Real Madrid

Joan

Would you bet on everyone without exception keeping it private and not letting it get out to the media? We're talking ~25 individuals here, possibly coaching staff too. And if it did media would just end up asking the players questions about their manager before and after every match, right? If it wasn't made public and Spain crashed out early and then the announcement was made the narrative would be that Lopetegui was already thinking of his Madrid duties mid-tournament, which caused the Spain slump.

I can hardly see an ideal solution to this. I feel the only thing that was wrong on Julen's part was not telling Rubiales sooner.
Maybe, I thought he'd have support from players.

This was probably the worst solution. Not that Rubiales' decision was the smartest either.

serghei

I think this was planned by Zidane to increase France's chance to win the World Cup. He really is a master of the dark arts.

El Flaco

I think this was planned by Zidane to increase France's chance to win the World Cup. He really is a master of the dark arts.

Deschamps has lead France to WC quarter-final & Euro final since being in charge and their FA extended his contract until 2020.

He's safe unless France have a 2002 esque WC tournament.

serghei

Deschamps has lead France to WC quarter-final & Euro final since being in charge and their FA extended his contract until 2020.

He's safe unless France have a 2002 esque WC tournament.

So? Dark arts masters don't need a reason to create chaos.

El Gato

Villarato!

Sounds legit. He knew he has to leave to have Madrid make necessary moves. Probably convinced Perez last week to call Lopetegui 4 days before the World Cup and announce it a day later destabilizing Spain from the inside. Next week he will probably meet Neymar to convince him to go to Madrid or something and the week after he'll do something to destabilize Germany. Result? France vs Portugal final. France wins. Cristiano leaves Madrid resigned to his fate.

#AllAddsUp

Neymessi

Really really retarded move to sack him imo. Sure it was a shit behavior and tactics from lopetegui but you aren't helping anyone by sacking him at this point.

You can all blame RM to an extent but that was stupid from rubiales. This fucks everything up for Spain.

serghei

100% right decision to sack him. Lopetegui and Madrid disgraced Spain national team and the federation and when that happens there's only one course of action.

Devils

Really really retarded move to sack him imo. Sure it was a shit behavior and tactics from lopetegui but you aren't helping anyone by sacking him at this point.

You can all blame RM to an extent but that was stupid from rubiales. This fucks everything up for Spain.

If it torpedoes Spain in the world cup (which it likely will) the blame will go to Real Madrid and Lopetegui.

From an organizational point of view I can fully understand RFEF's decision to sack him. Lopetegui, Real Madrid and the Real Madrid national players were all in on it while the RFEF and the rest of the Spanish national players were kept in the dark. Lopetegui even signed a new contract last month and committed to them until 2022.

To drop a bombshell like that 2 days prior to the world cup is an embarrassment and spits in the face of the federation and the rest Spanish national players.

No self-respecting organization would tolerate that, especially after the amount of disrespect that was shown by Real Madrid and Lopetegui. Way too many people in the RFEF and Roja were burned by this underhanded dealing. Far too many bridges burned.

Last edited:

Neymessi

100% right decision to sack him. Lopetegui and Madrid disgraced Spain national team and the federation and when that happens there's only one course of action.

Yes they both showed lack of respect to Spain NT but the stakes were too high to take such a major 'moral' step.

WC isn't a small thing. I would have given this current situation as a perfect example to someone if I wanted to explain him how sometimes one should let something wrong slide when the stakes are too high.

Don't get me wrong this is a terribly shitty move from RM and if I was rubaiales I would be angry too. Can't wait to hear what Pique has to say about all this.

Devils

Even Radio Marca are ripping into Real Madrid and Loptegui. Lmao!

Saying that Flo didn't think Rubiales had the balls to do anything about the agreement and announcement right before the world cup and Flo thought everything would just carry on as normal.

:papaperez:

Porque

Lope should of informed RFEF of the offer from Madrid and his intentions to leave after the World Cup. He has been employed by the Spanish FA for around 7 years of his career, it is the least that he could have done ethically after the trust that they put into him.

A drama that could only be cooked up in Spain really. RFEF overreacted Kill Bill style.

serghei

Yes they both showed lack of respect to Spain NT but the stakes were too high to take such a major 'moral' step.

WC isn't a small thing. I would have given this current situation as a perfect example to someone if I wanted to explain him how sometimes one should let something wrong slide when the stakes are too high.

Don't get me wrong this is a terribly shitty move from RM and if I was rubaiales I would be angry too. Can't wait to hear what Pique has to say about all this.

Imo, on the long run, you can never accept disrespect of this magnitude. I mean, 2018 World Cup at the end of the day is just 1 month for a federation that has over 100 years of existence. You can never accept this. And this is true for Barcelona as well. I don't care what the stakes are, if the club is tarnished and disgraced by anyone, that person must go.

And also, Lopetegui being sacked doesn't necessarily mean that Spain are done. It's still being played on the field, and Hierro is a legend in Spanish football. Maybe he'll do a great job.

Sorin

The right decision 100%. Winning isn't everything ffs. Keeping this guy would create a very dangerous precedent where anyone can shit on the Spanish federation whenever they want. Maybe next time it will happen in the middle of a major tournament. Who knows.

Btw, why does everyone act like they will win the tournament with Lo at helm and there's no doubt about that? Sure they are one of the favorites but people make it seem like they're the only good team in the tournament. They could just as well fail to win it with this guy on the sidelines. What then? The federation would then take the majority of the blame for not sacking him before the start of the WC. So a lose-lose situation.

JamDav1982

Other managers have announced they are moving on after World Cup. Bobby Robson did it in 1990 and LVG four years ago.

But there is a massive difference to on the sly agreeing to join another club while still under contract and having a select number of squad aware of it.

He had to go and cant have had the trust of players after that if they were not all on equal terms.

Home of Barca Fans