Premier League 2020/2021

Who will win the Premier League?

• Total voters

Birdy

i dont know, i watched the game i though united were very meh... that was a very good freekick by Fernandes but its an isolated act, more on him than united as a team. i still rate united as very average side. for example, maguire, lindelod, and pogba are soooooo brutally 'meh'/boring, always making silly mistakes/giving the ball away. yet they are getting very consistent results. i am with those who think this is a bubble that has to burst some time soon. seems to me like theyre punching way higher above their weight.

for example, again, i would feel very confident that barca would beat United if we played them in the CL over two legs. very very confident. but i would not say that at all about liverpool

About the last one, nah... United will reap us apart on the counter. Unless we find a fast partner of Araujo.
But yeah, obviously Liverpool are a better team overall than Utd despite their dip in form.

United should look to improve what I outlined above in terms of being dominant against weak opposition.
But in terms of personnel, you are right. The back-line and defensive mid is an area that needs some serious upgrading

El Gato

Villarato!
^
Nah

It's weird how similar the issues cited are. Athletic suggest a festering negative culture and self-preservation attitude in the locker room that Lampard has been trying to change from the get go, but board are quick to nuke it and work the problem in another way. They'll take a big PR hit as per usual. Can't help but wonder who the main culprits are. Azpi, Zouma, Alonso and Kante have been at the club the longest I think. Some sources suggest Cech has a weird role.
Cech had a role to play here too naturally in his role as technical and performance advisor, holding informal discussions with agents of key players about Chelsea’s slump in form. He took part in training too, meaning Lampard had the strange situation to manage of support from his long-term friend but knowing the Czech is close to the club’s hierarchy.

Also another lol from yesterday
EslI-_NXYAInw-9

Last edited:

Birdy

Tuchel is a great coach, BUT ...

he should have known better.
You don't go to a club that does not respect the institution, the position, and the role of the manager.
His fate is already written, and it will be similar to Lampard's soon, after the honeymoon ends...

Andresito

Staff member
Tuchel is a great coach, BUT ...

he should have known better.
You don't go to a club that does not respect the institution, the position, and the role of the manager.
His fate is already written, and it will be similar to Lampard's soon, after the honeymoon ends...

Doesn't matter when the pay is good. He'll probably get more money than what he'll contribute to Chelsea. Good deal for him.

Not like he had a bunch of other offers on the table.

malvolio

He was just sacked by PSG. Another cash grab from him. Who gives a fuck about respect for a manager. They are expendable at any club now.

You win = you're respected. You lose = you get the sack.

Have we quickly forgot how that bum Setien was given the boot?

Birdy

Money is not all that matters, especially for coaches that want to build a work and a reputation in the sport.
Chelsea is not a place to do that.
Tuchel was super hot and upcoming after Dortmund, and has already two straight bad career-choices with PSG and now Chelsea.
Maybe that would be enough to get him down in the pecking order so that he never works again for a top club.
Pity for him

El Gato

Villarato!
Money is not all that matters, especially for coaches that want to build a work and a reputation in the sport.
Chelsea is not a place to do that.

?
Chelsea is as good a place as anywhere to build own rep. Every destination has problems of different nature. As always it's about the manager fit. And that's not to say Tuchel is fit for purpose, that is to be seen.

Devils

I can't possibly imagine a more toxic relationship in football than Tuchel + Chelsea Management lmao.

A manager who has a history of falling out with the management of pretty much every club he has been at and a club directive that is famous for sacking managers every 1-2 seasons.

This will be Antonio Conte 2.0 minus the league title.

Birdy

?
Chelsea is as good a place as anywhere to build own rep. Every destination has problems of different nature. As always it's about the manager fit. And that's not to say Tuchel is fit for purpose, that is to be seen.

I don't think so.
Every top club wants success and wants to win titles. The question is how to approach that, and what guarantees and time a coach gets to deliver so.
A top club that tells a coach 'win now' without consideration of the context and the relative strength of the squad and the opposition is a toxic place.
Chelsea is one of the most toxic coaching positions to be in (alongside PSG, and a few others).

And, whether we like it or not, football has changed a lot since 2004.
The days of 'instant success' of a new coach are long gone by. And when I say succes I don't mean win a cup by putting together a string of decent games and some luck.
Success that has some lasting effect needs significant preparatory period.

El Gato

Villarato!
A top club that tells a coach 'win now' without consideration of the context and the relative strength of the squad and the opposition is a toxic place.

Uh no, disagree, depends on the side
We don't know what they've been telling their managers. The offense is newly assembled in almost its entirety, not to mention defense which has only had an old CB and a new keeper come in. If you assume some reason, they're very unlikely telling them 'win now'. Realistic expectation is top4 + title challenge if ambitious and performing above expectations, but not grounds for disappointment if not achieved. Sackings may attest to the contrary but also kind of poor character judgement. Similar to United. If anything such pressure is more expected at Spurs where squad is not new and wants a title before they likely disperse and move on for new challenge. Even though they're some distance behind Liverpool and turns out even City in the league + several other teams better than them in cups. And Spurs were not doing a 'toxic' thing to put such expectation on Mourinho.

The days of 'instant success' of a new coach are long gone by. And when I say succes I don't mean win a cup by putting together a string of decent games and some luck.
Success that has some lasting effect needs significant preparatory period.

Again not necessarily they arent. And why is a cup win not success? Depends which team. Also define 'instant'. To stick with the earlier example, as of before kick-off vs Wycombe today, Mourinho is fighting on 4 fronts (if you include Carabao) after 6 months of mediocrity and really very good autumn in 20/21. They're considered one of the heavy favourites for Europa along with United and maybe Milan. After 1 year in a job.

Lampard only had 4-5 months more than Jose, arguably did well to secure top4 and arguably unjustly sacked tho there are clearly reasons for why their plan failed. He has a fair share of the blame as he has repeatedly proven he thinks every player should react and think like he would back in his hayday. Which is a rookie manager error really. But until more evidence comes to light, we don't know just how deep Chelsea issues are rooted. I suspect in some ways it's similar to Madrid - lack of leaders, politics..

Home of Barca Fans