10 - Lionel Messi - V6

ebc_99

I've said for years that his legacy has been ruined and it's mainly not through fault of his own, although he isn't blameless.

His legacy has not been ruined, at 32 he is still the best player in the world and by quite a distance. I can't think of any player who has been at his level at that age. Maradona was finished at the top level at 32 and was playing for Newell's Old Boys in Argentina having already served an 18 month ban for drug offences, then he got banned for another year after the World Cup in 1994 at the age of 33. If his legacy is not ruined, how in the hell has Messi's been?

He backed valverde and wants to play with his subpar friends, That's directly on him.

All players back their manager, only on Barcaforum is a player criticised for not stabbing his manager in the back to the media, unbelievable.

ebc_99

Messi has been to 4 international finals with Argentina. His defense kept him a clean sheet for at least 90 minutes in the last 3 of those 4 finals.

Messi couldn't score or create a single goal in any of those major finals to deliver his country an international trophy. After carrying Argentina through the group stage in 2014, he got carried by his defense through the knockout rounds to the final. His missed the first penalty in the shootout in '16.

The lad had his opportunities, had his help and couldn't produce when it matters. A GOAT does not go into hiding in an international final 4 consecutive times.

Excuses. Managers. Higuain. Midfield.

The facts:

- 4 finals
- 0 G + 0 A

Phenomenal player, all-time best talent, but I have no sympathy for the way Leo's international career has played out.

No player has the perfect career, Maradona never won the European Cup and only won 3 league titles, Zidane also only won 3 league titles and 1 Champions League even though he played for Juve & Real Madrid for 10 years and was marked out of the 97 & 98 Finals. Baggio never won the Champions League and only had 1 League title his entire career, Ronaldo Luis only won 2 League titles in his career and never won the Champions League, Platini only won 3 League titles and 1 European Cup.

It is not about winning loads of trophies, it never has been, it is about how you play. And nobody has ever played football better than Messi. And at 32, he clearly is in physical decline as all players are at that age, but every other facet of his game is exceptional, better than ever.

So he has yet to win at International level, so what, Cruyff didn't either, it is the way it goes. It doesn't take away a thing from him as a player just like it doesn't take away from Maradona that apart from 1986 he was underwhelming for his country, or Ronaldo Luis never dominated the Champions League or Zidane only once had an exceptional league campaign (2000/01 in Serie A). Some people here think all other great players were perfect and Messi is the only one with flaws when the truth is that Messi is the least flawed player that there has ever been, and I would take him over any other.

Arizona Scott

The drama is so thick in here and non-human expectactions are wack. barca is so lucky to have him as is argentina. without him half of what 20+ trophies barca earned the last 12 years would have vanished nd argentina wouldn't get to group stages let alone finals. he is one man in 20 something squads and managing staff.

absurd and entitled sentiments and assessments througout.

Tackle

No player has the perfect career, Maradona never won the European Cup and only won 3 league titles, Zidane also only won 3 league titles and 1 Champions League even though he played for Juve & Real Madrid for 10 years and was marked out of the 97 & 98 Finals. Baggio never won the Champions League and only had 1 League title his entire career, Ronaldo Luis only won 2 League titles in his career and never won the Champions League, Platini only won 3 League titles and 1 European Cup.

It is not about winning loads of trophies, it never has been, it is about how you play. And nobody has ever played football better than Messi. And at 32, he clearly is in physical decline as all players are at that age, but every other facet of his game is exceptional, better than ever.

So he has yet to win at International level, so what, Cruyff didn't either, it is the way it goes. It doesn't take away a thing from him as a player just like it doesn't take away from Maradona that apart from 1986 he was underwhelming for his country, or Ronaldo Luis never dominated the Champions League or Zidane only once had an exceptional league campaign (2000/01 in Serie A). Some people here think all other great players were perfect and Messi is the only one with flaws when the truth is that Messi is the least flawed player that there has ever been, and I would take him over any other.

