Who do you want as Barça manager next season?

Who should be Barça new coach?

• García Pimenta

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Thierry Henry

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Pablo Machín

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Quique Setién

Votes: 29 25.2%
  • Eusebio Sacrístan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Van Bommel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Mikel Arteta

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Abelardo Fernandez

• Rubi

• Laurent Blanc

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robert Martinez

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Giovanni Van Bronckhorst

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • None. I want to keep Valverde as manager

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters

henias

Setien was discussed "long before"? The state of you. :lol: His name was barely mentioned on the last poll from April this year, staggering 2 mentions in the first 10 pages: http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/14940-Who-should-be-Barca-manager-next-season

Don't play dumber than you already are, he's flavour of the month type coach based on Betis beating Barca recently, that's why he's leading this poll.

Of course results matter the most. 2 consecutive seasons without any major trophy and you'd be begging for Mourinho. I've already witnessed those "should we hire Mourinho" and "our style is dead, let's try something else" type of polls here when Barca looked fragile during the Tito and Tata times. Even fawning over coaches like Klopp who ridiculed our style as boring. Just wait until Barca stops winning.

You can only take that high horse standpoint "our treble and double winning managers are complete frauds herp da derp" because Barca keeps winning major trophies every season.

If you look at the names above, Valverde is easily the best and most experienced out of the lot, not even a debate, but you'll get your wish anyway next season most likely as most Barca coaches quit on their own after 3 seasons max with this appaling fan base. And Barcaforum can continue the tradition of namecalling every single manager ("Patata, Licho, Fraudverde", Tito was only spared because of his illness). Should start to think about what sounds better already: Fraudtien or Cowardtien?

Consistent champagne football ain't coming back with Xavi, Iniesta, Alves gone and 30+ year old Busquets, Messi, Suarez. Just deal with it.

He's a rising coach who doesnt have alot of experience so you expect him to be spoken and spread around like some well-known established coach? Your point is that he was only spoken the game after Barca was terribly dumb to begin with. Of course the game after Barca ought to be the icing on the cake because he didnt get praises after the result but because how he played dominant football on the Camp Nou. So if he didnt win, then I bet people like u will claim Barca is better because of the result, flaunt how "Ev keeps winning".

Pep Guardiola didnt even have an extensive CV before he came to Barcelona, so it doeent have to be a well known coach. EV who seemed "experienced" still came here clueless because this isnt his style or his set of players. And why the fck do you keep caring about what people say in the past fcking 2, 4 years ago? Not of them are right or wrong either. If u want me to dig out the past I can dig out countless things about players like Neymar, Griezmann about coaches, about teams just to have a laugh and then claim they are dumb or fools while you yourself is not any better really. You claiming Mourinho will be superb and successful in present times is fcking hilarious as well.

You are not any special pissy boy, keep the obsession of deceiving yourself to feel better and control yourself when pissing all over forums. We'll see how he will keep getting results instead of making a fool of yourself now and then look like a complete clown at the end of the season.

khaled_a_d

was able to transform teams like Las Palmas. :

I watched Las Palmas many times during the year they got promoted, just few months before Setien was appointed and I am not sure that this is very accurate.
They played fantastic attractive football before him, their coach had a bit of bad luck and didn't make needed adjustment for 1st division but the team was way better than advertised.Setien did a good job but can't say he has "transformed" them.

henias

I watched Las Palmas many times during the year they got promoted, just few months before Setien was appointed and I am not sure that this is very accurate.
They played fantastic attractive football before him, their coach had a bit of bad luck and didn't make needed adjustment for 1st division but the team was way better than advertised.Setien did a good job but can't say he has "transformed" them.

I don't recall saying they transformed in the way they were playing, never implied it that way.

BBZ8800

Haha, like how you supported EV and discredited top coaches, and cherrypicked a few scorelines shows you have a vast knowledge in football. Give me a fcking break lol, stop making a fool out of yourself in forums.

Setien didn't make his name because he beat Barca, he was discussed long before and was able to transform teams like Las Palmas.

If you actually bothered to look a poll from 2 years ago, you are actually dumb enough that the recent poll had Valverde as the highest voted. So I assume you and others are dumb as well? And even tho Setien was not an option in the polls a few others also mentioned his name. I also mentioned I wanted Setien way back in the EV thread when debating with Magix if im not wrong. Better get your facts straight before looking like a fool.

I will see how you keep putting results in favor of EV, as if people only cared about results, and will see how he will get "results" in March-April. Already a fool like yourself and still trying so hard, gotta love that.

You like to dig up stuff eh?

:lol:

60 years old coach, a problem No1.
Barca usually don't hire old guys.

2nd thing: a 60 years old guy who has never coached a big team.

Where do you guys pull this name from, this is a comedy gold.

I know that you don't like EV, but this is crazy.

He's a rising coach

A rising coach aged 60 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
60 years old coach, a problem No1.
Barca usually don't hire old guys.

