Ernesto Valverde - V1

God Serena

Even if he wins the treble, is it worth it to continue being shit for the next couple of seasons after? Zidane took Real Madrid to three CL trophies in a row but we have to endure two-three seasons of shit play as a price for winning it once. This is exactly what happened with Lucho, we had one very good year that included us walking to the treble, but for the most part we were terrible after that and crashed and burned out of the CL immediately after.

xXKonan

This team clearly is capable of playing good football as we have seen in the first half yesterday.

But Valverde insistence of deciding to park the bus after we even get a meager 1 or 2 goal lead will probably fuck us in the CL again. When we clearly have the momentum that we can go on and score more He just takes a baseball bat and destroys it.

Thankfully Messi scored the third goal to help get the swing things back because that period we had we would have probably been screwed by a much more clinical team such as City or Liverpool if we did that in a match against them.

Total-Football

Even if he wins the treble, is it worth it to continue being shit for the next couple of seasons after? Zidane took Real Madrid to three CL trophies in a row but we have to endure two-three seasons of shit play as a price for winning it once. This is exactly what happened with Lucho, we had one very good year that included us walking to the treble, but for the most part we were terrible after that and crashed and burned out of the CL immediately after.
the way things stand we absolutely have no chance winning the CL. Our dicks are not hard enough for it like liverpool or city and to a lesser degree juventus. I am just hoping the english teams drop in form like they usually do towards the end of season.

Total-Football

Double First year despite ney-gate. Potential treble in 2nd year despite aging core. Goat manager
this is barca. Consequential criterion is not more signnificant than categorical criterion. the beautiful football is appreciated as much as the results or we would have been fans of chealsea or real madrid.

Havesaks

this is barca. Consequential criterion is not more signnificant than categorical criterion. the beautiful football is appreciated as much as the results or we would have been fans of chealsea or real madrid.

Problem is he isnt bashed that much for playing ugly football, but taking bad tactical decisions... and we just won a double after ney-gate (huge blow), losing iniesta and mascherano, and have a good chance to win a treble this year. The club is in a place right now with an aging core (messi, alba, sergio, raktic, pique, Suarez) , ney-gate and lost Xavi-ini-masch. The club is in the middle of a genereation switch and in this time its maybe okay to have a more pragmatic and defensive approach, so we are still relevant and considered as one of the best clubs in the world.

Valverde switching from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 is prove, that he wants to play barca-like football, but he also wants the team to win trophies. I think next season we will play even more like barca. for now he has done a great job (roma match aside), and from next season he has to integrate the younger players even more and play even more beautiful, just like he has done it this season. Only time will tell if he can play beautiful football (he has the players now for that) and get result at the same time, but if he can, I can actually see him be here for a long period.

Toecrusher

Something I wrote a few years back, thought it apt to bring it up now in the midst of our Valverde-induced coma.

"For every other club in the world, playing ethereal football is an ambition…but only for FC Barcelona is it an unconditional responsibility. We are, always have been, and always will be, the purest expression of what is the most precious in football. Come Chelsea this Wednesday, or anybody on any day, we will not park the bus in front of goal in shame...we will bring along a Ferrari and take it and the rest of the world for a spin. It may cost us the game, but for a club whose motto is “more than just a football club”, playing for “more than just the titles” is, and will forever remain, the Barca way…for the ultimate victory is not measured by the trophies in your cupboard, it is measured by a future in which when you will struggle to remember who won which Champions League in which year, you won't be able to forget how Barcelona did what they did back then…"

To all those who wonder how why EV gets the hate when he's won the double, this is it. Barca means something, it stands for something, it is different. Take your doubles and enjoy your time supporting Juve, Madrid, Bayern or any of those other clubs who have no identity beyond winning. There is nothing wrong with that and it is great for those clubs, but that is not Barca. For as Tito once said, "We may have our faults, but being cowards will never be one of them". How times have changed...

