Emerson

Messi983

Bring him back next summer to compete with Semedo.

Buy Yan Couto for 5M or so and loan him to Betis for 2 years to get regular minutes and adapt to La Liga.

Then sell Semedo and have a future Brazilian NT #1 and #2 RB. They are different in terms of style so we could use both for a season or two though we'd probably just keep the better between them longterm and sell the other one.

xXKonan

I said it before but I think the odds of us spending big money on Fullbacks again are low.

Kimmich? TAA? Cancelo? just wishful thinking really. What is going to happen is we are going to use Roberto and Semedo as a base and buy cheap younger talent like Emerson and Wague to see how they perform. I'm convinced at this point Emerson will be bought back while Wague goes on loan/sold with a buyback.

Both Semedo and Roberto are 26/27 years old and aren't going anywhere anytime soon by the looks of it. They will remain until we find that young RB who is good enough to do away with them.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Bring him back next summer to compete with Semedo.

Buy Yan Couto for 5M or so and loan him to Betis for 2 years to get regular minutes and adapt to La Liga.

Then sell Semedo and have a future Brazilian NT #1 and #2 RB. They are different in terms of style so we could use both for a season or two though we'd probably just keep the better between them longterm and sell the other one.

Put 10 bucks on Real Madrid signing Yan Couto. I can feel it happening :coffee:

Messi983

Put 10 bucks on Real Madrid signing Yan Couto. I can feel it happening :coffee:

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I just hope we'll go seriously after him but it will be tough to get him because other clubs can offer him first team opportunity sooner than we can. I just hope that if we'll want him we'll offer him a loan to the club playing in a higher division and not want him for Barça B which he'd most likely reject. I think Eredivisie would be good for his development at this age. We have an agreement with Utrecht to send them players on loan so maybe it's time to start using that. I don't know how good he is but looking at TM Utrecht's starting RB Sean Klaiber is only 25 and he has played the most minutes for them this season so maybe loaning them Couto is not really the best idea. We could surely find another club though.

Couto is still only 17 so he's probably aware that if he'll sign for any big club he'll have to go on loan for a season or two so I'd say we still have a chance. But there are many "developing clubs" outside of the top 5 leagues (like Ajax - eventhough they already have Sergino Dest - or Salzburg) who could convince him with early playing time so it really depends on what Couto think it's the best step for his career.

Latschenkiefer

Even in highlight videos he doesn't look that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSlpfBrNHHE

0:39 silly dribbling without benefit against three men in his own half almost loosing the ball
0:44 waiting way too long to take the cross resulting in a lucky deflection
0:51 getting fouled
0:57 normal defensive headers
1:00 good throw-in (lol), than looses the ball in his own half due to bad ball control
1:06 normal defensive duel totally covered by his CB
1:15 don't know why this is a highlight
1:24 almost looses the ball due to bad ball control, than plays it back
1:29 it's good that he can score goals, but he shot straight to the middle
1:34 silly dribbling in his own half, then the video stops, so I think he looses the ball in the end
1:39 good one-two
1:46 good control without pressure, bad bouncing pass
1:50 unnecessary half-height pass to the middle without being pressured, but good vision
1:55 good one-two without real pressure in his own half
1:59 really good tackling
2:05 really good control under pressure, but the only one in this video
2:12 don't know why this is a highlight
2:18 normal control of an easy ball without pressure
2:22 random defensive header
2:26 takes way too long for the cross and gets lucky with the deflection

2:32 music changes

2:45 normal control and back pass
2:51 good low cross
2:57 really good one-twos and run
3:04 deflected shot, gets a corner
3:08 bad attempt with his weaker foot
3:13 good, but normal and covered defensive duel on the wing
3:17 good one-two
3:26 stays in possession and opens up room, then plays a bad pass
3:33 good attempt of a one-two in his own half
3:40 good tackling
3:45 useless fancy move without pressure
3:50 video editing mistake
3:57 getting fouled
4:01 good normal passes
4:07 really good fancy move and pass
4:12 hoofing the ball out of the box without pressure
4:18 normal forward pass, good one-two attempt
4:21 really good header assist
4:25 good cross
4:31 takes the ball from a pressured opponent
4:35 good pass
4:40 nutmegging his opponent and almost loosing the ball in his own half
4:45 unnecessary chip
4:48 tries to dribble in his own half almost looses the ball but luckily gets fouled
4:55 really good tackling

5:02 yeah that's my crew, yeah that's my crew etc.

So in this highlight video I heard bad music, saw some good and some bad actions, lots of normal actions and nothing special.
good: ~12
bad: ~7
normal: ~26
special: 0

Last edited:

Messi983

Even in highlight videos he doesn't look that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSlpfBrNHHE

0:39 silly dribbling without benefit against three men in his own half almost loosing the ball
0:44 waiting way too long to take the cross resulting in a lucky deflection
0:51 getting fouled
0:57 normal defensive headers
1:00 good throw-in (lol), than looses the ball in his own half due to bad ball control
1:06 normal defensive duel totally covered by his CB
1:15 don't know why this is a highlight
1:24 almost looses the ball due to bad ball control, than plays it back
1:29 it's good that he can score goals, but he shot straight to the middle
1:34 silly dribbling in his own half, then the video stops, so I think he looses the ball in the end
1:39 good one-two
1:46 good control without pressure, bad bouncing pass
1:50 unnecessary half-height pass to the middle without being pressured, but good vision
1:55 good one-two without real pressure in his own half
1:59 really good tackling
2:05 really good control under pressure, but the only one in this video
2:12 don't know why this is a highlight
2:18 normal control of an easy ball without pressure
2:22 random defensive header
2:26 takes way too long for the cross and gets lucky with the deflection

