Quique Setien

Birdy

Don't you guys think Messi would leave the playmaking responsibility if we'd actually have players who could handle it?

No.
He has already teammates who can pick him out with passes.
He does not want to do it.
Proof is not only his behavior on the pitch, but the multiple interviews the last couple of years where he explicitly says that he sees himself as a midfielder creating chances and playing further away from the box

serghei

Props to Setien for addressing the problem. Let?s see if he can execute it.

Need Messi in that 10 role with a midfield feeding him the ball, would be a nightmare for opposition. That?s why Puig has to start for me, he?s the only one who?s looked capable of playing risky balls forward.

A bit hard to play magical balls vs elite teams to forwards who barely move. Puig will try, he will start making errors which turn into dangerous counters for our mediocre defense, then Messi will drop deep and... you get the picture.

But maybe our forwards will realise the level of oppositiom here and will be more active. Then we can talk.

FinBarcelonafan

A bit hard to play magical balls vs elite teams to forwards who barely move. Puig will try, he will start making errors which turn into dangerous counters for our mediocre defense, then Messi will drop deep and... you get the picture.

But maybe our forwards will realise the level of oppositiom here and will be more active. Then we can talk.

Exactly. That's the biggest issue. I rarely see our forwards making runs for breakway/empty good spot. Suarez might try but he is too slow, easy for defender. We complain about lack of throughballs but we actually lack movement from forwards. Messi and Suarez mostly to blame. They stand and wait.

Messigician

We move!

Mauricio Pochettino (Argentine manager): "Once said I'd rather go back to my farm than coaching Bar?a? I didn't want to disrespect Barcelona, maybe now I wouldn?t say it, you never know what could happen in life." [el pa?s via @LaLigaLowdown] https://t.co/eXgPzIH3sK

Batistuta9

We move!

Mauricio Pochettino (Argentine manager): "Once said I'd rather go back to my farm than coaching Bar?a? I didn't want to disrespect Barcelona, maybe now I wouldn?t say it, you never know what could happen in life." [el pa?s via @LaLigaLowdown] https://t.co/eXgPzIH3sK

If pochettino is willing to coach Barca, he should be our no.1 choice to replace setien. Xavi is a legend but poch has managed at a high level for a number of years now.

El Gato

Villarato!
Definitely there's no better way to ruin his coaching career if he does end up at Barca in the final year of Bartomeu with that team :lol: Incredibly high risk if he does backtrack. He'll lose all integrity if he goes there and has no success.

Batistuta9

He's probably backtracked as he isn't getting many offers from big clubs. Man utd and real Madrid were strongly linked with him, but solskjaer and Zidane have done well, especially the 2nd part of the season. Apart from us, juve are probably the only big club that will need a new manager next season.

Porque

The Poche of Tino lost something like 72 games with Tottenham. Numbers like that make him only a slight upgrade over Setien.

serghei

The Poche of Tino lost something like 72 games with Tottenham. Numbers like that make him only a slight upgrade over Setien.

Barca and Tottenham aren't in the same league in terms of power and possibilities. Only the fact that he took Tottenham to a CL final makes him levels above Setien and Valverde.

Porque

Barca and Tottenham aren't in the same league in terms of power and possibilities. Only the fact that he took Tottenham to a CL final makes him levels above Setien and Valverde.

To be honest, I'm still a bit doubtful. Amazing run to reach the CL final, especially the ties against City which they rode their luck a little. But 13 League defeats is just a bit too much to not overlook.

serghei

To be honest, I'm still a bit doubtful. Amazing run to reach the CL final, especially the ties against City which they rode their luck a little. But 13 League defeats is just a bit too much to not overlook.

That came late in his tenure, after he finished 2nd with Tottenham in the year Leicester had that freak season. Imo, it's classic case of building up a team to unreasonable standards.

Tottenham punched above their weight with Pochettino.

Klopp was near the relegation places with Dortmund after half a season in 2014-15, and finished his last season with 14 defeats, 7 draws, and only 13 wins.

El Gato

Villarato!
He's probably backtracked as he isn't getting many offers from big clubs. Man utd and real Madrid were strongly linked with him, but solskjaer and Zidane have done well, especially the 2nd part of the season. Apart from us, juve are probably the only big club that will need a new manager next season.

Money talks with the man. Was waiting for that fat contract in either Saudi Newcastle or Turin after Sarri got binned.

I've always had my reservations with him. He's too nice in the open, even if he's not afraid of dropping people internally. He'd get more offers from underperforming teams if he was a promise of absolute despotism when introducing his fundamentals.

But he may yet be successful. If he does join Barca after Setien sacking now or mid-season, he'll shoot himself in the foot if he has the same kind of performance as the others did before him.

Kind of surprised Borussia aren't considering him. Favre seems to have plateaued out a bit.

Last edited:

Katarina1

Banned
I think Poch would be a good choice once the amigos are gone and we need someone to develop the younger players and bring us back to the top. His style of play and strengths as a manager aren't really suited to our current position though. For example, his training methods are supposedly very intense which obviously won't go over well with our current squad.

Last edited:

Birdy

Poch is wold-class manager, top3 after Pep and Klopp (Sorry I am not going to explain why to someone who fails to see that)

If he comes, and is given power to make decisions as to who plays and who does not, I think he is maybe the only manager available atm who can save this sinking ship even during Messi's final years. And of course Font or Laporta would not touch him if he does that.

The problem is that I am kind of dubious about his intentions, despite his statement above.
Let alone his love for RM and hate for Barca that is well documented in the past, in January he was indirectly approached by third parties on behalf of the board about the possibility of taking over. Rumor is he requested a ludicrous contract, so ludicrous that it was kind of obvious he was politely trying to refuse the offer.

Home of Barca Fans