11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

BBZ8800

He'll become crucial for us

You guys are so romantic and hilarious.
Name one Barca's attacker in the last 20-30 years here who became crucial only due to his technical skills and who had zero tactical skills and zero IQ.

I'll help you: none.
So, Dembele very likely won't be the first guy ever to made it with those skills.

He will offer some goals, dribbles, flashes of brilliance.
But overall his IQ, tactical knowledge (and now even injuries) will prevent him to ever become more than a very good, talented player.

An old, injury prone, party animal, backwards-showboat-dribbler Neymar isn't a solution.
But neither is Dembele.

Even Griezmann has higher chances to became Barca's leader and a key player than these two guys.

Andresito

Staff member
You guys are so romantic and hilarious.
Name one Barca's attacker in the last 20-30 years here who became crucial only due to his technical skills and who had zero tactical skills and zero IQ.

I'll help you: none.
So, Dembele very likely won't be the first guy ever to made it with those skills.

He will offer some goals, dribbles, flashes of brilliance.
But overall his IQ, tactical knowledge (and now even injuries) will prevent him to ever become more than a very good, talented player.

An old, injury prone, party animal, backwards-showboat-dribbler Neymar isn't a solution.
But neither is Dembele.

Even Griezmann has higher chances to became Barca's leader and a key player than these two guys.

Of course it's wishful thinking and romanticizing. But one can always be optimistic, the opposite is quite boring to be honest.

A player's career doesn't have to be 100% logical, linear and according to early stats.

We have Dembélé at our disposal now, no need to be negative before he even gets a chance to play a full season under the right circumstances.

BBZ8800

Of course it's wishful thinking and romanticizing. But one can always be optimistic, the opposite is quite boring to be honest.

A player's career doesn't have to be 100% logical, linear and according to early stats.

We have Dembélé at our disposal now, no need to be negative before he even gets a chance to play a full season under the right circumstances.

You can't "cure" low IQ.
Regarding tactics, his weird movement, bad positioning, weird shooting, those things could be improved to some extent=with age, with a right attitude, with good coaches and with IQ.

Look, everything is possible in life and football, but...
People are putting too much weight on player's technical talent.
Fine, if a player doesn't have talent, he won't make it. (There will be 1 guy out of 100 who will make it with a hard work).
But we can agree that a talent is a no1 factor if you want to be a attacker or a midfielder in top clubs.
Dembele has a lot of talent.

But then, there are 10s of additional factors which will turn you into a good, very good, Barca's key player or world class (Ballon D Or candidate) level of players.
To randomly name some of those factors:
1. you need to be somewhat brave and cocky if you want to be a killer goalscorer/attacker. In general, schoolboy/shy/humble guys rarely make it as best sportsmen or the biggest rockstars in the world.
For that level, you just can't be an "average good, nice human".
You need some kind of a mixture of a leader personality, very brave personality, huge mental strength, not being too emotive or a snowflake, you need to be very motivated.
And of course, very talented.

Let's look at the examples of our attacking leaders in the last 20-30 years:
R9:
-- talent: with Messi, probably the most talented footballer in a history
-- personality: average. Not extremely cocky, but far from being shy, scared, nice schoolboy.
-- IQ: very good
-- physique: extremely good. Except injuries, which have ruined his career
So, R9 didn't have any "bugs":
Talent: check
IQ: check
Brave/leader/cocky personality: check
Physique: check

Rivaldo:
IQ: very intelligent player
Physique: average
Personality: a leader, professional. Cocky. But somewhat scared in some moments (compared to let's say Ronaldinho) and loved to fake fouls and injuries.
No huge flaws. Even though in terms of leadership ability and being mentally strong, he was "only" average in that area.

Kluivert:
IQ: very good
Physique: very good
Personality: cocky, leader, brave, motivated
His main flaw: he was missing sitters and he was hot and cold. On some days, he was able to score 5 goals. On other days, he was missing sitters left and right.
Imo, during Rivaldo-Kluivert, we missed a true leader alongside those two, for us to win CLs.
Figo was a true leader and mentally strong person and was a key man before he left. But... then he left and our team lacked something... until Ronaldinho.

