass opponents defense, creating chances: not much difference from what I saw.
-Chemistry with his teammates or link-up play: not as good, a bit off this season but can't blame this on him cuz of the changes in the team especially midfield with Lucho s experiment especially with Gomes! And Messi position s a bit different also cuz of the departure of Alves.
-His pressing: I didn't see any different!
-His passing: a bit off cuz his first touch s a bit off also

+Overall form: a bit off but still scored ton of goals, even Messi and Neymar or any other players have off form patches here and there and I doubt Suarez was always on form through out his time at Liverpool, I bet my house he had some bad days there. Therefore I think it's too much of a stretch to say he s nowhere near as good as he was at Liverpool cuz it's not true at all!

Like i said, Suarez s roles at Liverpool and Barca are different, can't expect him to be involved in everything the way he was at Liverpool, he s still a beast at Barca at least to me!

So...let's agree to disagree then :p

Last edited:

Neymessi

M still not convinced here! Suarez s role at Liverpool is a bit different compared to his at Barca! You can't expect Suarez to play the same way he did at Liverpool! Let me make it simple by comparing this season and his first two seasons at Barca:

-Finishing: a little bit off overall but Suarez even at his first two seasons was notorious for missing easy chances and nailing it with the more difficult ones, still scored many goals just a few behind Messi if I recall correctly.
-Movement off the ball to harass opponents defense, creating chances: not much difference from what I saw.
-Chemistry with his teammates or link-up play: not as good, a bit off this season but can't blame this on him cuz of the changes in the team especially midfield with Lucho s experiment especially with Gomes! And Messi position s a bit different also cuz of the departure of Alves.
-His pressing: I didn't see any different!
-His passing: a bit off cuz his first touch s a bit off also

+Overall form: a bit off but still scored ton of goals, even Messi and Neymar or any other players have off form patches here and there and I doubt Suarez was always on form through out his time at Liverpool, I bet my house he had some bad days there. Therefore I think it's too much of a stretch to say he s nowhere near as good as he was at Liverpool cuz it's not true at all!

Like i said, Suarez s roles at Liverpool and Barca are different, can't expect him to be involved in everything the way he was at Liverpool, he s still a beast at Barca at least to me!

So...let's agree to disagree then :p

Only his finishing and pressing is like his liverpool days. His passing dribbling close control are nowhere near what he used to have back then or in his first season at barca.

He is still a WC player though.

Meatball

Only his finishing and pressing is like his liverpool days. His passing dribbling close control are nowhere near what he used to have back then or in his first season at barca.

He is still a WC player though.
Nowhere near? Are you sure? Cuz that's not what I saw! His copa del rey goal against Atletico says otherwise! About his passing I think that maybe affected by his chemistry with his teammates, which i already explained above. More importantly, Suarez s biggest asset in my humble opinion is his finishing and work rate, not dribbling or passing or other things ! His first touch and close control is a bit off, I admit this.

Last edited:

Potroh

His passing dribbling close control are nowhere near what he used to have back then or in his first season at barca.

As these are the skills that cannot be forgotten, the best would be to ask the medical team about his present weight, as I'm certain he has at least 6-8 kilos excess.
The very minute he lost at least some of his excess weight, he could again do what he is capable of (even if it meant having less overall muscle density).

Neymessi

Nowhere near? Are you sure? Cuz that's not what I saw! His copa del rey goal against Atletico says otherwise! About his passing I think that maybe affected by his chemistry with his teammates, which i already explained above. More importantly, Suarez s biggest asset in my humble opinion is his finishing and work rate, not dribbling or passing or other things ! His first touch and close control is a bit off, I admit this.

I knew someone would quote me and mention that ateltico goal but that was the only instance of him doing something in that department in the near past. He has just showed that one instance and boy in that one instance he did so well. Otherwise he hardly does anything like that anymore. Back then you would see him doing that quite often and even if didn't score by dribbling past 3 players,he would still dribble past players a lot on a weekly basis.

Meatball

I knew someone would quote me and mention that ateltico goal but that was the only instance of him doing something in that department in the near past. He has just showed that one instance and boy in that one instance he did so well. Otherwise he hardly does anything like that anymore. Back then you would see him doing that quite often and even if didn't score by dribbling past 3 players,he would still dribble past players a lot on a weekly basis.
Can't attach any pictures into my post! So frustrating! The web doesn't seem to work well with iPad n IOS! Can you take a screenshot and post the picture for me, it shows the detailed statistics of Suarez recent years including his days at Liverpool! Statistic can't reflect everything about the performance of players on the pitch I know, but still, we can know something through the numbers! Here s the link (the one in the "offensive" tab):
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/22221/History/Luis-Suárez

Last edited:

El Flaco

Suárez's goal vs. Valencia

[gfy]ThirdWeakAtlanticblackgoby[/gfy]

[gfy]ConcernedInformalGavial[/gfy]

[gfy]CheapImpassionedEnglishpointer[/gfy]

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
His runs were excellent today and he's such a strong physical force on our side, unlike in years past where most of our team was unimposing. He continues to rack up goals, despite some erroneous plays.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
His runs were excellent today and he's such a strong physical force on our side, unlike in years past where most of our team was unimposing. He continues to rack up goals, despite some erroneous plays.

As you said. And his goals are crucial for us.

Neymessi

Neymar - Bad finishing but great with the ball.

Suarez- Not so good with the ball but great finishing.

Have lost count how many times this has hapenned in a match this season.

Home of Barca Fans