Premier League 2018/19

Who will win the league?

• Total voters

vlad

bad result for Sarri and co, but where were these intellectuals when Chelsea beat City 2-0 :thinking:
...oh that's right, hating on pep in the other thread :lol:

there really are some miserable blokes on this forum man, they just want to see everyone fail

"bad result"

:D

Who want sarri here after this

henias

Can't wait to see the excuses when Pep loses to Klopp with a better team and a rejuvenated Chelsea side . Chelsea was too much for pep to handle when conte had ideas and imagine what Serri can do to the one dimensional football of Pep . Last season city didn't had any contender in League , especially their midfield was on full swing . Now they have a injured Dm , Toure left , couldn't sign Jorgi . Those who doesn't give credit to Ev for winning league title will be on full swing to defend guardian angel Pep .

Mou is out of equation

Ahhh Classic.

This aged well. :)

El Gato

Villarato!
Some of the best managers don't adapt to their players as much as they shape their squads and select players based on their own vision of the game. If Sarri is great enough to demand such freedom, or whether clubs like Chelsea will give that to him is very much doubtful.

About the bold part, sure. At Barcelona, only a great motivator would be able to make the likes of Messi, Suarez, Pique, Busi etc. work hard after they've won so much in their careers. Doubt Sarri is one, even though stylistically he's the right fit. There is also the slight possibility of these players having a stroke of ego after the recent bad results in Europe and decide they need to do something about that, but it's pretty slim. They do the talk, but don't put up.

Sarri is a 'Mr Never-won-anything-managerial-nobody'. To even suggest anybody, be it players or clubs should give him keys to the kingdom based on a vague idea of 'hey, this may work if you do a complete 180 on how you play' is just ludicrous. It's even funnier, because he acts like he's all staunch and standing his ground waiting for the players to just change their minds and decide to do some work on their styles. Lol. He'll probably be gone within a month or two, as soon as the specter of finishing 7th will become a reality.

No great motivator can make your vets run. They've done their running in the past 10 years. All they're here for is their retirement money and to walk their way to domestic titles given against 80% of the league they won't even need to kick into the 3rd gear of intensity. Even that fancypants good uncle popstar with glasses has never ever worked with players that already made their name playing another way.

serghei

No great motivator can make your vets run. They've done their running in the past 10 years. All they're here for is their retirement money and to walk their way to domestic titles given against 80% of the league they won't even need to kick into the 3rd gear of intensity. Even that fancypants good uncle popstar with glasses has never ever worked with players that already made their name playing another way.

They run fine in the derbies in La Liga. Don't know what games are you seeing, but saying they won't run no matter what the manager does is rubbish. If the players don't run enough it's the manager's job to fix that.

This whole view of yours like the manager isn't central to the issues of a team is laughable. You already are seeing an improvement in motivation with Madrid under Solari, compared with Lopetegui.

Players usually give more when they are made to by the manager.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
They run fine in the derbies in La Liga. Don't know what games are you seeing.

You don't even make an effort to think through the content do you? This is basically the point. They score 2-4 goals against half the league by half time, do a sprint and score a freekick here and there, and when derbies come they're like "ah, ok, well this is a shift I guess, it'll take a bit more to take care of business". I mean how do you not see that man?

Hamzah

High Definition Member
They run fine in the derbies in La Liga. Don't know what games are you seeing, but saying they won't run no matter what the manager does is rubbish. If the players don't run enough it's the manager's job to fix that.

This whole view of yours like the manager isn't central to the issues of a team is laughable. You already are seeing an improvement in motivation with Madrid under Solari, compared with Lopetegui.

Players usually give more when they are made to by the manager.

There’s been several managers at Barca recently and only lucho could get certain guys to run in big cl games, an even he could only do that for one season.

serghei

You don't even make an effort to think through the content do you? This is basically the point. They score 2-4 goals against half the league by half time, do a sprint and score a freekick here and there, and when derbies come they're like "ah, ok, well this is a shift I guess, it'll take a bit more to take care of business". I mean how do you not see that man?

I said 'DERBIES' dude. As in games vs the top teams. How the hell are we beating a very intense team like AM almost every season if we don't run at all. It's a selective issue. Some games aren't approached the right way.

We usually show up playing intense football in derbies in La Liga. It's why we kick Madrid's and Atletico's asses so damn often.

You make it sound as if we suck in derbies and only win the league vs smaller sides. Lol. Nothing to do with reality.

There’s been several managers at Barca recently and only lucho could get certain guys to run in big cl games, an even he could only do that for one season.