Saviola:
Talent: very good
Physique: very bad
IQ: ok
Personality: meh. Not a leader, not brave. Too nice, humble, shy kid.
He had too many deadly flaws to turn into a world class footballer (weak physique and too shy personality)

Ronaldino:
Talent: an alien
IQ: very, very good
Physique: very, very good
Personality: a leader, brave, cocky, confident, never hides, never sulks. In this area, one of the best leaders in terms of quality mixed with personality which we ever had.
He turned into an absolute superstar since he had all requirements on a very high level.

Etoo:
IQ: good
Physique: very, very good
Personality: very, very brave, cocky, a leader. Never sulks. Better than Messi in that aspect. Willing to fight and argue with everyone, when needed. Always ready to die on a field and take responsibility in big moments.
His only flaw: Finishing, missing too many sitters.

Alexis:
Talent: good
IQ: NO IQ
Physique: good
Personality: not a leader for Barca's level. He was a leader for smaller teams like Arsenal and Chile. At Barca, he was too impressed with Messi and older guys and was never able to impose himself.
Which led to confidence issues, not being decisive in key moments, passing the ball instead of shooting, bad decisions, tripping over the ball etc

Neymar:
IQ: questionable. He is not dumb, but he is not willing to listen and work on his flaws (like releasing the ball earlier, play faster, play a one touch football etc)
Physique: fast, but overal weak and easy to fall down. Also, zero aerial threat.
Personality: Cocky, brave. But also an idiot, fighting with everyone and party animal.

Now, there is also Messi.
Awesome talent. But not a leader personality.
Some will get offended, but he is also one of the reasons why we are losing heavily in big away matches.
He often sulks, disappears and goes MIA in big matches or when everything is not perfect.
If Messi had Ronaldinho's bravery or CR7's personality, we would have probably won 6-7-8 CLs during his career.

Anyway, if you get my point, for being a key player at Barca, you need way more than talent.
Of course, if you don't have talent, you will never make it here.
But an insane talent alone will never be enough, unless if you have Messi's skills.
For all others, "human" attackers, they have made it here ONLY if they had more or less ALL needed skills like: talent, physique, IQ and personality.

Now, let's go back to Dembele:
Physique: very good. But he is already injured all the time.
IQ: No IQ
Personality: too shy guy (imo) to make it Barca and under this enormous pressure from papers, social media, and Millions of fans.
Since he is shy, he needs more time to relax, to gain confidence back. After a few mistakes, his confidence is going down, and he is more easily impressed by senior players and will unconsciously always pass to them instead of shooting and saying: fuck you, I will score that, I can do it.

So, imo, out of these 4 categories, Dembele already has insane flaws in: IQ and personality.
Plus, he is tactically bad (positioning, movement), his finishing is meh.
Plus, in a category of physique: he is already injured all the time and he needs Months to get back into a form and rhythm in terms of physique, not to mention how much time he will need to regain his confidence after injuries or bad form due to his shy and somewhat submissive personality.

Imo, he could turn into a playable player for Barca:
1. only if he will stay injury free
2. if he will be 120% professional and motivated
3. if he will work on his positioning, movement, chemistry with teammates and shooting
4. if Barca will have at least 2 leaders in a team like Messi, Griezmann and similar, so Dembele will be relaxed and a pressure won't be on him

Yet, some people here probably believe that we will be able to build a team around Dembele after Messi's retirement, which is imo laughable.
A player of his personality will never be a leader of any big team like Barca, Real, Bayern.
He can play here only as a supportive player. Or he can be a key player at 2nd and 3rd tier teams like Dortmund, Arsenal, Ac Milan, Roma and similar.

So, feel free to dream.
But there needs to be a dose of reality.
His talent alone doesn't mean too much for Barca's level of a club, which is a level of TOP 2-3 clubs in the world.
You need to have EVERYTHING on this level (in terms of attackers and midfielders).

In terms of bravery, being a leader, cocky, Ronaldinho was 22 years old (As Dembele) at a WC 2002.
Can you see this look in Dembele's eyes, or can you expect that bravery and leadership from Dembele?
I can't. He is miiiiiiiiles behind top players/leaders in that aspect:

* Waiting for stupid replies like: but, but, but during Pep we had schoolboys...
And I will just kill myself if someone will post that. Please, don't do it guys :lol:

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
3. if he will work on his positioning, movement, chemistry with teammates and shooting
4. if Barca will have at least 2 leaders in a team like Messi, Griezmann and similar, so Dembele will be relaxed and a pressure won't be on him
:

This is exactly why I wrote my first post lol, those things aren't impossible to happen, quite the opposite imo.

