Copa 22/23

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
In the end RFEF's proposal to change the format of Copa del Rey and the Spanish Super Cup was approved. I don't care about the Super Cup but the changes made to the Copa are not to our advantage, I believe.

It is going from a two-legged to a single game with the exception of the semi-finals, which means (1) instead of fielding youngsters and B team players to play the away leg we will field some starters to ensure victory in the only game against those easier opponents; against tougher opponents the chances of getting eliminated increase a lot so it will be tougher to win the Copa in the future and (2) financially the clubs will take a blow when it comes to the match day revenue since we will be losing some of those home games that we hosted in the past (I suppose it will be up to a draw to decide which club/venue will host the games like the DFB Pokal).

Vilarrubi

In the end RFEF's proposal to change the format of Copa del Rey and the Spanish Super Cup was approved. I don't care about the Super Cup but the changes made to the Copa are not to our advantage, I believe.

It is going from a two-legged to a single game with the exception of the semi-finals, which means (1) instead of fielding youngsters and B team players to play the away leg we will field some starters to ensure victory in the only game against those easier opponents; against tougher opponents the chances of getting eliminated increase a lot so it will be tougher to win the Copa in the future and (2) financially the clubs will take a blow when it comes to the match day revenue since we will be losing some of those home games that we hosted in the past (I suppose it will be up to a draw to decide which club/venue will host the games like the DFB Pokal).

We don't enter the competition until the round of 32.. and still think we will play some B team and bench players in that even with the new rules. That only leaves Round of 16 and Quarters where there will be only one leg as you said not really any opportunity for B team players to play if it's single leg knockout which I agree is a step backwards and bigger likelihood of having a shock result and getting knocked out (I personally don't care for CDR at this point, 4 in the last 4 years potentially 5 lol)

About the financial part.. it's only 3 games less than previously, Round of 32, Round of 16 and Quarters with only one leg. It's a drop in the ocean in terms of revenue... but you'll find the new Super Cup layout will compensate for that because it's teams like Barca, Atletico, Real, Valencia etc who will be taking part.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Supercopa would be played in Saudi Arabia, plus looks like 3rd place RM will be thrown a lifeline and participate in the semifinals since Barcelona has won the Primera and is in the Copa finals

Whoring themselves out for more money, incomprehensible really - worse than the Miami idea since this will occur in January during the season

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We don't enter the competition until the round of 32.. and still think we will play some B team and bench players in that even with the new rules. That only leaves Round of 16 and Quarters where there will be only one leg as you said not really any opportunity for B team players to play if it's single leg knockout which I agree is a step backwards and bigger likelihood of having a shock result and getting knocked out (I personally don't care for CDR at this point, 4 in the last 4 years potentially 5 lol)

About the financial part.. it's only 3 games less than previously, Round of 32, Round of 16 and Quarters with only one leg. It's a drop in the ocean in terms of revenue... but you'll find the new Super Cup layout will compensate for that because it's teams like Barca, Atletico, Real, Valencia etc who will be taking part.

I forgot to mention the other drawback is that by fielding starters in those knockout games it might negatively impact our league and possibly even CL games since we will probably be throwing everything to ensure we win those Copa games.

As much as we fans don’t care about Copa I think the club would still want to win it.

Overall I don’t like the changes.

Vilarrubi

I forgot to mention the other drawback is that by fielding starters in those knockout games it might negatively impact our league and possibly even CL games since we will probably be throwing everything to ensure we win those Copa games.

As much as we fans don’t care about Copa I think the club would still want to win it.

Overall I don’t like the changes.

Yeah I agree. I also didn't realise the Super Cup will now be in January..... fucking stupid.

LMTR14

:angry:these changes are absolute fucking nonsense. some 100 years of tradition (as far as I can tell by skimming the wikipedia article) thrown away for commercial interests. and of course the supercup in islamist countries should be outright boycotted. whoever came up with that bullshit should be shot

khaled_a_d

Initially I was mad at it, but with more thought I don't think it is that bad.
CDR: 3 less games, that isn't a commercial reason. Players need more rest. Also since 2008 the competition is no more for small clubs. Barca,RM,AM,Sevilla have been top 4 clubs in Spain through past decade and they have won all CDR titles during 10 years span, could be extended to 11 years. Not fair to smaller clubs anymore.

SuperCup: Meaningless competition that has been commercialized in many other places, Italy has been playing it abroad for sometime. Initially it was 2 games, now it will 4 teams with 3 games with each team playing 1 or 2 teams.
Traditionally it isn't good look, but clubs need revenue and this is small adjustment

serghei

What these changes do best is deprive a poor bastard from the likes of Cultural Leonesa of the amazing experience of playing an official match on Camp Nou, and then sharing this memory with their future grandkids.

Zidane82

Couldn’t care less other than I’d rather we lose if winning apparently saves Valverde’s neck for another 12 months

weloveyuner

Well, some of us still support the team and want to watch the remaining games. Is it at 20:00 or 21:00? Does anybody in Spain know?

serghei

Don't know about you guys but a domestic double doesn't happen too often.

To rule in Spanish football like that is hard.

Home of Barca Fans