Quique Setien

serghei

You can have an energetic, dynamic team with Messi in it. Needs the right man, vision and players alongside him.

You can remove Messi from the team and it would do fuck all if the right manager, players and a board, management with vision is not there.

Yes, you still can. But that window is closing. Which is why I don't see Messi being an important part in the next cycle. By the time we get something together, he'd be too old.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes, you still can. But that window is closing. Which is why I don't see Messi being an important part in the next cycle. By the time we get something together, he'd be too old.

You need to do something, you need to try. Cannot just sit there and cry and wait for Messi to leave.

JamDav1982

You can have an energetic, dynamic team with Messi in it. Needs the right man, vision and players alongside him.

You can remove Messi from the team and it would do fuck all if the right manager, players and a board, management with vision is not there.

Would be it be your dream team, 100% ideal? No, but it can still be a very good team and a top, top European team.

Where do you think Klopp or Pep would play Messi as he is at moment?

I dont think they would want to sign him in all honesty.

DonAK

Where do you think Klopp or Pep would play Messi as he is at moment?

I dont think they would want to sign him in all honesty.

I already said they wouldn't take over Barca, but you can still sign some good players and build a good team with Messi in it with the right manager. Messi should not be the system, but a part of it.

serghei

You need to do something, you need to try. Cannot just sit there and cry and wait for Messi to leave.

Imo they have already chose an option by signing Pjanic. That's basically reinforcing the team on short term, 1-2 season to maybe give Messi 1 more shot at the CL title.

They must know at this point that, looking at how they fucked things up, rebuilding the team with Messi in it is a pipe dream. They have failed to transition Messi to a new cycle.

JamDav1982

I already said they wouldn't take over Barca, but you can still sign some good players and build a good team with Messi in it with the right manager. Messi should not be the system, but a part of it.

If they were to sign him for their currently balanced teams is what I meant.

Hence saying dont think they would.

DonAK

Imo they have already choose the option to sign Pjanic. That's basically reinforcing the team on short term, 1-2 season to maybe give Messi 1 more shot at the CL title.

You give Abidal way too much credit. He's a useless moron. Doubt he had that in mind when signing him.

If they were to sign him for their currently balanced teams is what I meant.

Pep would probably have him play a more advanced role in place of Aguero and Klopp likewise in place of Firmino. Would probably need to sacrifice somewhere to make it work, most probably with the FBs not playing so high up as usual.

Not as balanced as their teams are right now, and I don't think they sign him because of his age.

But he is at Barca until he leaves so Barca don't have an option but to try to improve the team with him in it.

Last edited:

Richard.H

For Messi it?s not just a question of age but also of power. I think both Pep and klopp know you can?t yell at Messi to track back, he?s too big for instructions like that. In today?s game every player needs to track back for counters. Players are faster and stronger nowadays which makes counter attacks even deadlier.

Ideally you would need to surround Messi with midfielders that have insane stamina and ball retrieval skills, like the Kante?s and Fabinho?s. This would require a massive squad overhaul that I think Messi would not be happy about (losing all of his friends).

Last edited:

serghei

For Messi it’s not just a question of age but also of power. I think both Pep and klopp know you can’t yell at Messi to track back, he’s too big for instructions like that. In today’s game every player needs to track back for counters. Players are faster and stronger nowadays which makes counter attacks even deadlier

Yea, every favorite in CL defends with everyone. Literally everyone has a part in defending in CL. It's why teams like Atletico are always dangerous and with a fair shot at winning the CL.

DonAK

Waiting for Messi to retire to rebuild is just stupid. That's the mistake Alex Ferguson did with Man Utd which they paid for when he retired.

JamDav1982

Yea, every favorite in CL defends with everyone. Literally everyone has a part in defending in CL. It's why teams like Atletico are always dangerous and with a fair shot at winning the CL.

Every player defends and the best teams are generally those that are the deadliest on the break due to pace and movement.

Barca do neither.

serghei

For Messi it?s not just a question of age but also of power. I think both Pep and klopp know you can?t yell at Messi to track back, he?s too big for instructions like that. In today?s game every player needs to track back for counters. Players are faster and stronger nowadays which makes counter attacks even deadlier.

Ideally you would need to surround Messi with midfielders that have insane stamina and ball retrieval skills, like the Kante?s and Fabinho?s. This would require a massive squad overhaul that I think Messi would not be happy about (losing all of his friends).

That's the only way. 3 high workrate players behind Messi, Messi + 2 elite forwards.

Impossible to build that team. Messi would be at his best in a Milan, Kaka version. As Kaka. Feeding balls to 2 world class forwards + to a possible 3rd threat coming from behind like Seedorf.

Gatusso - Pirlo - Seedorf

Messi

Shevchenko - Crespo.

Last edited:

DonAK

That's the reason why I've wanted Barca to sign Camavinga. Him along with de Jong would be so good.

Home of Barca Fans