He has already proved he can play well for us. Of course he needs to improve, all young players do.
But most importantly he's been lacking consistency. Can't remember him dropping form by playing, it's when he gets injured he needs to start all over to regain his form.

serghei

Pretty good post by [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]. But shy guys with soft personalities can also make it. They just need more work and more coaching, and sometimes the elite clubs don't have neither the patience, nor the right men in charge to really guide these players and help them to develop properly.

Let's not say some personality and character types can't achieve the very top no matter what. It's just harder, and I fully agree with that. Specific circumstances matter. See De Bruyne and Salah at Chelsea vs City and Liverpool.

Last edited:

Judoman

But shy guys with soft personalities can also make it.

Like Messi the goat...

BBZ has a point, but you don t need or want 11 loud mouth alphas in Barca. That would be destructive.

What you need is the right balance. Introverts are often different people on the field and i think this goes for Dembele 2.

serghei

Like Messi the goat...

BBZ has a point, but you don t need or want 11 loud mouth alphas in Barca. That would be destructive.

What you need is the right balance. Introverts are often different people on the field and i think this goes for Dembele 2.

He has a point in that world class attacking stars usually have a bold personality. To be a true leader you kind of have to see yourself as superior to others. That kind of arrogance is an asset when it is backed with talent and good work ethic. But there are exceptions all the time.

MagIX

Y

Now, there is also Messi.
Awesome talent. But not a leader personality.
Some will get offended, but he is also one of the reasons why we are losing heavily in big away matches.
He often sulks, disappears and goes MIA in big matches or when everything is not perfect.
If Messi had Ronaldinho's bravery or CR7's personality, we would have probably won 6-7-8 CLs during his career.

I am very happy that Messi doesn't have the personality of CR.
If personality means to play for himself, getting angry at teammates for missing a pass, never thank for an assist but glorifying himself as if he'd done it all by himself, getting angry because he didn't win an individual award but his teammate (e.g. Modric or Bernardo Silva) and so on.... no thank you, and it's not even a leader personality.
If you mean personality his desire to always improve, his maniacality in physical and mental preparation, then I agree.

I agree that Messi doesn't have a leader personality, and he shouldn't be captain in NT (no problem, Pele has never been a NT captain either) and Barca.

Judoman

He has a point in that world class attacking stars usually have a bold personality. To be a true leader you kind of have to see yourself as superior to others. That kind of arrogance is an asset when it is backed with talent and good work ethic. But there are exceptions all the time.

Being an introvert doesn t mean one is not bold or arrogant. You re mixing different aspect of psychology.

And you certainly don t have to be a leader to be an awesome attacker. Also, the leader is not someone who see himself as superior. Arrogance and leadership are 2 different things.

Birdy

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]
I don't think from the evidence we have we are in a position to say that Dembele has 'low' or no tactical IQ..
Unless you can elaborate where you base your conclusion, it looks kind of arbitrary..

Potroh

Neymar:
IQ: questionable. He is not dumb, but he is not willing to listen and work on his flaws (like releasing the ball earlier, play faster, play a one touch football etc)
Physique: fast, but overal weak and easy to fall down. Also, zero aerial threat.
Personality: Cocky, brave. But also an idiot, fighting with everyone and party animal.

Just another great example of how much you DO NOT understand about this game.
This time the problem is not just your known lack of capability towards the elements of the game, but also how you try to handle the evident differences between personalities of players.

I quoted your Neymar description, because it's hilarious.
- No idea what you try to depict as "IQ", perhaps nothing according to the psychologically measurable standards. Probably it's just a fudge-factor that can be used to strengthen your agendas.
- Neymar is NOT easy to fall, actually both Messi and Suarez are worse in this regard. The difference is that no player in Europe is LESS protected by referees than Neymar is, due to his fame and provocative nature. At the same time he has been the most kicked player ever, due to his dribbling abilities.
- Neymar is good in the air (unlike Messi is) but his special talents are of course different.
- With the "party animal" adjective, you try to enter his personal sphere, that has nothing to do with the rest you mention.
- Neymar is indeed brave, it's not a good status when aggressive - and half as talented as he is - opponents try to cause him awful injuries.
- "one touch", "earlier release" and the like show clearly how much you are incapable to understand the special features of a player (and also how few PSG games you have seen recently).

