Erling Braut Haaland

BBZ8800

Well I don't share BBZs takes in their entire depth, but one thing is certain: Lautaro's output would have to at least double in very short time at Barca, or he'll just be another "phase". There's no way Barca will put up longer than 2-3 years with a main striker that racks up 20 scorers in an entire injury free season, just because his first touch is silky. And I don't think people realize how rare it actually is among the top strikers of the 2000s and 2010s, that they suddenly doubled or tripled their previous tally immediately after joining a top club. IIRC Rooney managed to do it actually, but I can't really think of many else since then.. The rest were all purchased after they had already proved to be capable of finding the goal often enough in their previous clubs.

I don't wanna spoil anyones optimism here and I might just be proven wrong in the end, but you are paying over a hundred million Euros for what is basically a colossal gamble.

Thanks.
Yes.
People always have that idea that a player will improve his numbers when he comes to Barca.

Stats from our last few No9 in a modern era:
Suarez:
Last season at Liverpool 33 matches, 31 league goals.
At Barca, he managed to be better than that in only 1 out of 6 seasons.

Villa:
Last season at Valencia:
32 matches, 21 goals
He has never matched those numbers at Barca.

Ibrahimovic:
Last season before Barca 35/25.
Barca 29/16.

Etoo:
Mallorca 32/17.

Saviola
River Plate 34/20
Barca best season 36/17.

Rivaldo
Deportivo 41/21
Barca similar numbers

Ronaldinho
Psg 27/8
Had two better seasons at Barca

Guily
Monaco 30/13
Barca, never reached those numbers

Henry similar

Dembele
Dortmund 32/6
Barca similar

So, out of 10 attackers mentioned here, only Etoo managed to consistently produce better numbers than in a previous club.
All other attackers had weaker numbers at Barca than in previous clubs.
Or similar numbers like Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Henry.
Ronnie had 2 good goalscoring seasons, but his overal stats were the same as pre-Barca, as expected.

Now, let's ask a crystal ball what will happen with Lautaro:
Will his numbers go up?
Or will they stay more or less the same as pre-Barca?

So, the question for Lautaro lovers: prepare yourself for a Cf who is scoring 20 goals per season.
Then remove Messi who will retire.
Than add a horribly braindead midfield in attacking terms.

Can mods please rename this forum to ArsenalForum, please?

Also, remember, there is a strong reason why no other big club wants Lautaro.
Except Messi, Barto and his Mundo Deportivo.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

BBZ, you almost always critize every move. What would you do to fix this team? What would you change to make Barca top ten again?

I am against Lautaro too. I don't think he is the answer.

mc_lovin

What would you change to make Barca top ten again?

Fuck me. We are. When did Barca fans get this whiny and entitled? I hate this overly negative atmosphere here. We are still winning titles. We are in a slow transition. Deal with it. There are no shortcuts or complete, succesful squad overhauls in a season or two. That being said, our "top" signings have been shit and our board probably couldnt have done a worse job. But a season where we win the league is not a season in vain (like last and hopefully this year).

Sorry, had to be said.

KingLeo10

Lol, even current Barca is among the top 5 in the world. The question is how do we get back to being the best team in the world.

Our slow, arrogant, "won too much" veterans still have enough in the tank to beat flashy, young, run you off the park Dortmund 8 times out of 10 in a 2 legged tie.

The only team definitively better than us is Pool. And then we're in the mix with Bayern, Real, Juve, QSG, AM, and City.

mc_lovin

Again, you post numbers without any context. Half the players are no #9s, Ibrahimovic and Villa had to make space for Messi. Saviola was never good enough. Funnily enough Etoo is the most comparable, which would be a good argument FOR Martinez ;-) Or lets say David Villa when he played for Valencia: similar height, comparable scoring record, but weaker. Still topclass.

So, what exactly are your expectations? I get the feeling they are a tad unrealistic. If Martinez scores 20+ goals a season he will be a major success. But, but Haaland I guess.

FinBarcelonafan

make top ten again?? you seriously can't believe that.

I actually tried to type top team, but cellphone corrected me wrong. My bad. Barca is top-10 team.

I think top teams are Bayern, City and Liverpool. We are in the same bracket with current Real, Atletico, PSG and Juventus. At least in CL. But I would probably choose some of those teams over Barca in CL.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Lol, even current Barca is among the top 5 in the world. The question is how do we get back to being the best team in the world.

Our slow, arrogant, "won too much" veterans still have enough in the tank to beat flashy, young, run you off the park Dortmund 8 times out of 10 in a 2 legged tie.

The only team definitively better than us is Pool. And then we're in the mix with Bayern, Real, Juve, QSG, AM, and City.

I'd say we are not top five team in CL. I'd take all these teams over us in CL, Bayern, City, Liverpool, Madrids and maybe even PSG right now. Juventus is close.

For CL we are too old and lack motivation and energy. These teams would run us over in two games.

BBZ8800

Again, you post numbers without any context. Half the players are no #9s, Ibrahimovic and Villa had to make space for Messi. Saviola was never good enough. Funnily enough Etoo is the most comparable, which would be a good argument FOR Martinez ;-) Or lets say David Villa when he played for Valencia: similar height, comparable scoring record, but weaker. Still topclass.

So, what exactly are your expectations? I get the feeling they are a tad unrealistic. If Martinez scores 20+ goals a season he will be a major success. But, but Haaland I guess.

If Saviola was never good enough, why did we buy him?
Barca paid 36m for Saviola in 2001.
He was hyped as the next Maradona back then.
For a comparison, we paid 32m for a world cup winner Ronalfinho in 2003, 27m for Etoo in 2004.
Man Utd bought Cr7 for 19m in 2003.

Saviola was almost twice as expensive as Cr7.
So, it is easy to say in hindsight that Saviola sucked.
Back then, it was a 130m transfer in today's worth.

Etoo was fast like a demon.
And was a nice dribbler.
I don't see that in Lautaro.

About Villa, he was a proven finisher before Barca.
Lautaro looks as a shit finisher even on a compilation video.

BBZ8800

BBZ, you almost always critize every move. What would you do to fix this team? What would you change to make Barca top ten again?

We need 1-2 natural winners and champions like Messi, Cr7 or: Mbappe and Halaand.

I would pay 200m if needed for Halaand.
That guy will bang 30-40 goals per season.

For the last 13-14 years, we had Messi.
He was Barca.
People forgot how hard it is to score goals in normal times, without Messi.

After Messi, we will need to invent someone new, like Ronaldinho or Rivaldo.
But knowing Barto and his idiot sporting directors, we will probably buy Sancho and Lautaro.
Luckily, we dodged a bullet with Dybala.
Remember when Barto and Mundo Deportivo wanted to buy that overhyped average player.

After Messi, we will either need someone magical or 1-2 goalscoring machines.

For guys who say: Lautaro is the best out of available players.
Well, 12 months ago nobody knew about Halaand.
And Lautaro was a nobody with 5 goals in Europe.
My point: in 12 Months, 1-2 new guys will emerge again.
Plus, there is a chance that a lot of teams will sell attackers due to corona bankruptcy.

So, there is no need for panic buys.
And short term, is a current Lautaro any better than Suarez? No.

So, what is the point and where's hurry to buy him no matter what?

Even if he was free, I would rather play Suarez in the next season.
Because even a granny Suarez will score more goals. Simple as that.

Home of Barca Fans