2nd thing: a 60 years old guy who has never coached a big team.

Where do you guys pull this name from, this is a comedy gold.

I know that you don't like EV, but this is crazy.

While Im still on the fence about Setien (not sure how he will handle the senior players ). You do realize Valverde was 53 years of age when he got the Barcelona job and never coached a big team before that. Just let that sink for a minute.

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
I love these polls. Later you can come back and amuse yourself how little knowledge fans have about football. Like that time 2 years ago when 80 % here wanted Sampaoli because he was doing well in November or 70 % wanted Enrique sacked in January, 4 months before he delivered the treble. :lol:

Now Setien is apparently the new thing because Betis beat Barca and everyone of course watches and evaluates Betis regularly.

All that moolah and Valverde's exciting football to enjoy in your life and you still feel the need to swing by occasionally trying to flash your football superiority hard on over the forum? :lol:

I can already see it coming "Remember the time people wanted Valverde to be retained" which you'll conveniently ignore :lol:

But then revisionism is a staple feature in the arsenal of Valverde fanboys

Pro tip: Enjoy the good things in your life, leave the forum for simpletons like us

While Im still on the fence about Setien (not sure how he will handle the senior players ). You do realize Valverde was 53 years of age when he got the Barcelona job and never coached a big team before that. Just let that sink for a minute.

Dude you should know by now BBZ has an acute case of cognitive dissonance

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Voted Henry. Thing we need the most is to motivate players and figure like Henry is someone players can look up to and listen. Plus, he has experience in Barca.

Raketa10

It looks like Setien is the new Sampaoli of Barcaforum. A rising 60y old star. :facepalm: This forum truly is a comedy show! :lol:

Last edited:

Messigician

Also. Bear in mind i tried to make my list as realistic as possible. The next Barça coach, wether now or in a few years will probably be from that list. Forget Carlo Ancelotti, Mourinho, Allegri or a big signing because it's not going to happen. Our board process to pick managers has been to prioritize coaches who have a connection to the club. From my list, all worked previously in Barça as staff or players except Quique Sétien and Machín. I think these two will be in the minds of our board because the first is a huge admirer of our club and his philosophy is the same as ours and the second is leader of La Liga in December with Sevilla, having made a wonderful job at Girona. Ah, and Robert Martinez also never worked for Barça but he is a catalan and has made a wonderful job at Belgium and also interesting jobs before in the premier. He is also speculated to be next manager by the press. (also rumored to be friendly with Independence campaign btw tho never came out in favor of Independence).

Also Forget Guardiola or Xavi, it's not gonna happen. The first said several times he will not return as head coach of barça and the second said he is not ready.

My choice went to Mikel Arteta. I have big expectations about him, he is a product of La Masia but played in Everton and Arsenal but he is in his 3rd year as assistant coach of Pep Guardiola and it's not anyone who gets that job. So yes, i would like to risk on someone like him.

Dreadful, simply dreadful. Martinez took Everton backwards and had them playing some of the worst football possible in his last season with them. Arteta has 0 experiance in coaching a top team and would end up the same way Henry is doing at Monaco.

Henry should seriously not ve considered like ever, and the real betis guy isn't a bad shout tbh.

My personal pick is Blanc to take,us to the next level

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If we're going to take another risk with someone like Setien, an older manager who's been coaching mid-table teams for a long time then I would rather take a shot at someone like Arteta who came through the ranks at La Masia even though he never made it to the first team. Someone that's been an assistant for Pep for the last three years and is his #2 right now at Man City. Was never a truly great player so everything he achieved in his career he's had to work very hard for, captained various teams he represented and been spoken to be a man of authority and respect.

It's a risk, but what the hell, just take a risk on someone that's at least younger and an upcoming manager instead of taking a risk on someone that's edging towards the end of his managerial career and has achieved very little, someone who might just like Valverde crumble under the pressure of this job. Setien might also be too friendly and forgiving to our older players, such as Busquets whose time as a starter should end in the coming year or so. Not everyone can be like Sarri.

How awesome isn't it that none of our former players ended up becoming viable options as coaches? Everyone in recent times went into a different direction and the one guy that want to become a manager is loading up his bank account in Qatar and want to coach there first lol.

We've gone the safe route lately and all of the names in the poll bar the obvious newbies are safe options that have failed in other jobs. Perhaps it's time to take another risk or shot in the dark like the club did in 2008.

Last edited:

El Trencaxarxes

Laurent Blanc would be a solid choice for a couple of years. It would be a relatively temporary choice until we can get our hands on someone more interesting or until Xavi is ready to try.