Your Dembele assessment is just as sadly stupid as the Neymar one.
Probably you would be a good accountant for a 3rd grade club, but you would be HORRIBLE as a coach, as you have been just over-simplifying any human characteristics that an outstanding footballer has.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

The first three are completely achievable if he is lucky with injuries, and I don't agree that the fourth one is a must. Contrary to what you're saying, Dembele has actually proven that he can be decisive in very important moments numerous times already, he is a big game player.

BBZ8800

Pretty good post by [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]. But shy guys with soft personalities can also make it. They just need more work and more coaching, and sometimes the elite clubs don't have neither the patience, nor the right men in charge to really guide these players and help them to develop properly.

Thanks.
Ok, I agree. It is not impossible, but it is WAY HARDER.

Like Messi the goat...

This is a thing which I don't like.
People always mention Messi or Xavi as examples of shier guys who turned into a world class.

But:
Messi was the most gifted footballer ever.
So, he made it INSPITE of being shy. Not because of it.
Imagine if Messi had an average talent:
Let's say like Pedro.
So, imagine Messi with Pedro's talent, with Messi's physique, with Messi's IQ and with Messi's shy personality.
That guy would play for Celta or Valencia as a winger, not winning multiple Ballon D ors.

Further, regarding 11 alphas, there is one more thing.
Attackers, wingers in 433 and CAMs are usually guys from whom you expect "things to happen".
So, a winger is supposed to provoke things, create things, be brave for risky passes, dribbles and shots.

On the other hand, take a pivot or a RB.
Pivot's main duty (in all clubs except Barca) is to defend.
So, for a winger or a CAM, you will need to create, force and invent things all the time.
While a RB or pivot=will have to PREVENT you from doing what you (a winger) planned to do.

So, a winger or a CAM needs to be creative and proactive.
While a defensive guy needs to be a good reader and reactive.
I know, I am mixing a lot of different things in these comparisons, but to make it simple: the more attacking player you are, the more "alpha" you'll need to be.

When I talk about leaders, I am not talking only about being captains.
But about that part: we are losing 0:1 in the 80th minute and someone needs to create something.
Will you rely more on a RB and pivot to do something in crucial moments and to take the responsibility (and to be brave enough to try it 3-4 times in a row even if they'll fail), or will you rely on your key winger/Cam to take the responsibility in tough moments and to create something?

In that example, in the 80th minute of a CL's semis, when you are losing, this is again why you need:
1. a winger who is brave
2. a winger who is mentally strong
3. a winger who won't sulk when he will miss 2 shots in a row
4. a winger who won't sulk in general because we are losing and facing elimination

So, yes, I am mixing a lot of personality traits, but tbh, a lot of those traits go hand in hand.
Ronaldinho:
1. he was brave
2. he wasn't afraid to take the responsibility
3. he wasn't losing head if we were losing 0:1
4. he wasn't afraid to try again even if he made 2 errors in a row in the 88th minute
5. he was also a leader on top of all, both on a field in attack, and as a captain who can yell and motivate his teammates

Henry during his career. Didn't he have exactly the same traits mentioned above, as Ronaldinho?
Zlatan, more or less. Didn't he have exactly the same traits, more or less?
CR7, doesn't he have the same traits, plus too huge ego?

So, again imo, those traits usually come together.

Also, I tried to remember majority of top class attackers in the last 20-30 years, and I will simplify my list on:
1. very brave/leaders/somewhat cocky guys
2. normal guys
3. somewhat shy and too nice guys as persons

And this is my personal estimation of majority of top attackers in the last 30 years:
1. very brave/leaders/somewhat cocky guys/I am the best attitude: Romario, Stoichkov, Kluivert, Vieri, Henry, Trezeguet, Batistuta, Totti, Crespo, Ruud, Rooney, Ronaldinho, Etoo, Drogba, Robben, Ribery, Muller, Mandzukic, Mario Gomes, Lewandowski, Diego Costa, Neymar, Suarez, CR7, Bale, Griezmann, Firmino, Aguero
2. normal guys=Del Piero, Shevchenko, Rivaldo, Torres, Higuain
3. somewhat shy and too nice guys as persons, lacking that "cocky-leadership-I am better than you" spark= Raul, Morientes, Kaka, Owen
** This is my subjective estimation, others will rate some players differently.