Agreed on all fronts.

His record in international finals is still abysmal though and I expected better from him. That is a fair critique and is something that comes into play when assessing his legacy as a whole.

The failures of the players you just brought up should be taken into account by any credible football historian. I am all for applying these standards consistently across the board. Even the best players and careers have had shortcomings and flaws. It is absolutely fair to discuss these aspects of an all-time great's career.

Messi is probably the least flawed player in history, but that is simply not a good argument to dismiss the few negatives that remain.

He is the most talented and most consistent player in history, but I despise the double standard of giving him all the credit for team success only to absolve him of all wrongdoing in team and personal failures when the team is completely built around him.

Leo being as good as he is does not exempt him from being criticized.

Would Argentina have made all those finals without Messi? Of course not. That is an absurd arguement that nobody is making. Complete bollocks, but an easy way to strawman the argument of "we're so lucky to have him so keep your mouth shut," like that Arizona twat is attempting to do.

Last edited:

Ritchie

He backed valverde and wants to play with his subpar friends, That's directly on him.

As I said not blameless, but even if he won the next 3 Champions Leagues he'd still have Argentina thrown in his face for not winning a senior trophy. Those 3 finals really fucked him.

Ritchie

The reality is though when people talk about the all time great they expect you to either won and dominated a World Cup (Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Zidane, Bobby Charlton, Beckenbaur) or at least dominated it and got close (Puskas, Cruyff, Zico, Baggio). Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo haven't really showed up at a World Cup, not in the knockout rounds and Messi's Copa America final failures only compound it.

It's why players like George Best and Di Stefano don't tend to be in the reckoning for the GOAT, even though they were better players than Zidane for example.

It's like the way now that you can't really win a Ballon D'or without winning the CL, historically it's you can't be the best without winning the World Cup. I'm not saying it's right but it's still the perception.

If Messi had chose Spain over Argentina then he probably would have had the perfect career and be the undisputed GOAT. Now people are still more likely to say Maradona because of 1986 and what he achieved at Napoli, or even Pele.

Last edited:

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
His legacy has not been ruined, at 32 he is still the best player in the world and by quite a distance. I can't think of any player who has been at his level at that age. Maradona was finished at the top level at 32 and was playing for Newell's Old Boys in Argentina having already served an 18 month ban for drug offences, then he got banned for another year after the World Cup in 1994 at the age of 33. If his legacy is not ruined, how in the hell has Messi's been?

All players back their manager, only on Barcaforum is a player criticised for not stabbing his manager in the back to the media, unbelievable.

Cause that's what I said retard? He could of said what pique said for example or stayed silent like they did with lucho. Here Suarez Messi and co all backed him because of obvious reasons. Even if he did back him in public internally there should have been genuine discussions about Valverde etc. Messi's opinion has a very high weighting in barca...
And FYI no, not all players back their managers.

As I said not blameless, but even if he won the next 3 Champions Leagues he'd still have Argentina thrown in his face for not winning a senior trophy. Those 3 finals really fucked him.

Cliched but Haters gona hate and will always attack him for what ever reason legitimate or otherwise. On the other spectrum you have those who worship him and he is seen as an infallible and perfect being. Both proponents are cancerous retards so for you sanity you should ignore them.

Last edited:

Don Andrésº8

He's won Barca the last two titles at a canter and would have probably won the treble last year if his team mates had scored just one of the chances he set up on a plate at Anfield after bossing the first leg (and the quarter final tie). In fact if Dembele put away the chance in the first leg he set up at the end then the tie is done. This despite being in a mediocre team with a dog of a manager.