Gnidrologist

I agree with this almost metaphysical approach to Barca and it's football. I became a fan solely because of this overwhelming awe of how Barca always tries to play even when failing. But returning to more pragmatic reasoning, which at this time, with aging squad and losing once legendary players one by one, i think Valverde has SOME useful qualities. I imagine that with more adventurous and super ambitious coach current team could collapse like were already signs under Lucho with 0:4 and 0:3 loses away n CL to not so great teams. Currently we are sort of reforming, young inexperienced blood infusing and the old one getting weaker day by day. Maybe the proverbial 'balance' is really needed at this point and even though i still think some of the V's decisions are retarded, he sort of glues this old shit with new shit together in a way that makes this team competitive in all fronts. I just hope that, if he says, he is able to take more proactive approach as we are getting more young and dynamic players in. I will be devastated, if we continue to play this current static keepball with likes of Arthur, De Jong, Dembele and hopefully, more hungry Suarez replacement in the next season. I can get that we play slow, because triangles and constant pressing throughout the game just wont fly with our granpas, but i've strong suspicion that Valdo will play the same shit tactics with rejuvinated squad too. Let's hope i'm wrong and he is actually flexible or/and is a learning creature.

El Gato

Villarato!
Lol the usual tripe of “we have our way of winning” vs “we don’t care how we win”. Dogmas. Yuck, I’ll pass. Most reasonable people will.

Zidane82

I agree with this almost metaphysical approach to Barca and it's football. I became a fan solely because of this overwhelming awe of how Barca always tries to play even when failing. But returning to more pragmatic reasoning, which at this time, with aging squad and losing once legendary players one by one, i think Valverde has SOME useful qualities. I imagine that with more adventurous and super ambitious coach current team could collapse like were already signs under Lucho with 0:4 and 0:3 loses away n CL to not so great teams. Currently we are sort of reforming, young inexperienced blood infusing and the old one getting weaker day by day. Maybe the proverbial 'balance' is really needed at this point and even though i still think some of the V's decisions are retarded, he sort of glues this old shit with new shit together in a way that makes this team competitive in all fronts. I just hope that, if he says, he is able to take more proactive approach as we are getting more young and dynamic players in. I will be devastated, if we continue to play this current static keepball with likes of Arthur, De Jong, Dembele and hopefully, more hungry Suarez replacement in the next season. I can get that we play slow, because triangles and constant pressing throughout the game just wont fly with our granpas, but i've strong suspicion that Valdo will play the same shit tactics with rejuvinated squad too. Let's hope i'm wrong and he is actually flexible or/and is a learning creature.

It’s just so frustrating to see that he simply doesn’t learn ... Roberto at RB when he’s clearly a liability and Samedo does better and better each game .. he persists with playing Raki every game however ineffective he is . Malcom HAD a great game weeks back but he’s been discarded again since !?!?

Gnidrologist

Yeah, those are the decisions that makes him look like a one trick drone. It's hard to believe that he is so daft. Like not playing Dembele and Semedo on the right, when they have proven time and time again to be super effective there only because he needs to accommodate some silly robust formula he thinks should work. Really. weird guy. I don't believe he's outright dumb, but his bullheaded stubbornness to apply the same ineffective solutions in the sane situations, where they didn't work before seems almost like old man dementia.

Zidane82

Yeah, those are the decisions that makes him look like a one trick drone. It's hard to believe that he is so daft. Like not playing Dembele and Semedo on the right, when they have proven time and time again to be super effective there only because he needs to accommodate some silly robust formula he thinks should work. Really. weird guy. I don't believe he's outright dumb, but his bullheaded stubbornness to apply the same ineffective solutions in the sane situations, where they didn't work before seems almost like old man dementia.

I think it’s just that Messi is basically getting the wins which are in spite of Valverde’s tactics and team selections...

Messigician

Because Messi plays on the right... so if you want to play 433 that's the only choice

Home of Barca Fans