2:32 music changes

2:45 normal control and back pass
2:51 good low cross
2:57 really good one-twos and run
3:04 deflected shot, gets a corner
3:08 bad attempt with his weaker foot
3:13 good, but normal and covered defensive duel on the wing
3:17 good one-two
3:26 stays in possession and opens up room, then plays a bad pass
3:33 good attempt of a one-two in his own half
3:40 good tackling
3:45 useless fancy move without pressure
3:50 video editing mistake
3:57 getting fouled
4:01 good normal passes
4:07 really good fancy move and pass
4:12 hoofing the ball out of the box without pressure
4:18 normal forward pass, good one-two attempt
4:21 really good header assist
4:25 good cross
4:31 takes the ball from a pressured opponent
4:35 good pass
4:40 nutmegging his opponent and almost loosing the ball in his own half
4:45 unnecessary chip
4:48 tries to dribble in his own half almost looses the ball but luckily gets fouled
4:55 really good tackling

5:02 yeah that's my crew, yeah that's my crew etc.

So in this highlight video I heard bad music, saw some good and some bad actions, lots of normal actions and nothing special.
good: ~12
bad: ~7
normal: ~26
special: 0

He's a 20 year old RB in his first true season in La Liga, what special moments do you expect from him? Messiesque dribblings or Xaviesque passes? Also, can you go through Semedo's highlight videos in his 2,5 years here and find any special moment in them?

Of course he's still a work in progress but he's developing very nicely. You've found more good than bad moves which is positive and I'd say doing "normal" things is also good for a defender.

Emerson is no Alves in his prime (and probably never will be) but no RB today is and we should stop comparing every promising young player to the legends. We should also keep in mind that while Alves also came to Europe at 20 he then developed for 6 years at Sevilla before making a jump to Barça.

We don't know if Emerson will make it here but he's cheap and if he'll continue to improve at Betis then he deserves a chance with us because none of Semedo or Roberto have shown enough to be considered an undisputable starter.

Latschenkiefer

He's a 20 year old RB in his first true season in La Liga, what special moments do you expect from him? Messiesque dribblings or Xaviesque passes? Also, can you go through Semedo's highlight videos in his 2,5 years here and find any special moment in them?

Of course he's still a work in progress but he's developing very nicely. You've found more good than bad moves which is positive and I'd say doing "normal" things is also good for a defender.

Emerson is no Alves in his prime (and probably never will be) but no RB today is and we should stop comparing every promising young player to the legends. We should also keep in mind that while Alves also came to Europe at 20 he then developed for 6 years at Sevilla before making a jump to Barça.

We don't know if Emerson will make it here but he's cheap and if he'll continue to improve at Betis then he deserves a chance with us because none of Semedo or Roberto have shown enough to be considered an undisputable starter.
Sure he is young and I'm not writing him off, but even Junior Firpo's highlight videos have been more exiting let alone Semedo's. And both of them are not good enough.

Sailor Mars

Yeah, Firpo also played for Real Betis and got quite a bit of praise for his play. He hasn't exactly lit it up for Barca yet.

How do Emerson and Firpo's last-year stats compare?

Messi983

Firpo had 3 goals and 4 assists in 24 league games last year. He missed more than 3 months with an injury.

I don't know why people have already given up on him. He's new in the team and needs to adapt which is tougher when you're a backup and don't play a lot. I think he was quite well when he got regular playing time when Alba was out. Problem with him that I've pointed out even before we've signed him is that he was used mostly as a LWB in a 3-5-2 where he had more cover defensively so he could concentrate more on attacking which is his strength. Now in 4-3-3 he needs to take a bigger defensive responsibilities which impacts his offensive production. And also playing with Griezmann (who is also new to the team and not a winger) as a LW ahead of him doesn't really help him much. I still have high hopes for Firpo (as long as he stays healthy) and think he'll prove his doubters wrong.

JohnN

Firpo had 3 goals and 4 assists in 24 league games last year. He missed more than 3 months with an injury.

I don't know why people have already given up on him. He's new in the team and needs to adapt which is tougher when you're a backup and don't play a lot. I think he was quite well when he got regular playing time when Alba was out. Problem with him that I've pointed out even before we've signed him is that he was used mostly as a LWB in a 3-5-2 where he had more cover defensively so he could concentrate more on attacking which is his strength. Now in 4-3-3 he needs to take a bigger defensive responsibilities which impacts his offensive production. And also playing with Griezmann (who is also new to the team and not a winger) as a LW ahead of him doesn't really help him much. I still have high hopes for Firpo (as long as he stays healthy) and think he'll prove his doubters wrong.

Firpo doesn't look like a world class player, that's the problem. He is ok for a sub, but we have to start getting some real high profile talents.
Currently we only have Alba, who is past his prime, as the only real WC fullback. All our other options are average. It's hard enough for players to break through with EV at the helm, much more so if they don't look so promising.

Home of Barca Fans