Blanc was excellent with PSG and quite good with Bordeaux before that too. He wasn't great with France, but I value his success with Bordeaux and PSG much higher than his failures with an issue-ridden iteration of Les Bleus. I did a statistical comparison of some select coaches and added Valverde pre-Barça to the mix. I looked at their points per game played, their win percentage, their average goal difference per game played, and lastly their average possession percentage as well as passes per game played. These are the results sorted by points per game and then passes per game:

• Mark van Bommel - 14 matches - 2,786 points per game - 92,86% wins - 2,857 goal difference per game - 56,20% possession - 513,4 passes per game
  • Pep Guardiola - 307 matches - 2,482 points per game - 77,85% wins - 1,912 goal difference per game - 65,16% possession - 701,7 passes per game
  • Laurent Blanc - 152 matches - 2,184 points per game - 65,79% wins - 1,375 goal difference per game - 60,60% possession - 602,5 passes per game
  • Gio van Bronckhorst - 116 matches - 2,095 points per game - 64,66% wins - 1,155 goal difference per game - 54,87% possession - 513,4 passes per game
  • Maurizio Sarri - 167 matches - 1,988 points per game - 57,49% wins - 0,976 goal difference per game - 58,60% possession - 651,2 passes per game
  • Rudi Garcia - 357 matches - 1,922 points per game - 54,90% wins - 0,810 goal difference per game - 55,52% possession - 494,5 passes per game
  • Lucien Favre - 242 matches - 1,707 points per game - 48,35% wins - 0,467 goal difference per game - 56,27% possession - 555,8 passes per game
  • Ernesto Valverde - 196 matches - 1,648 points per game - 47,45% wins - 0,362 goal difference per game - 51,07% possession - 427,2 passes per game
  • Pablo Machín - 52 matches - 1,500 points per game - 42,31% wins - 0,038 goal difference per game - 48,60% possession - 401,9 passes per game
  • Eusebio - 108 matches - 1,454 points per game - 40,74% wins - 0,046 goal difference per game - 51,75% possession - 453,4 passes per game
  • Quique Sétien - 120 matches - 1,308 points per game - 36,67% wins - -0,217 goal difference per game - 56,98% possession - 542,5 passes per game
  • Abelardo - 95 matches - 1,221 points per game - 34,74% wins - -0,326 goal difference per game - 44,10% possession - 344,5 passes per game
  • Thierry Henry - 7 matches - 1,000 points per game - 28,57% wins - -0,571 goal difference per game - 49,70% possession - 422,0 passes per game

These stats are for top 5 (La Liga, Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A & Ligue 1) league matches played between August 2009 and today.

Looking at these, I think several coaches would be a better fit as far as playing style and philosophy go than Valverde has been for us. Blanc, Sarri, Garcia and Favre all look like better fits. All have been more successful than Valverde - though, to Valverde's defence, he was very much tied in Athletic in terms of buying new players due to their Basque-only policy - and have all achieved their success with a possession-based, passing-heavy approach, while still keeping a good defensive record. Favre, however, has had less than stellar seasons with Gladbach in terms of defensive stability. I think Rudi Garcia, even if Marseille have been struggling so far this season, is quite underrated and would actually be a good fit for us. The only issue with him, I think, is his managerial style which is quite strict and I could see him falling out with some of our players if they don't follow his lead minutely.

Generally, however, I think Blanc would be an excellent choice for us. He knows the pressure of a top club, both from his time as a player and from his coaching of PSG in a vital period of their history, and his tactical approach and philosophy should fit our players, squad and history quite well. I say go for Blanc. He's been out of the game for two years now, and I'm sure he's just been biding his time for a big offer.

El Trencaxarxes

[MENTION=23081]Bulgroz[/MENTION] as a Ligue 1 watcher and Bordeaux fan, what's your opinion of Laurent Blanc? And how about Rudi Garcia? I mean, Garcia made Lille a championship-team with Hazard as the main man, contended with Roma for a couple of years, and has taken Marseille to the Europa League final, so I think he's an excellent coach. I see that Marseille is struggling at the moment, however. Do you know why that is?

serghei

We may need to have to wait until players like Messi, Suarez, Busi, Pique are done to build a new team. Let age do its thing basically. They lost motivation, became to powerful in the locker-room. Basically, they are overpaid superstars who don't work as hard as they should be, and who are basically un-benchable by anyone except managers with balls the size of Jupiter. We're not likely to get a manager like that under this board.

If we fail this season in CL again in the same fashion as in the last 2-3 years, then it's pretty clear that the core of this team is done in the Champions League.

This doesn't mean we can't still do better than Valverde. Problem with Valverde is that he is poor in multiple areas. I would accept 1-2 problems, but basically, he's average in multiple zones. Not good with young players, doesn't play beautiful at all, panders to star players, doesn't rotate. Man has too many faults for a team like ours.

I like Setien but don't think he has the guts to deal with all of our key issues, he can improve us here and there but not as a whole. Would still improve our game visually, would develop players more, but wouldn't handle the stars better than Valverde is doing I think. He isn't a big name, so there is little chance he'd show enough personality to command a star-studded locker-room like ours.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans