Ernesto Valverde - V1

Trickykid

Really? Do you think there's a non-hypothetical way to compare Valverde with Setien and arrive at the conclusion that Valverde is better? I'd like to hear it.

As I said, there's no point in comparing them in clubs they have never coached, which is why why should be compared now. Setien won the first bout, EV learned from it and humbled him in the second. Pretty simple, really.

Havesaks

Really? Do you think there's a non-hypothetical way to compare Valverde with Setien and arrive at the conclusion that Valverde is better? I'd like to hear it.

We dont need to compare them, because EV is our coach, and he does damn good job. When he doesnt you can talk about alternatives. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

serghei

As I said, there's no point in comparing them in clubs they have never coached, which is why why should be compared now. Setien won the first bout, EV learned from it and humbled him in the second. Pretty simple, really.

Far from simple. Barcelona managed by Valverde schooled Betis managed by Setien. This doesn't translate to some sort of superiority of Valverde over Setien in terms of management skills.

George_Costanza

We dont need to compare them, because EV is our coach, and he does damn good job. When he doesnt you can talk about alternatives. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

How can we know he does "damn" good job? After all this Barcelona won the double coached by Jordi Roura playing even better football!

When we do an assessment it's against a set of standards, isn't it? What're your criteria for a successful manager and leader of Barcelona?

Pepe Silvia

I thought EV subs were good this time. Arthur had some brain farts and needed to be pulled. That kind of thing will allow Arthur to work harder (that's his character) and make improvements. I commend EV on that one.

Trickykid

Far from simple. Barcelona managed by Valverde schooled Betis managed by Setien. This doesn't translate to some sort of superiority of Valverde over Setien in terms of management skills.

In that one game it obviously did. And if you actually read my original post, you'd see I only referred to that one alone.

Havesaks

How can we know he does "damn" good job? After all this Barcelona won the double coached by Jordi Roura playing even better football!

When we do an assessment it's against a set of standards, isn't it? What're your criteria for a successful manager and leader of Barcelona?

Coached by Roura, created by Pep. In Tito(Roura) and Tata years, we just played with a team created by Pep where the system already was drilled into our players, and the players were basically the same. We didnt evovle at all, and all tho it was enough to win domestically, we did pay the price vs big teams. So im basically saying, im fine how tito/roura did it, but the groundwork was done by pep, and they really didnt do anything special.

It depends.Tito/Roura were successful enough, but lets say Valverde only won league first year, i would still consider him more successful and impressive ( to Tito/rouras double) because of the circumstances he had to operate under.
Tito/roura never got the chance to prove themselves (all though they kinda did vs big teams and failed miserably changing tactics), but it was the easy but still right choice to continue Peps work.

What Valverde has accomplished is far beyond that. Our second best player and vital for our formation and tactics, backstabbed the club after pre-season. Valverde needed therefore to completely change his tactics. And introduced 4-4-2 distancing us from both ATM and Real and finally winning la liga and Copa del rey. We also had a lot of bad media talk in that first half year, where his personality did great work to not let it affect the team. What he did accomplish in his first year is so underrated, its crazy, just because of a bad levante-game and especially roma-game. He did an amazing job. Now in his second year, he again is top of the leauge and cdr finale - found a way to make the team competitive with 4-3-3 and a lot of old players. This squad was and is WC and terms of talent but in terms of composition (how well they work togehter) its actually pretty bad, the players dont fit/fitted each other that well (age, type, etc.) and Valverde has found a system/systems to make our WC player work as a team and is in the making of winning us the double/treble.

I dont really have a specific general creteria(s). It always depends on the circumstances.

serghei

We're going through a pretty good period. A shame it is interrupted by this NT break. I hope we get back in shape, without injuries, because the team si gunning for the treble this year. With this advantage in La Liga we have to prioritize CL.

KingLeo10

We're going through a pretty good period. A shame it is interrupted by this NT break. I hope we get back in shape, without injuries, because the team si gunning for the treble this year. With this advantage in La Liga we have to prioritize CL.

tenor.gif

Home of Barca Fans