João Laporta

Barcilliant

Going to be very interesting to see Laporta as president this time around.
The football world has changed and I feel this squad is weaker than the 03-04 one.
Back in the day you could get great players at a decent price. Nowadays even mediocre ones cost an arm and a leg. To me who he appoints as sporting/football director will make or break him. We can't afford big stars anymore so we have to produce them or discover them.
He also needs to call time on the seniors careers. They are finished here. Maybe Messi still has something left but Busquets, Pique, Alba have to go.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Laporta's economic sidekick/deputy Jaume Giro's remarks from the interview hosted by MD and Palco123: https://www.palco23.com/clubes/jaum...masa-salarial-es-imposible-recomponernos.html

The guy doesn't appear convincing at all, didn't bring any original ideas to the table, didn't appear to mention any idea to broaden the revenue stream, kept insisting on issuing bonds and placating sponsors. Sounds very old-schoolish and a typical reflection of what Joan Laporta is.

In comparison, Font and Toni Freixa at least appeared more exciting and said the right things. Snippets below:

Font: https://www.palco23.com/clubes/vict...-condiciones-economicas-de-goldman-sachs.html

Toni Freixa: https://www.palco23.com/clubes/toni...-con-un-inversor-para-el-barca-corporate.html

Richard.H

Going to be very interesting to see Laporta as president this time around.
The football world has changed and I feel this squad is weaker than the 03-04 one.
Back in the day you could get great players at a decent price. Nowadays even mediocre ones cost an arm and a leg. To me who he appoints as sporting/football director will make or break him. We can't afford big stars anymore so we have to produce them or discover them.
He also needs to call time on the seniors careers. They are finished here. Maybe Messi still has something left but Busquets, Pique, Alba have to go.

Another important change from his time is that "connections", "being good friends", "knowing someone" holds far less weight now in the world of football than before. All these oil clubs have money and at the end of the day, money talks far louder than being on the good side of some agent. Hope he realizes this.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Another important change from his time is that "connections", "being good friends", "knowing someone" holds far less weight now in the world of football than before. All these oil clubs have money and at the end of the day, money talks far louder than being on the good side of some agent. Hope he realizes this.

That's why I don't trust him, he is a politician who is stuck in the old times and old ways, who brags about his connections. He is more like a mafia boss than a person with a vision and plan in this complete different day and age.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I am afraid we will be in for some real shock when Laporta takes over. While austerity is understandable and necessary, you can't just cut and cut your expenses to become competitive again, which seems to be the only one or primary focus of Laporta. You've got to find new sources of revenue and not get left behind in today's day and age.

From what Giro said it seems Laporta doesn't value non-football sections and some of the digital efforts that club has embarked on, such as Barca Studios and others under the Barca Corporate entity, I fear those will be on the chopping block. That is just stupid. The future is digital and that's where the new source of growth is, you can't just fall back in the name of cutting costs.

The fact this guy can't even appear in an economic debate to answer some basic questions about his plans and vision is telling and concerning. Font and Freixa might not be the right ones but Laporta isn't either. This is 2021.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Curious if anyone can see him and Font actually working together.

I think it is clear Laporta will win but as many have mentioned, he does not seem to have any new ideas or real platform. Font at the very least has some decent ideas that could make us competitive but he does not have the experience or presence to handle leading the club.

Especially if Laporta clearly wins this, I wonder if Font would still be willing to be apart of things if Laporta extended him the opportunity.

soul24rage

I think it is clear Laporta will win but as many have mentioned, he does not seem to have any new ideas or real platform. Font at the very least has some decent ideas that could make us competitive but he does not have the experience or presence to handle leading the club.

Especially if Laporta clearly wins this, I wonder if Font would still be willing to be apart of things if Laporta extended him the opportunity.

That would be the best scenario but I think it was mentioned a few times from them that they don't intend to work together.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

That would have been great but I am afraid both men, actually all three of them (Freixa included) have too big of an ego to do that. Looking at the ideas put forth by the three, they share many similarities and actually not differing much (mostly on whether issuing bonds is a good idea or not between Laporta and Font. Font thinks it poses a danger of turning the club into a sport company and piling on more debt), they should be able to work together. I hope if Font and Freixa don't officially become part of the club management in any capacity after the election, at least Laporta will be open to their ideas and suggestions.

i_bleed_blaugrana

That would have been great but I am afraid both men, actually all three of them (Freixa included) have too big of an ego to do that. Looking at the ideas put forth by the three, they share many similarities and actually not differing much (mostly on whether issuing bonds is a good idea or not between Laporta and Font. Font thinks it poses a danger of turning the club into a sport company and piling on more debt), they should be able to work together. I hope if Font and Freixa don't officially become part of the club management in any capacity after the election, at least Laporta will be open to their ideas and suggestions.

It is nothing short of ridiculous that these rich assholes fragile fucking egos would keep them from coming together to save this club. Same sort of shit that got us here.

I think it is all about how Laporta handles taking the W. I do not see Frexia working with him, Font I am not so sure. He seems to genuinely care and having a chance of seeing his vision come to fruition might make him bite the bullet and work with Laporta.

I was very young during his first campaign but I know he could be a bit divisive.

Andresito

Staff member
Benaiges, Alemany, Sergi and Alexanko present at Laporta's presentation of his sporting project.

Benagies was also in Font's organizational chart a few months ago. But seems he's eager to return to the club and willing to work with candidate.

Valdes is also there and is given another lifeline. Seems like he's been a disaster everywhere he's been after becoming a coach.

khaled_a_d

Benaiges, Alemany, Sergi and Alexanko present at Laporta's presentation of his sporting project.

Benagies was also in Font's organizational chart a few months ago. But seems he's eager to return to the club and willing to work with candidate.

Valdes is also there and is given another lifeline. Seems like he's been a disaster everywhere he's been after becoming a coach.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2021/02/25/603774c446163f02048b4574.html

The names he brings has way more weight than the ones Font have, although some nostalgic names there tbh.
OTOH he touched some progressive points, about need for change, adding new names, date being available for everyone (maybe Birdy will hate him less after that :D)

Messigician

Laporta: ?Football has changed and that is something we have discussed with Alemany. We must move forward with things and become a reference in all areas" #FCB

My president

Home of Barca Fans