But imo, the point stands that majority of attackers, Cams and wingers (as explained above=players who need to be proactive, take risks, make dribbles/assists/goals in key moments) are in the majority of cases=guys who's personality is closer to that dominant/leadership/somewhat cocky side.

Ok, there were some shy and nice guys on this list like Kaka, Raul and Owen.
But then, none of them had low IQ and all of them were 120% professionals, totally devoted to sport and a healthy lives.
In the case of Dembele: his personality is more like a shy personality. He isn't too brightest. And has issues in terms of being motivated and professional.

True.
But imo, those exceptions are rare (those introverts and too shy guys who have made it as top attackers).
And plus, with those shy guys, they were very good in all other areas like IQ, physique, being injury free, being professionals.

Being an introvert doesn t mean one is not bold or arrogant. You re mixing different aspect of psychology.

And you certainly don t have to be a leader to be an awesome attacker. Also, the leader is not someone who see himself as superior. Arrogance and leadership are 2 different things.

As explained above, majority of those traits usually come together.
Also, one more thing, I have been talking about that a lot of times: guys who have started to follow Barca during Pep are not seeing the real picture.
Our team from that era was a unique football team.
And I would dare to say: the nicest team ever, with the most humble, shy and introvert guys.
But, that worked (ONLY) because we had Messi and Xavi.
Imagine Pep's Barca with Aguero instead of Messi and with Gundogan/David Silva instead of Messi.
Do you think that they would win 6 titles in one season? Lol, I don't.

So, eternal replies how: Messi is shy and how Xavi is shy. Well, Messi was the most talented footballer ever and he made it INSPITE of being shy.
Xavi was an exorcist, the programmer, Mr TikiTaka himself, a guy who could have predicted 5-6 moves in the future.
So, imo, instead of focusing on Pep's Barca in terms of mental and personality traits, maybe we should look at a larger sample of successful teams and players in the last 20, 30 or 50 years.

Also, I can't put my finger just on one trait.
It is a mixture of personality traits.
But it is somewhat easy to spot it: who "has" it and who doesn't. By the way how they play, how they make decisions, how they react in tough situations, through their body language and even through their celebrations where you can sense some cockiness, bravery, confidence, attitude, passion. I personally don't see too much of that in Dembele's plays, moves, gestures and body language.

Here are some examples:
Totti and his goals and celebrations. You can see a mixture of bravery, motivation, passion, confidence, cockiness, confident body language. Paired with an insane talent, of course.

Batistuta's hattrick vs Milan.
Take a look at his world class goals, cocky celebrations, confident look in his eyes, his body language. And also take a look at his 3rd goal.
When you are as confident as Batigol, you can attempt such a crazy free kick and not care too much whether you will kill somebody with your shot.
This is not a joke. He could have seriously killed someone with that shot, lol.

Or Ruud and his cocky revenge vs Andorra:

Again, top attackers are imo similar to rockstars.
Those are not normal people.
You need to be one of a kind.
You need to be extremely talented, but also brave. And have skills to entertain millions of people. And don't react to fouls, insults, whistles, provocations, bad referees.
When you work in the office, it is perfectly fine to be a normal or a shy guy.
But for being Barca's attacker and if you want to lead your team to a CL glory, in majority of cases, you will need a special personality, extremely motivated, passionate, brave, extremely confident, proactive.

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]
I don't think from the evidence we have we are in a position to say that Dembele has 'low' or no tactical IQ..
Unless you can elaborate where you base your conclusion, it looks kind of arbitrary..

I am an amateur.
I love to watch random people everywhere around me in random every day situations and analyze their body language, reactions, IQ, calmness in tricky situations etc.
From what we have seen in the last 2 years from Dembele in interviews, on field, with some injuries, unprofessional behavior, body language, my personal estimation is that he is among players with the lowest IQ in our team.
One of the most talented players in a team, and one of players with the lowest IQ.

Home of Barca Fans