1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

CatalinR10

I am a fan of this and look forward to everyday’s gif.

oh stop it you :blush:

giphy.gif

Devils

Such a fucking clown.

Responsible for that goal. All the time on the ball and he kicks it out and surrenders the possession to Athletic.

Most overrated player on the planet.

EdmondDantes

He's getting a bit of a backlash after he spoke out about not getting a chance for his national team.

Neuer and now even Lehmann are chiming in.

Any German fans here? What's really being said in Germany? Is Marc disliked over there?

MTL_Barca

Any German fans here? What's really being said in Germany? Is Marc disliked over there?

First of all for Neuer and Lehmann, i don't think what they said was that bad. Neuer was very defensive about it, but that was probably mostly because during and after his long injury there was a lot of talk if he'll ever be as good as he was, if he should be replaced as well etc so that must've hurt. Otherwise from what i've seen he just said the success of the team should be the priority no matter what (like Lehmann/Kahn 2006) and i mean he has a point there.

Lehmanns quotes are mostly ok too imo, just the "if you lose 0:4 at Anfield you can't expect to play" or whatever it was is questionable.

It's not really about Neuer anyway so it's always hard to answer that, if Löw promised Marc a bigger chance (and it sounded like it) then it's understandable MAtS is kinda pissed because he last played like 30 min in March or something. But that's Löw for you.

For the general public opinion on ter Stegen, i don't think he is "hated". But my impression is that a lot of fans simply don't rate him that high. Most people don't watch Barca every week and with the NT he often looked quite bad and conceded some dumb goals here and there. On the other hand Manuel Neuer is an absolute legend so that doesn't make ot easier for ter Stegen. Idk about the recent quotes though, haven't read much but i don't think it's that big of a deal for most people.

Last edited:

EdmondDantes

Thorough reply.

Goalkeeping is a unique position where you are not likely to get that many chances. I feel Marc has felt he's deserved a crack at the #1 shirt since the World Cup at least, but washing the dirty laundry in front of the press is probably not wise.

Horatio

You're welcome
Ter Stegen has qualities that make him excellent for Barca. But pure on keeping skills Neueres might still be slightly above him(any case theyre not far apart). Then it boils down to psychological factors which are in Neuers favour: leadership, experience, chemistry.

He's getting a bit of a backlash after he spoke out about not getting a chance for his national team.

Neuer and now even Lehmann are chiming in.

No. But the only chance for a no. 1 change in the nationalteam was in 2018 after Neuer's injury. Löw decided to wait on a recovery of Neuer - and especially as he is the team captain that sets the situation. Neuer needed time after his long injury to fully get back to his previous form - but he reached this level again.

Löw seems to have promised to MaTS the chance to play in the match against Northern Ireland - but after they lost against the Netherlands they decided not to make this change.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
In a Bild poll a few days ago 55% of their readers voted for ter Stegen as the best German GK right now.

Anyway, ter Stegen only need to wait a year for when Germany inevitably gets embarrassed at the Euros with Low getting sacked and them starting the rebuild(yet again) with a new NT Coach.

I don't want to get into this Neuer vs ter Stegen thing, but the fact that Joachim Low is still there is just hilarious.

Yannik

It's 50/50. The majority of people do like to see Ter Stegen take over but many people dislike the approach he took. The issue being is that Ter Stegen apparently said nothing to the team in teh international break but started throwing Neuer and Löw under the bus as soon as he returned to Spain. Openly displaying his frustration about not being No.1 and that he's not given a chance to compete.

Neuer responded by saying
- Ter Stegen acted wrong the way he did
- that he should speak about those things with the team, not the media
- that other goalkeepers such as Leno and Trapp are also wanting to start
- and that he has been performing very good lately (which he truly did)

Then Ter Stegen came back blasting Neuers statement as unappropriate and reiterated the same points he made in the first statement.

2 big takeaways from here:
Ter Stegen is completely right by pointing out that it isn't a "competition" if only one keepers gets to play. But he was not right about the way he is trying to manipulate the team with the inclusion of the public media. The way these two keepers acted regarding this topic shows why Neuer is the captain and Germany's No 1

DonAK

It's 50/50. The majority of people do like to see Ter Stegen take over but many people dislike the approach he took. The issue being is that Ter Stegen apparently said nothing to the team in teh international break but started throwing Neuer and Löw under the bus as soon as he returned to Spain. Openly displaying his frustration about not being No.1 and that he's not given a chance to compete.

Neuer responded by saying
- Ter Stegen acted wrong the way he did
- that he should speak about those things with the team, not the media
- that other goalkeepers such as Leno and Trapp are also wanting to start
- and that he has been performing very good lately (which he truly did)

Then Ter Stegen came back blasting Neuers statement as unappropriate and reiterated the same points he made in the first statement.

2 big takeaways from here:
Ter Stegen is completely right by pointing out that it isn't a "competition" if only one keepers gets to play. But he was not right about the way he is trying to manipulate the team with the inclusion of the public media. The way these two keepers acted regarding this topic shows why Neuer is the captain and Germany's No 1

How would Neuer know if ter Stegen spoke to Joachim Low and Andreas Kopke or not?

Not saying MAtS was right to do what he did, but Neuer certainly didn't come out as the better man here diving into this little drama.

And who gives a fuck about Leno and Trapp. Even Neuer knows they have no chance at being the Germany #1.

The German NT setup and Joachim Low in particular have already proven to be an idiot communication wise when he dropped Hummels, Boateng and Muller completely from the NT, out of the blue.

Lehmann's 0-4 argument is so dumb. As if Germany didn't get kicked out of the group stages in the World Cup recently with Neuer in goal.

Last edited:

Yannik

How would Neuer know if ter Stegen spoke to Joachim Low and Andreas Kopke or not?

I mean if we assume that he did (which I'm not denying is possible), then you'd expect Neuer as the captain and the guy in question here to be not left out in this discussion. So either MAtS talked to noone and then went to the media, or he mentioned it once to Löw or Köpke but also went public before there was any chance of a dialogue between both keepers. The latter is sightly better, but still the media should be like the last resort when everything else fails and if Neuer wasn't aware of MAtS issue with him being No.1 then I don't think that point was reached yet.

Last edited:

DonAK

I mean if we assume that he did (which I'm not denying is possible), then you'd expect Neuer as the captain and the guy in question here to be not left out in this discussion. So either MAtS talked to noone and then went to the media, or he mentioned it once to Löw or Köpke but also went public before there was any chance of a dialogue between both keepers. The latter is sightly better, but still the media should be like the last resort when everything else fails and if Neuer wasn't aware of the issue then I don't think that point was reached yet.

I don't get it. Why would Neuer be consulted here or even be in the discussion? Perhaps MAtS spoke with Low and Kopke and they told him to go and kick rocks.

I agree with your point about speaking to the press though, but the German NT setup is such a mess right now that it doesn't surprise me if talks were held and Low and co. messed up yet again which led to the breaking point for ter Stegen.

Would be interesting to see what they do now though.

Will they drop ter Stegen altogether to "keep the NT harmony intact" or just move on as if nothing happened.

Home of Barca Fans