Imagine what he could still do in a good team, even without running himself into the ground.

you guys still cant understand why liverpool won the champions can you? liverpool is much better team than barcelona right now, and messi individually is the best ever but he makes his team worse when Barca dont have the ball, he won the la liga cause the others were weak as fuk, lets see next year if he can win walking like he is walking in copa america, or like i saw him walking all season without the ball, you and the guy above you still cant understand what football is about, he is playing like if he had 38 years old...he only have 32 still very young to walking in the pitch like if he was a fuking grandpa...he lost that fire he had and i think that is normal cause he already won everything he could, the hardest thing is to stay on the top rather than reach it, he is on top cause of genius but his attitude lately is like if he already feels tired about football, you can see his body expression in the field, he is tired of football

eaman

you guys still cant understand why liverpool won the champions can you? liverpool is much better team than barcelona right now, and messi individually is the best ever but he makes his team worse when Barca dont have the ball, he won the la liga cause the others were weak as fuk, lets see next year if he can win walking like he is walking in copa america, or like i saw him walking all season without the ball, you and the guy above you still cant understand what football is about, he is playing like if he had 38 years old...he only have 32 still very young to walking in the pitch like if he was a fuking grandpa...he lost that fire he had and i think that is normal cause he already won everything he could, the hardest thing is to stay on the top rather than reach it, he is on top cause of genius but his attitude lately is like if he already feels tired about football, you can see his body expression in the field, he is tired of football

Absolute rubbish. He still has massive hunger to win things. I'm really sick of this walking rubbish people constantly go on about. Yes he walks alot but he also presses and makes runs at times and has been doing plenty of it in this copa.ronaldo and salah also do plenty of walking and running when the ball gets near them. Messi might make less runs but that's because he is better at receiving the ball with his back to goal and creating which is why you see him do it more and make less runs as a consequence

Arizona Scott

..."we're so lucky to have him so keep your mouth shut," like that Arizona twat is attempting to do.
Twats are saying absurd things like this:

“his legacy has been ruined”

“maybe he is lazy” “slacking off” “pisses me off about Messi”
“winning the CL with Kroos and Modric is easier than winning it with Xavi and Iniesta” From 2015 on when they started winning it absolutely would be easier with Kroos and Modric supporting you, you really think not? :lol:
....If Messi had chose Spain over Argentina then he probably would have had the perfect career and be the undisputed GOAT. Now people are still more likely to say Maradona because of 1986 and what he achieved at Napoli, or even Pele.
And that is fine, folks have a right to their opinion, plus there is really no way to solve the "best ever" you have players two, three or six decades apart. I am not making the case he is the best ever. I am making the case FC Barcelona is incredibly lucky to have him from his 1st year to the present year. He has been the best player this generation by a mile and the three trebles and trophies show it. Yes I would find it incredibly lame for Barca fans to complain about Messi or Iniesta or Puyol or Xavi. Perfect players, no, question their heart or commitment to the club--easy for someone at 10,000 feet and never put in a drop of blood for the club and I think incredibly lame.

Excellent post! Humans in a 20+ man squad sport, not gods and all have flaws.

Have captains ever publicly condemned their manager? Genuinely curious if it has happened, or whether it is maybe one or two times throughout the last few decades. Yet Messi is getting the blame for keeping Valverde?

Of course it is nuts, you have a board and a sporting director—that’s their jobs not a player no matter how good he is. We would never even know what his private feelings are and if he communicated mixed messages to powers that be—of course publicly you are going to do the best you can with what you can control and give a uniform message even if it really isn’t behind the scenes. As if he is obligated to give some fans what they want to hear about inferior teammates and managing. Further even if in his highly biased opinion formed from working with these guys days on out and years, he might even truly think Valverde and Busi and Coutinho and Rakitic are the right pieces (again none of us know), but even if he does think this it is others people's jobs to be good at assessing these things and to make player and manager personnel decisions.

^(Alik) add he won the UEFA Cup (today europa league) with Napoli.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." Michael Jordan

Messi and Maradona are considered 2 of the abosolutely best ever for the magic they did on the pitch, not for whant they won with the team. Soccer is a team sport.
Both had fantastic performances and horrible performances, they are not gods but human.
Another top one—from about the clearest GOAT in a team sport, albeit a sport of where you are one of 5 instead of one of 11 and thus can have a much greater impact as an individual.
This is what we conclude after Messi had one of the best seasons in his career?! So you morons want him to be Messi but also Ronaldo, at the same time.

