Barca pre-season 2020

khaled_a_d

Was Busi made to look much better due to the magic of Xavi and Iniesta, or he just declined rapidly once in his late 20s due to his poor athleticism?

I would argue Xavi benefited more from Busi rather than the opposite. Xavi declined a lot after 10/11 season (which was one of his best) and was probably very overrated since then. He was carried by a a younger core of players than we have now.
Busquets is a unique type of player, a sure fire all time great.
But his biggest weakness is that he never developed the versatility to play CM, which could have extended his career once his legs started to fail him. He would have been a better smarter version of what we saw from Arthur here.
But as DM, he was dependent on precision, his timing was always elite. Once he lost a step (when he was around 29) he was no more capable of keeping that precision. And then there was no one there to hid his limitations, like what happened with Xavi when he had Busquets,Iniesta, Messi, Mascherano,Pique to keep this as a good team.

Barcilliant

The seniors are done. You can tell they are finished physically and mentally.
It's going to take another 2-3 seasons before we get a proper team. At the moment there are too many broken parts ie seniors or parts that don't fit eg Coutinho and Griezmann.
Koeman has to take the hard decisions and axe alot of seniors. He has nothing to lose anyway. The way to rebuild is to primarily play the younger generation with the seniors filling the gaps.

Katarina1

Banned
I would argue Xavi benefited more from Busi rather than the opposite. Xavi declined a lot after 10/11 season (which was one of his best) and was probably very overrated since then. He was carried by a a younger core of players than we have now.
Busquets is a unique type of player, a sure fire all time great.
But his biggest weakness is that he never developed the versatility to play CM, which could have extended his career once his legs started to fail him. He would have been a better smarter version of what we saw from Arthur here.
But as DM, he was dependent on precision, his timing was always elite. Once he lost a step (when he was around 29) he was no more capable of keeping that precision. And then there was no one there to hid his limitations, like what happened with Xavi when he had Busquets,Iniesta, Messi, Mascherano,Pique to keep this as a good team.

Xavi was just as good in 08-09 with Toure instead of Busi

tacticvarium

Declined Xavi was still world class. Far from his usual GOAT level but still competitive enough for general European football.

FinBarcelonafan

It's going to take another 2-3 seasons before we get a proper team. At the moment there are too many broken parts ie seniors or parts that don't fit eg Coutinho and Griezmann.
Koeman has to take the hard decisions and axe alot of seniors. He has nothing to lose anyway. The way to rebuild is to primarily play the younger generation with the seniors filling the gaps.

True but why should it take 2-3 years? As long as Suarez doesn't play in over 60% of the games he should be gone after this season. Same with Messi. Vidal will be gone now. Only ones left would be Pique, Busi(nobody's touching his contract) and Alba(nobody's touching his contract). I think that's okay. Pique should be backup max after the next season. Busi should be send packing asap. I see no need. Alba we can keep for a year or two if no better solution show up.

I think we are very close to end of an era for the amigos.

Umtiti is probably unmovable too.

Roberto ain't problem as long as he is not a starter. One good LaMasia backup is fine.

So in one year, we have thrown out everyone we could. Not much else to do.

Of course, if good opportunity comes, send Pique/Busi/Alba and Umtiti packing before end of their deals.

Last edited:

Messi983

YJu2eT8S

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I wonder if Suarez would be as big a problem by himself. If we actually kept Suarez and let Messi go we might have been OK. Simply because Suarez fits the profile of the system.

We wont see fast attacking football with Suarez again. He fuck up every attack. He needs to go.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

So we should start as fast as possible but having Busquets, Vidal, Suarez, Roberto or Alba in the team dont help.

Messi983

Would like to see something like this in 1st half

Neto; Semedo, Araujo, Lenglet, Firpo; FDJ, Puig; Trincao, Griezmann, Dembele; Messi

Andresito

Staff member
Would like to see something like this in 1st half

Neto; Semedo, Araujo, Lenglet, Firpo; FDJ, Puig; Trincao, Griezmann, Dembele; Messi

Yep yep, I 100% would go for same.

Most important for me is that Frenkie, Riqui, Trincao and Messi play together.

Home of Barca Fans