That's because the other managers outside Lucho, like Tata, Tito, and Ernie, were average. As I said, we only had 1 top manager in more than a decade. And 1 okay one, in Lucho.

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Didn’t the geniuses on this forum want sarri to be coach of Barca

Fully agree but they dont even come close to this genius :

Turned it around after half time, did what even pep couldn't

Some sad people were glad barca were losing as it supports their weird agenda

Barca weren't even defensive in the first half, only in the second half when atletico started pushing many men forward. Valverde then smartly played on the counter and Barca could have won by 3-0 or more if Suarez and Messi didn't ruin every counter attack.

We're basically atletico with better individuals. And we'd have the balls to beat Madrid if it came down to it in champions league.

People been saying valverde will be found out, first vs juve, then Madrid, then atletico, then Chelsea.....

Hasn't happened yet

He should be fired

giphy.gif

El Gato

Villarato!
You make it sound as if we suck in derbies and only win the league vs smaller sides. Lol. Nothing to do with reality.

You seriously have some issues reading. Literally interpreting the opposite of what I'm arguing. Where do I make it sound like you suck in derbies?

serghei

You seriously have some issues reading. Literally interpreting the opposite of what I'm arguing. Where do I make it sound like you suck in derbies?

You said the players don't run and they can't be made to run, no matter the manager. This doesn't explain why the team shows up in derbies in La Liga and outplays intense teams. Showing that the problem is not as absolute as you make it.

Instead, the problem is in how key matches in CL have been prepared by the manager. That's actually the issue. It's laughable to absolve the manager for such issues which are basically where he should be showing his value.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Fully agree but they dont even come close to this genius :

giphy.gif

1) winning starts anoeta was a problem for Barca, he won that game
2)nothing wrong with that statement
3)Barca were playing with great defence that season, and have the players and mentality to beat Madrid in cl games, unlike other top teams that have failed against them
4)factual statement at that moment in time
5) wasn’t expecting e collapse against Roma, given the result in the first leg and how Barca had been defending up to that point in the season. Losing that game is a fireable offence for a Barca coach.

El Gato

Villarato!
You said the players don't run and they can't be made to run, no matter the manager. This doesn't explain why the team shows up in derbies in La Liga and outplays intense teams. Showing that the problem is not as absolute as you make it.

Instead, the problem is in how key matches in CL have been prepared by the manager. That's actually the issue. It's laughable to absolve the manager for such issues which are basically where he should be showing his value.

Yep. They walk their way through most small games. Then kick it up a notch for the games they personally care for. Nobody will force them to consistently do at 30+ what they've already done at 22-28. Only sick freaks like Ronaldo stay this way and constantly reiterate they wish to play and win until they're 40. 99.9% of big stars after 30 only worry about setting up family life and retirement money coming out of the woodwork for specific occasions. Derbies are like weddings for them where they don their favourite suit and show up. I never said anything to the opposite like you seem to interpret. Here, I'll put it on a platter since you ignore swathes of content on purpose it seems:

(...) given against 80% of the league they won't even need to kick into the 3rd gear of intensity.

They score 2-4 goals against half the league by half time, do a sprint and score a freekick here and there, and when derbies come they're like "ah, ok, well this is a shift I guess, it'll take a bit more to take care of business".

serghei

Yep. They walk their way through most small games. Then kick it up a notch for the games they personally care for. Nobody will force them to consistently do at 30+ what they've already done at 22-28. Only sick freaks like Ronaldo stay this way and constantly reiterate they wish to play and win until they're 40. 99.9% of big stars after 30 only worry about setting up family life and retirement money coming out of the woodwork for specific occasions. Derbies are like weddings for them where they don their favourite suit and show up. I never said anything to the opposite like you seem to interpret. Here, I'll put it on a platter since you ignore swathes of content on purpose it seems:

Perfect. So Valverde should make sure they don't confuse CL opponents with Leganes, and he would be fine. Except he wasn't able to do even that in his first year.

Nobody asks the manager to make Suarez and Messi die on the field vs Getafe and such. Only that he motivates the players to approach the big games with as much intensity as it's required to win. That's more than half his job at Barcelona anyway.

El Gato

Villarato!
Nobody asks the manager to make Suarez and Messi die on the field vs Getafe and such. Only that he motivates the players to approach the big games with as much intensity as it's required to win.

It's either all games or no games. If he doesn't require them to run all the time there is no chance they will make exceptions when asked to by someone who never asks anything of them. It's the perennial issue of giving complete freedom to Messi. Either he's free to do what he wants all the time, or never. Can't have it both ways.

Anyway, derailment of the thread complete. Back on topic. Sarri is a fool.

Home of Barca Fans