Does he have to prove something after all that he did for Barcelona? Of course not, you ungrateful idiots! The guy hits the final stretch of his career and you want him to behave as a 20 year old.

He could do a Ronaldo and just not play until March, pick up the pace then and we'll see how that goes. Don't think it will ever happen, but if there are still moaning bitches that want him to run more...

Yes thank you
It certaintly has to do with managers.

Managers Messi worked with :

Ernesto Valverde
Luis Enrique
Gerardo Martino
Tito Vilanova
Jordi Roura
Pep Guardiola
Frank Rijkaard

Now let's look at the managers CR7 worked with :

Massimiliano Allegri
Zinédine Zidane
Rafael Benítez
Carlo Ancelotti
José Mourinho
Manuel Pellegrini
Sir Alex Ferguson

I dont even have to say anything at this point , just speaks for itself.

Wow very revealing indeed!

Ok, it's finally clear: Messi is THE PROBLEM of Barcelona.
We'd have sold him years ago if we'd figured it out sooner :banghead:
Share the sentiment, some likely missed the sarcasm.

BTW I am not against analyses Messi strengths and weaknesses and talking through roster changes and scheme changes to improve the team. But the idea we just have to push him harder or could have done better building around another individual, last year or the last 12, or that Argentina could have, pure nuts. The ungrateful part is not adequately reflecting on the fact FC Barcelona has been the dominant club in the world since he emerged and gone through their best period by far in club history. 29 major trophies for FC Barcelona, where in most cases he was the chief single individual responsible for it. Stack that with any player in any clubs history, and then consider we have a few more and he just had a fabulous one.

Last edited:

Ritchie

Take Messi out and Liverpool would have beat Barca home and away. It wouldn't have been close.

kadeng

+100

Arizona Scott

you guys still cant understand why liverpool won the champions can you? liverpool is much better team than barcelona right now, and messi individually is the best ever but he makes his team worse when Barca dont have the ball

Agree with this part. Liverpool was a better than than Barca last year. The only reason Barca was (solidly) 3rd best in Europe last year was because of Messi. Even though Liverpool was a better team, Barca almost went through because of him.

Here are some defensive stats for Liverpool to put things in perspective:

Total goals conceded in 7 knockout matches, 5. Two of these were scored by Messi & two he was not involved with.

Maximum number of goals conceded in 51 league and CL matches by Liverpool (group/Knockout), three. Once by Barca; once by Crystal Palace (go figure).

Number of times Liverpool conceded 1 or fewer goals in those 51 matches, 45.

.... but he makes his team worse when Barca dont have the ball
This is probably true if you compared the Barca defense to if you replaced Messi with one of the few forwards who works hard and well off the ball. However the same applies (team worse defensively) with CR, Aguero, Lewandoski, Zlatan--or if you go back to Maradona or most any of the great strikers. The bottom line is 10 field players and good tactics should easily be able to make up for one weaker defensive player. Shaqiri/Sturridge was on the field for Liverpool after all, and Klopp loved Coutinho, all worse defenders than Messi. But they have a team concept, collectively have pace, and other guys know and do their roles with vigor and confidence.

In short I strongly believe Barcelona would be better with 1) a team with better off the ball coverage, pace and pressure from the OTHER 10 players + a midfield that moves better and controls possession better (so Messi rarely to never has to expend energy just to relieve pressure in our own half) than alternately, 2) somehow try to squeeze more defensive coverage, pressing and 90 minute all over the pitch intensity out of one Lionel Messi. I recognize this is an opinion to believe #1 is a more viable and winning strategy than trying #2.

kattanib

Maradona was a genius in the field yet he seems to have a poor IQ. Don’t be surprised if Messi is of the same soil

Home of Barca Fans